Your diet is not a test, DON'T CHEAT!

Options

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    "To each their own". Everyone has their own way of losing the weight. They like to earn their special snack, meal, etc. Ive been on both sides of this and its worked just fine. Enjoying whether its a little cheat now and again. Lif:flowerforyou: e is short.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I was going out to a party last night and I was a little freaked out about what to eat and calories and what not. Then I realized, for what I had left for the day, 555 calories, what my deficit was during the week at losing only a half a lb,, 250*7, all of the days I was under my goal for the past week, 632, that, for the rest of the day, I would have to eat over 2900 calories in that night to undo everything from the week. And that was not going to happen in one evening. And I just loosened up and had a good time. And, you know what, I'm pretty sure, looking at everything, that I probably barely went over my 555 and into my 632.

And I'm only losing 1/2 a lb per week. It takes a lot to undo a week's worth of work.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You do things your way, everyone else does things their way. Neither is "right".

In my world, never having a treat day or Chinese Buffet just doesn't work. To each their own. I've been maintaining for five years, so I don't stress it too much.
    Agreed...sometimes I think people who worry and post so much about what other people are doing are just frustrated with their own "lifestyle". Don't look at other diaries if you think you'll see someone "cheat", as you call it.

BTW, eating something "normal" or going over your calories now and then isn't cheating...it's real life! :huh:

Live and let live..
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I stuff my face every single saturday and ive still managed to lose all this weight. I do so well 6 days a week and if i didnt allow myself a day off from counting id go mad! I think its really unsupportive that u get angry at people bcoz maybe they can do something that u cant! Im only going to live once and i dont wnt to spend my whole life knowing i need to watch and count every morsel every day! i really look forward to my saturdays and it spurs me on!

Same here, I take Saturdays off....I need a day off without counting or logging. It doesn't mean I binge all day, it just means that we usually eat out and I eat what I want for that meal :)
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with the OP. if you want it your gonna get it. You just have to want it and bad. If people are saying treating yourself makes you feel good. Then why do I get the same things in my news feed.. People beating themselves up over how much they ate and are STILL eating. I'm all with a treat but I'd have to agree with it being an actual lifestyle change. How do these people expect to keep the weight off? Surely they cannot work be a parent have hobbies and kill it 7 days a week at the gym. Be realistic. I cheat but even when I quote on quote "cheat" it's having a steak chalupa from taco bell or a visit to moes southwest grill or panera ONCE A MONTH and even then I'm not techniquely cheating because it fits into my calorie intake for the day even before excercise. If you switched to veggies and baking all ur meat now what bout when u get off ur diet? Are u then going to fry up the whole world and not eat veggies ? Think where that will get u.? & I as well have achieved great results with this mind set. :flowerforyou:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    RIGHT!! Who are you cheating - YOURSELF. Makes no sense to work so hard and think you're getting away with sneaking things or not logging something. I'm trying to encourage my oldest daughter to join, around 300 lbs. But she's not ready or in denial. So until you're ready to do the work for yourself, you can't force it on someone.

BTW - OP - you've done awesome. I also have a shirt I'm saving to see the difference. It was me in that shirt that saw I was SO HUGE!! When you're done, your shirt will be a dress. Best wishes for the future.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow, if it bothers you that much then just "unfriend" them!

Just because you are angry that you are not allowing yourself some slack every once in a while does NOT mean that everyone else doesn't get to.

I will use my 4 year old's favorite saying..."You are not the boss of me". :smile:

In all seriousness though, you anger makes me think maybe you either need to loosen your reins a bit or just unfriend these people that you are jealous of.

This.

Don't worry what everyone is doing. You don't know 100% of the story of peoples choices, just the one side they choose to say. Just focus on you. Everyone loses different ways and everyone is on their own journey, finding out what works for them. Just because your 'diet' doesn't allow 'cheating' doesn't mean your 'diet' is the right one.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on my friends list who have trouble with bad eating on the weekends. And it kind of aggravates me. Because they have so much potential and they could do so well with their weight loss if they just stayed on track. Sure, everyone has bad days, but the weekend is not a "get out of jail free" card! You can't just do well all week, and then say "oh it's okay to have a snack today, or it's okay to go to a chinese buffet tonight". I'm not sure what kind of diet everyone is on, but on my diet, cheating all weekend is not allowed. So I stick to the plan, and when my Tuesday weigh in comes around, I always see amazing results. Because this is a lifestyle change. This is my lifestyle change, it has become a habit. It is not something that I cheat on, and it is definitely not a test. I just don't get why you would waste a whole week of good work for one weekend of bad meals because it's what you want in the moment, but it's not doing your body any good.

It all comes down to one simple question: HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

Idk if i took this post different then others, but there is a difference between having a cheat meal or day then being good all week and then taking those 3 days over the weekend going way over cals and stalling their progress, i definitely believe these are two different things. I took her post as meaning the latter. A cheat meal/day in moderation should not harm your weight loss effort, but i believe DAYS of binging may have you in a vicious cycle of gaining and losing the same few pounds. I dont think she meant she deprives herself of these things all the time. Just my thought lol
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with the OP. if you want it your gonna get it. You just have to want it and bad. If people are saying treating yourself makes you feel good. Then why do I get the same things in my news feed.. People beating themselves up over how much they ate and are STILL eating. I'm all with a treat but I'd have to agree with it being an actual lifestyle change. How do these people expect to keep the weight off? Surely they cannot work be a parent have hobbies and kill it 7 days a week at the gym. Be realistic. I cheat but even when I quote on quote "cheat" it's having a steak chalupa from taco bell or a visit to moes southwest grill or panera ONCE A MONTH and even then I'm not techniquely cheating because it fits into my calorie intake for the day even before excercise. If you switched to veggies and baking all ur meat now what bout when u get off ur diet? Are u then going to fry up the whole world and not eat veggies ? Think where that will get u.? & I as well have achieved great results with this mind set. :flowerforyou:

I guess this is just how my trainer "raised me" lol. If you want it, you will get it. :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    That is great that you found what works for you!

And some people do seem to totally binge all weekend, but for me, a treat day means more like "twice a month the kids and I have homemade all you can eat Pizza buffet and game night" ( it's not like I eat 2 wholeizzas and a bag of oreos)

Or I save up for a breakfast out with theBible Study girls.

But I works for me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    From the OP: "You can't just do well all week, and then say "oh it's okay to have a snack today, or it's okay to go to a chinese buffet tonight".

Um...actually I can. And the 40 pounds I've taken off and kept off speak to how successful this is for me, personally. I'll do what works for me, and treating getting fit and healthy as a lifestyle change where instead of eating out 7 days a week, I eat out once or twice...that works for ME.

Thanks for sharing what works for YOU though :flowerforyou:
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    Wow, if it bothers you that much then just "unfriend" them!

Just because you are angry that you are not allowing yourself some slack every once in a while does NOT mean that everyone else doesn't get to.

I will use my 4 year old's favorite saying..."You are not the boss of me". :smile:

In all seriousness though, you anger makes me think maybe you either need to loosen your reins a bit or just unfriend these people that you are jealous of.

I'm not jealous of anyone. I'm talking about the people who fall off the wagon every single weekend, and complain about not losing weight. If you binge, and lose weight, good for you! I don't have a strict diet, and I'm not trying to boss anyone around, but if you wonder why the scale keeps going up and up and up, maybe try fixing your weekend binges. That's all I am saying.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP but you did come across as very judgemental and have done in each of your replies. Everyone has to do this their own way, I went to one of those "disgusting" all you can eat restaurants last night and ate a ton of food. I do not do this every weekend but I do allow myself some treats or an indulgent meal every now and then. Not necessarily every weekend either, but for me living my life my way and changing my lifestyle to get fit and healthy is far more important than worrying about the odd indulgent meal. My diary is private on here because the only person I need to judge me and my food choices is ME. So please don't feel "sad" for me for living a healthy life that I enjoy.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    So you find cheating on tests acceptable?

This was my first thought, too... LOL
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people do or don't do? You do you, let them do them.

Oh and as a trainee teacher, I get way more upset when people cheat on tests than on diets. It's probably way more detrimental in the long run too.
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    RIGHT!! Who are you cheating - YOURSELF. Makes no sense to work so hard and think you're getting away with sneaking things or not logging something. I'm trying to encourage my oldest daughter to join, around 300 lbs. But she's not ready or in denial. So until you're ready to do the work for yourself, you can't force it on someone.

BTW - OP - you've done awesome. I also have a shirt I'm saving to see the difference. It was me in that shirt that saw I was SO HUGE!! When you're done, your shirt will be a dress. Best wishes for the future.

thank you!
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    Why do you care what other people do or don't do? You do you, let them do them.

Okay, I guess when I was 340 lbs, and desperately trying to lose weight, I just wish someone would help pull me back to reality and not let me cheat at all so I could lose the weight. I understand how they feel though, falling off the wagon sucks.
  • EssentialElement
    Options
    Well put. Diet just signifies the way you eat. You can have a healthy diet or an unhealthy diet. If you change your eating habits you want them to be in a healthy way. Snacking on unhealthy products can lead to slower weight loss goals and poor eating habits. So just drink some water when the cravings start. Or have a healthy snack rather than an unhealthy one. Let the diet be part of your lifestyle. Don't let food make you. It was really intended on fueling the body.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    To the OP .. - It's true I mean if people can do it living off mc Donald's because well that's how there life is based off of fast food because of whatever personal reason . And they can fit it into there calorie goals. Shoot good for them. But I mean more then 1/2 of us cannot stick to that commitment since it in turn usually deals with you putting in a great deal of excercise. I'm sure some people can do this. But not everybody can so I don't think it's realistic. I haven't thrown on a straw hatt and started growing veggies in my garden but I've surely changed 80% of my diet and that 80% I intend to keep. Changing my diet has yielded great results not only for my weightloss but for my hair, nails, taste buds. Everything. I've learned a serious lesson the healthier you eat the more you can eat of it a cup of broccoli florets and caulli flower is about 25 cals. Compare that to a side of fries. You don't have to deprive yourself I make my broccoli and cauliflower taste freaking amazing lol. And I will surely keep it with me from now on. You can't out excercise a bad diet.
  • ivoryplume
    Options
    I give myself one day a week where I don't worry about calories, but I don't go crazy. I don't overeat or eat until I'm full to bursting, but if my husband wants to get pizza on Saturday? I let him, and I'll have a couple slices myself. I have two people in my life (a cousin and a friend) who are fitness instructors (and the fittest people I know) who use this method for themselves. I trust their advice, and it's worked for me. I think, for me, it's because I'm not depriving myself (which means I won't binge when I get my hands on what I'm craving). I just say "I can have that on Saturday if I still want it by then. So I ate a slice of cheesecake yesterday without remorse because, last Monday, I thought that sounded pretty great. I didn't eat the whole cake, though. lol I don't eat MORE than I normally would. I just let myself eat the things I don't touch during the week.

I imagine this isn't exactly what you're speaking against, but different things work for different people. I eat a primarily vegetarian, organic diet throughout the week. But on Saturdays I let myself eat out with my friends or have a couple drinks, etc. I've still lost 15 lb in the last two months using this method. I still log everything, but I let myself indulge. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as a person is responsible and aware of what they're doing and not just mindlessly eating everything in sight.