Hair weight?

Options

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. has anyone that's laughed about this ever had thick, long hair up in a pony tail?

It has to be 2 pounds, possibly more. Hold a butt length thick braid in your hand away from your body for 5mins.

Absolutely nowhere near it. When I buy hair extensions, I buy just about waist length, 20 inches of hair. A full heads worths weighs 200-250 g. Thats a full head of long thick hair. Anyway...I can't believe I am sat here, Sunday night debating the weight of hair...what has my life come to? lol
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Guys if I weigh myself after I cut my toenails does that mean my loss of two pounds doesn't count?! I NEED TO KNOW
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. has anyone that's laughed about this ever had thick, long hair up in a pony tail?

It has to be 2 pounds, possibly more. Hold a butt length thick braid in your hand away from your body for 5mins.

My hair is so long I can sit on it. I usually wear it up in a bun for work (I teach). Yes, long hair can certainly feel heavy (especially when it's wet) but it really does not weigh 2 pounds.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Googled it and found a few answers that said for hair that went past your shoulders or half-way down your back, about 1/4 pound (of course some of them may have been copying each other as sources). On another weight loss site a woman said that when she had 12 inches of hair cut off, she weighed it, and it was barely a pound.

I know the feeling, because I've gone from having my hair be over a foot in length to about 6", and I have very thick hair. But keep in mind that your neck is holding up only your head, which weighs about 8 pounds. So let's say you lost 1/2 pound from your hair cut, and the weight of your head went from 8.5 to 8 lb. Your neck now needs to hold up about 5% less weight. (If you went from a 9 to 8 lb. head, you lost over 11% of the weight your neck carries). So, it's significant for your neck, but not for your overall body weight. I wouldn't worry about "counting" or "discounting" it. Other things you do are more significant to your overall health. As others have noted, time of day, time of month, whether you drank or ate before weighing, can all make this much or more difference in daily fluctuations. So just enjoy the "bonus" and don't worry about it too much.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Guys if I weigh myself after I cut my toenails does that mean my loss of two pounds doesn't count?! I NEED TO KNOW
    Toenails are the same as hair. One toenail clipping equals one pound. So if you trim all your toenails and your fingernails, you'll lose 20 pounds!!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Unless you resembled Cousin It from the Adams family, I don`t think the hair cut will make much difference!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hahaha as silly as it sounds, I actually thought about this the other day. But it really won't affect how much you weigh.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Crazy. If you're counting hair, I just don't know what to say.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Here's a woman who cut off a medium sized ponytail:

http://euhusfamily.blogspot.com/2009/12/one-pound-of-hair.html

It weighed about a pound.

I'm not sure why you are getting so many obnoxious answers to your question. I don't think it's a ridiculous thing to wonder about, though I also don't think it's anything you should WORRY about.

If you weigh yourself daily you will find that your weight fluctuates a lot due to any number of things (usually involving the amount of water your body is retaining at any given time) that have nothing to do with losing or gaining fat. Cutting off your hair might cause you to go down a few ounces on the scale, but it won't change how much excess fat you do or don't have.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    okay U nut! Hair doesn'`t usually weigh that much, even if it's long....I had mine to my butt and it still weighed under a pound! Get on a treadmill and waste your time there...
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Crazy. If you're counting hair, I just don't know what to say.

But it's kinda so crazy it's funny lol. I don't know what's worse, her question or the fact that I knew the answer to her question? I need to go back on holiday.... :-)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs after my last wax.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Jesh...Sasquatch...
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Silliest question ever asked...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The weight will be minimal.

I remember an episode of What Not To Wear where a lady had knee length dreads. The cut pretty much all her hair off, and it only weighed maybe 2lbs. Dreads are heavy as is, and like I said, these were knee length. I doubt cutting your hair will make any noticeable difference.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    cousin-itt.jpg
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I'm getting shorter and losing my hair - so can I expect my BMI stay the same?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    haha wow, I can't contribute to this one except with a haha wow.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Jesh...Sasquatch...

Please call me Bigfoot. Sasquatch is OUR word.