E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle account with all my adult children linked to it. I love the flexibility since I have kindle on my phone and on my tablet as well as my kindle. Since you can check a book out to up to 5 devices at a time it's great if we are all reading the same book, we can still all read it at the same time. I started with the very first Kindle and our Kindle collection has grown. I too was a huge fan of books but as I grew older it became more difficult to hold a hardbound for a couple of hours (I have carpal tunnel). Not so with my Kindle, but it does encourage me to read with my little night light way to long in bed.

With the program on my phone I can do something when my hubby leaves me sitting in the car, long lines in stores, or at banks. I am a reading addict and so it feeds the need wherever I am, lol. And the books sync across my devices or I will just note where I am (say I'm on my Kindle) and if I need to change it somewhere else I can always hit goto and type in the location.

Well, anyway, it all started when my husband put his foot and and said his little bibliophile needed to find a better way to feed her addiction since we had no more room for books, lol
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I use my kindle for traveling and medical appointments. This way I always have something to read, and it's light enough to hold onehanded when I am hooked up to a machine for an hour. I'd long wanted a way to put my library in my purse, and here it is. Downside being that most of my books are still paper, but I am going to make some duplicate purchases for Kindle so that my favorites are with me all the time, no matter where I am. I've always said my original and deepest love affair was with the written word, and that hasn't changed in all these years.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well, anyway, it all started when my husband put his foot [down] and and said his little bibliophile needed to find a better way to feed her addiction since we had no more room for books, lol

HaHa - sounds like mine. We moved from a 3500 sq ft house to a basement apartment. It torn me apart to part with most of my books. But as soon I as got my ereader I actually gave more away!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I have the Nook...touch? Haha the Nook 2? :p It doesn't have the internet on it where I can look at facebook or something, but I can shop for more books. Whatever that one is. :p If I had the full internet on it, I wouldn't be reading and that's why I bought the dern thing to begin with! Haha!

Personally, I like it. I'll use it for fluff reading where I don't want to own the book at all. Being an English major I love actually owning books, love writing in books, I love ear marking pages. That being said, if it's just a fluff read, there's no reason for it to be on my bookshelf destroyed. If I rent a book from the library and really like it, I'll buy it.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had bought the Nook, and LOVE it. So much better then buying books and finishing them, then having them sit on the shelf all over your house.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a nook color and a regular e-ink nook, and I love them both! For me, it is a lot easier to carry my nook around than lugging the multiple books I'm usually into.

However, I still have to have my physical, good smelling, paper page books as well. I'm an English major as well, and when I read a book I really like, I have to have a physical copy of it as well. However, my nook library is a fantastic one for me, because I can tell people which books off of it I want ;)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I bought an iPad for apps, movie, etc. and not books. Now that I have it I spend more time on it reading then I do anything else. I love being able to bring it to the gym and either listen to tunes, watch a video or even read.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook Color. Love it. I have my magazines, books, pictures, download music, and listen to Pandora radio at the gym. So I just love mine. Can get email, its like a computer I can take with me in my purse. You just have to have a WiFI spot or have your cell phone as a hot spot. My gym has WiFi. No need for all the papers and magazine to hang around. Have lots of app to help make my life easier (planners) But I just love mine.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook Simple Touch, and I love it! I was skeptical at first about e-readers, because I love books- the smell, the paper, turning the pages... I really love books, have for my whole life. I started researching e-readers, and lo and behold, my husband got me one for a gift. It's probably one of the absolute BEST gifts I've ever gotten! I can have so many more books now without taking up the space, and I still have some real paper books- I decided to keep all of my hardcovers and some of my more loved paperbacks. The simple touch and similar models have an e-ink screen that is a must if you like to read outside. The others have a shiny screen that makes bright light reading impossible, or at least very uncomfortable.
    In short, my Nook is awesome. I stick it in my purse for air travel, for trips to the doctor, for anything that requires any waiting. I love it! :-)
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My Kindle is my best friend. I was the last in my book club to get one because I didn't think I'd like reading on a screen. I don't like any back-lit screens, but my Kindle is amazing! And you don't need an extra room in your house just for your books. :happy:
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle Keyboard. I still have and buy books, but the Kindle is so simple, has so many books for cheap and it's actually really easy to get used to. In fact, I can read it in the car and for some reason, I don't get car sick like I would with a regular book.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this, I have a tablet which is a 10" screen and I still would rather have the paperback in my hand. it's really about personal preference.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My phone has a built in e-reader, I can adjust the light and page colour to suit where I am, I still like to read a book sometimes but now I do most of my reading on my phone, I've always been an avid reader :smile:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my Nook E-Ink reader (I don't like the backlit screens so I stick with the original version). When I'm desperate, I do have the Nook & Kindle app both on my phone & tablet and will read on them when I have to. But I love that it is so transportable. Instead of using half my suitcase weight for books I can now just bring my e-reader!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started with a nook color and loved it. upgraded to a proper 10.1 inch android tablet and i love it. my kids and wife all use the nook now. Try it out, see if you like it, and if not take it back.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i always loved the feeling of a book and just having them in general, BUT my bf got my a kindle 2 christmases ago (so it's an older version, obviously) and i love it! i haven't been reading as much lately, but it was really easy for me to get used to. it's just the regular one with no backlight so it looks almost like paper and it's so much easier to read when i'm on the elliptical and stairmaster ;P
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have a tablet.. that way I was not limited to kindle or amazon. I can have both options available to me. I like it, yet right now I'm reading an actual paperback. My children love it as well since they can watch netflix on it. I am a pretty fast reader, and seem to read faster on the tablet.
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    I have a Kindle and an iPad2

Much prefer the iPad except in the sunshine.

But then cut me and I bleed Apple :smile:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Kobo - non glare - Download guttenburg free press books for it. LOVE IT......................Carrying around a couple of hundred classics in your hip pocket...PRICELESS! Thing keeps a charge like forever. :smile:
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle. I like it but still prefer books. I check out books from the library and I don't like to travel with them so I use my kindle more for traveling.