Am I the only super slow runner on the planet?

Options
I run a 16 minute mile. Yes, you heard me. 16 minutes. Sometimes 16.5 minutes.
I CANNOT find a calculator that will tell me how many calories I have burned running at this pace. The slowest I have found is 12 minutes. Runkeeper tells me I am burning the same number of calories when I walk at that pace. I find that difficult to believe given the difference in physical effort between the two.

Does anyone else run as slowly as me? Come on, I need some validation! :laugh:

Replies

• BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sounds like about 3.5 mph. Walking pace is a reasonable choice but as you are running it, maybe just add 10%. In the long run ( pun intended), it shouldn't make much difference unless you are doing like 8 hours a day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that the reason your software is calculating it that way is that 3.5 to 4mph is a brisk/fast walk for many people, running for others.

My best suggestion would be to invest in a heart rate monitor, that way you're not relying on a piece of software that's probably not taking into account individual differences.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Barring an HRM, I would just estimate.

I used the database to see how much it would say I burned walking at 4.5 mph. It said 504 for 60 minutes. Running at that pace for 60 minutes, I would burn around 550 to 600 calories. So, I'd say you could add 10% pretty safely to the figure.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I run at 5.2 mph on the treadmill, and I thought that was pretty average. When I am running with friends, I try to stay together, I figure we are at the same fitness level. But, I find it hard! I can't get up past 5.2 without seriously trying to catch my breath, and my leg muscles just burn. I do try to push myself, but once I'm out of that comfortable pace, it's just impossible.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that the reason your software is calculating it that way is that 3.5 to 4mph is a brisk/fast walk for many people, running for others.

My best suggestion would be to invest in a heart rate monitor, that way you're not relying on a piece of software that's probably not taking into account individual differences.
    That is quite an excellent idea. Thank you for that suggestion.
    I think I just have short legs. :blushing:
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    I run at 5.2 mph on the treadmill, and I thought that was pretty average. When I am running with friends, I try to stay together, I figure we are at the same fitness level. But, I find it hard! I can't get up past 5.2 without seriously trying to catch my breath, and my leg muscles just burn. I do try to push myself, but once I'm out of that comfortable pace, it's just impossible.
    I run 4 MPH and that is fast for me, a 15 minute mile. On the road I go a bit slower.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I run/jog at about a 4.0 (or slightly slower) pace - which comes out to about a 16 minute mile. I've never been much faster than that. I have short, heavy legs - so I'm sure that adds to my personal slowness. I honestly think as long as it's a pace that's making you work, that's all that matters. I am not at all a runner naturally, but a few years ago, I even completed a marathon at this pace, so it is possible - and you are definitely not alone. However, as you state, it's not easy to find something that will calculate the calorie expenditure for this pace because, as others have pointed out, most run/jog at at least a 5.0 pace. This calculator may help: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc. I usually just put in "jogging" rather than running, if that helps. :O)
  • Raylea00
    Options
    You are absolutely not the slowest runner on the planet. I jog about the same. I recently finished my first 5K in 45 minutes, so that makes a 15 minute mile. I feel my speed will come with time, consistency and shedding the weight. As far as calories, I also agree with a HRM. My husband has a watch he uses and some kind of chest device. I have used it before and my calories burned were very different from what computer modules say. Sometimes more and a lot of times way less. Regardless, you are excercising and getting healthy, that is the best benefit of all. Keep that up!
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Yay! good information AND validation. You guys are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Slow runners of the world unite! I've been running for 15 years and started off around the same speed as you. I assumed in time I'd get below 10 minute miles like everyone else seems to do, but it never happened. I do 11-13 minute miles, depending on the day and distance, and I know I've worked just as hard as my friends going twice as fast. I use the calories from the Cardiotrainer app, which allows you to specify if you're running or walking and gives you slightly more for running even if it's the same speed as a walk.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    If you keep running and strenghten up your legs, you'll start running much faster in no time. You could also change one of your running trainings to interwal training: run as fast as you can for 30 sec and than super slow for 1 minute, that's just an example, of course, but it helped me at least. Good luck!

p.s. I didn't misunderstand the question, I know you were not asking for advice on how to improve your running:)
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to have an iPhone? I have a cool app on my iPhone called Endomondo and it tracks your activity. I think it's available on other smartphones too. You set your profile - age, sex, height and weight then set your workout - walking, running, or whatever you happen to be doing. You press start when you begin and stop when you finish. It tells you your route (has gps capabilities), distance, duration, avg speed, max speed, cals burned, hydration, altitude and elevation. I love this app because it gives you cals burned. Plus it's free! That way when you enter it in MFP you can enter it as running and edit the cals burned to the correct amount. I don't imagine it's perfect but it gives you quite a good idea what you're burning. You can also do this online manually but it won't work quite as good.

Something to try. Good luck and congrats on your running. I am also a slow runner - about 13-15 mins/mile depending on the day. Keep going it will get better every day!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am also not fast - between 11-13 min miles & am constantly after the ever elusive 10 min mile!!! I would suggest getting an HRM or something like a running app (Nike + or endomondo as I have used).

Good luck & keep running!!! Just remember you are always faster than the person sat on the couch!!! :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    For all you slow runners (like me LOL)...I recently switched to the Galloway method. It's run/walk intervals. I do 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I can go farther, in FASTER times, and feel better afterwards. The faster part really surprised me LOL. In my last race, I beat my previous fastest race time by around 3 minutes using this method! I am using it to train for a 10K in November. Well, I actually started doing it because my 10K training injured my hip. This is so much easier on your body!!

www.jeffgalloway.com
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    On calories burned, it doesn't matter how fast you go - it's the distance that matters.

Whether you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles, your body has still exerted the power to move you two miles. (It's physics.)

The only differences is you can go 2 miles a lot faster if you're running them instead of walking them! So people who run for 30 mins will burn more than people who walk for 30 mins, because they've gone farther in those 30 mins.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    On calories burned, it doesn't matter how fast you go - it's the distance that matters.

Whether you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles, your body has still exerted the power to move you two miles. (It's physics.)

The only differences is you can go 2 miles a lot faster if you're running them instead of walking them! So people who run for 30 mins will burn more than people who walk for 30 mins, because they've gone farther in those 30 mins.

This is not true. Not even close for me, and most people. I think the only people this may work for is those who are super fit. I work WAY harder running a mile, than walking one...even taking into account the time difference. I use an HRM so it's the most accurate way we have of measuring, barring lab procedures.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    For all you slow runners (like me LOL)...I recently switched to the Galloway method. It's run/walk intervals. I do 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I can go farther, in FASTER times, and feel better afterwards. The faster part really surprised me LOL. In my last race, I beat my previous fastest race time by around 3 minutes using this method! I am using it to train for a 10K in November. Well, I actually started doing it because my 10K training injured my hip. This is so much easier on your body!!

www.jeffgalloway.com
    I actually average exactly the same speed over a long run using the Galloway method as trying to run the entire way! :laugh:
  • omma_to_3
    Options

www.jeffgalloway.com
    I actually average exactly the same speed over a long run using the Galloway method as trying to run the entire way! :laugh:

Yup, the first few times I averaged the same, and now I'm faster! Woot!!!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with running slow. I can manage a ten minute mile but if I do, I'm exhausted and done after one mile so I tend to stay at a 11-13 minute page for longer runs. But if you do want to be faster, you should incorporate sprints into your runs once a week. For example warm up for 5 minutes then run as fast as you can for 30 seconds, recover for 90 seconds and repeat. When I was doing this regularly I noticed my mile time going down on my regular runs.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yep, my average pace is between 15-17 minutes/mile. I don't have anything else to add to the conversation, just wanted you to know you are not alone! :)