Why did you let yourself go?...

Options
I've been asked, what made you decide to lose weight? How are you losing weight? but rarely does anyone ask why? I had a chat with my mom ans she was the first to ask- why did you let yourslef go? How did you gain all that weight is pretty obvious-food and lack of movement...

When I was a teenager I dated a guy who I liked,but he was embarrased to be seen with me or have anyone know we were hanging out as more than friends.I knew deep down that was why we never went on dates in public.I learned through a school mate how he trully felt. Needless to say it crushed me and was a catalyst in my weight gain.

I had to protect myself from being hurt by a guy ever again.I figured if you can't take me as I am now (heavy) and see past looks, then why bother with you or love?

Years past and I only ever dated 2 guys after that experience one of them being my husband who has loved me through all my sizes,but understands I need to lose this weight for me.Which makes me feel like the luckiest girl alive ^u^

So I ask you now why did you let yourself go?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Because our society allows mothers to use pregnancy and having children as a valid excuse to get fat and stay that way. Pure and simple. I used my children as an excuse to not work out.
  • JuanaViviane
    Options
    I never put on that much weight but when i was 16 i was about 57kg and when my boyfriend broke up with me I put on 6kg. When I was 18 I moved to Ireland and started eating really unhealthy and put on another 7kg. Then I was 70kg and went on holidays and put on another 3.
    And then I decided to lose weight because my favourite jeans didn't fit me anymore plus it's my sisters wedding in 2 weeks and i want to look good :)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    Because our society allows mothers to use pregnancy and having children as a valid excuse to get fat and stay that way. Pure and simple. I used my children as an excuse to not work out.
    Isn't that the truth, I am actuallyl osing weight to hae a baby lol
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Complacency and denial.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I never put on that much weight but when i was 16 i was about 57kg and when my boyfriend broke up with me I put on 6kg. When I was 18 I moved to Ireland and started eating really unhealthy and put on another 7kg. Then I was 70kg and went on holidays and put on another 3.
    And then I decided to lose weight because my favourite jeans didn't fit me anymore plus it's my sisters wedding in 2 weeks and i want to look good :)

Guys can be awful somteimes :( Really happy you have a motivator to lose weight now though ^u^
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    Complacency and denial.
    Yes !! I think I avoided clothes shopping as much as I could :/
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater but found it hard to work out exactly the emotions were. Then I got sucked into the roller coaster of sugar highs and lows and found it difficult to stop. Fortunately I now know how better I feel when I eat well though it's still a challenge. I can't even begin to imagine what a blow it would've been to find out the guy you were dating didn't want to be seen with you. So shallow! But we take it all on board don't we and make it our problem when it's actually theirs.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My excuse for years was that I didn't have time with school, work, social life, etc. Now I am doing all of that plus more and I am finding time to workout and making it a must do on a daily basis. I thought I would feel tired if I added one more thing to my busy schedule but I actually have more energy!
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I can't really answer it. I'm not sure what made me gain weight to begin with. But regaining 30+ after losing almost 100, a big part was because I was very uncomfortable with the attention from men I was starting to get. :(
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Depression and losing sight of myself.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    I grew up and didn't adapt my eating habits. I am 23 now, but up until I was about 20 or 21 I could eat anything I wanted and never work out...and not gain a pound. I hit that normal curve in life where teenage girls turn into women and haven't been taught how to eat/act in a healthy manner. Now I have to lose some weight and relearn how to live.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well, because I greatly enjoy

Soda
    Fast Food
    Pizza
    Candy
    Salty Snacks
    Fried Chicken
    etc
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    I just didn't care enough about myself
  • Glassblaster
    Options
    My mother died in my livingroom. I ate my way through my grief. Within a year I had gained 75 pounds.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    For me. I was super physically active but I didn't know I ate too much. I didn't pig out, binge, or mindlessly eat, and I ate all healthy, everyone always said I was the healthiest eater they knew, but the fat piled on year after year, marathon after marathon, until I finally learned to eat less and paid off the calorie debt --> long story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Oohtobethin
    Oohtobethin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Initially depression. But then I got better and things levelled out.
    Once I got the implant (contraceptive) though it just piled on even though I was eating the same.
    I've been working out and eating reaaaaaallly well for about 6 weeks and only lost 6 pounds, half of what I should've lost.
    I'm getting the implant out tomorrow and hopefully that will make a difference.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    I can't really answer it. I'm not sure what made me gain weight to begin with. But regaining 30+ after losing almost 100, a big part was because I was very uncomfortable with the attention from men I was starting to get. :(

I think saying how we got to this weight is so easy but understanding why we stopped caring about ourselves and life is tha hardest. The fact that you lost 100lbs once means you are stonger than you think doll and gaining 30lbs is nothing :) I wish you the best and keep looking forward. Embrace the attention but don't get intimidated by it doll you are awesome for losing that much weight ^u^
  • BuhbyeBooty
    Options
    I just didn't care enough about myself

This ^
  • francesiax
    Options
    Sports injury and then laziness set in.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    My mother died in my livingroom. I ate my way through my grief. Within a year I had gained 75 pounds.
    I am so sorry for your loss but think you are incredible for picking yourself up and taking control, good luck in all your endeavours!