Am I the only super slow runner on the planet?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On calories burned, it doesn't matter how fast you go - it's the distance that matters.

Whether you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles, your body has still exerted the power to move you two miles. (It's physics.)

Almost, but not quite. From everything, I've read, if you run 1 mile fast or slow, the calorie burn is about the same, but it's more calories than walking a mile, because running is a more strenuous activity. In walking, one foot is on the ground at all times. Running is a series of jumps.

No matter if I run fast or slow, I'm burning close to 100 calories a mile. I burn closer to 65 calories a mile walking.

Short of getting a HRM, Sue, I'd just estimate using the 6mph setting, putting your distance x10 in the minutes, and use the calories there. IE, 5 miles would be 50 minutes.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    On calories burned, it doesn't matter how fast you go - it's the distance that matters.

Whether you run 2 miles or walk 2 miles, your body has still exerted the power to move you two miles. (It's physics.)

The only differences is you can go 2 miles a lot faster if you're running them instead of walking them! So people who run for 30 mins will burn more than people who walk for 30 mins, because they've gone farther in those 30 mins.

This is not true. Not even close for me, and most people. I think the only people this may work for is those who are super fit. I work WAY harder running a mile, than walking one...even taking into account the time difference. I use an HRM so it's the most accurate way we have of measuring, barring lab procedures.

Here's what I've burned in my last excursions:

Walking for 60 minutes and going 3.5 miles: After subtracting out my BMR (70 calories per hour, per hospital test) - 302 calories burned.

Running for 3.5 miles, averaging 5.3 mph: After subtracting our my BMR - 401 calories burned

Difference between running (with some walk breaks) and walking: 33% increase for running.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is for every mile you go you burn around 100 calories. Of course if you are running v. walking there will be a difference, the 100 calories per mile is just an average.

Congratulations on getting off the couch and going out to run. It doesn;t matter how fast you go, all that matters is that you are out there doing it. :drinker:

The more you run, the faster you will get, it just takes time.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I run so slow they are picking up the barricades, banners, and trash cans as I go by.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner too. I think I average about 15 minute miles. This stays about the same no matter how good a shape I am in or how my weight fluctuates. If I try to go faster, running becomes unpleasant and when I finish a run, I want to feel energized and strong, not like I want to fall down and die.

That said, I have come to terms with my slowness. I have been the very last runner in at least 2 5k races and 1 10k race. I have had walkers finish ahead of me. That's OK. I am outside, I am moving, I am doing something that improves my health and I am a h*ll of a lot faster than someone sitting on their couch watching TV and snacking.

There is a man who writes a column for Runner's World magazine named John Bingham. He calls himself the Penguin because he is slow and he waddles. He has united many, many slow but steady runners.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    IIRC, anything under 6mph is 'jogging' not 'running'? aybe you can find it that way
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    When running I find that ignoring everyone else is the way to go. If that pace is comfortable for you, stick with it until you feel like increasing it. Once a week do intervals (sprints) just to mix it up and speed up or increase distance only if you feel like it works for you (never more than 10% a week or so.)

Running is all about beating your own personal times at a pace that is best for you. Keep up the good work!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    IIRC, anything under 6mph is 'jogging' not 'running'?

Only for snobbish people who like to belittle others. Running is running regardless of the pace. (and no, I'm not saying you're belittling others, but many people use the term jogging to do so). Running is a gait. The same gait as jogging, just like there's no difference between walking slowly or walking fast in terms of the gait.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Only for snobbish people who like to belittle others. Running is running regardless of the pace. (and no, I'm not saying you're belittling others, but many people use the term jogging to do so). Running is a gait. The same gait as jogging, just like there's no difference between walking slowly or walking fast in terms of the gait.

Really? Interesting. I read it on a couple of running technique/instruction websites.

So there's really just 'walking/running/sprinting' then?
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    <~~~~~~ super super slow turtle runner!!!! even before my foot injury I was always at the back of the pack. now, with my foot injury, I turtle jog with a braced foot and knee at a pace I'm sure many could power walk at. And i dont care I still enjoy it and am getting my ol' ticker going. :laugh: i'm only racing against myself anyhow!
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's my 'shuffle' pace... I can go forever at that pace and it's my safe zone, easy on my knees and joints and I keep my form at all times. I chase finish lines, not other people, lol.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I am a slow runner too. I think I average about 15 minute miles. This stays about the same no matter how good a shape I am in or how my weight fluctuates. If I try to go faster, running becomes unpleasant and when I finish a run, I want to feel energized and strong, not like I want to fall down and die.

That said, I have come to terms with my slowness. I have been the very last runner in at least 2 5k races and 1 10k race. I have had walkers finish ahead of me. That's OK. I am outside, I am moving, I am doing something that improves my health and I am a h*ll of a lot faster than someone sitting on their couch watching TV and snacking.

There is a man who writes a column for Runner's World magazine named John Bingham. He calls himself the Penguin because he is slow and he waddles. He has united many, many slow but steady runners.

I love that guy (John Bingham) he's got the right 'tude! I've read a few of his things, very inspirational, make you wanna say "F* YA I can do it too!!!" :bigsmile:
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am also really slow - YAY SLOW RUNNERS! :) I tend to go about 12:30/mi for shorter runs (3-5m) but slow down with distance. I'm training for a marathon now, and today I did 15 mi. at a 14:43 pace. I'm 5'5".

Anyway, I have a HRM and find I tend to burn around 12 calories a minute. Each run's a little different, and each person will be a little different too. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 12 min/mi calculator, though, if you're actually jogging. That's closer to the cal.s burned for me than walking paces.

Regardless, keep it up! :) Remember: 1) Forward is a pace, and 2) You're lapping everyone on the couch!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far everyone! Just wanted to say stay at it, and don't worry about the time but how you are feeling. Keep pushing through! :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "jogging" and "running" can be interchangeable, or not. If you're a fast runner, perhaps you consider a slower run for yourself to be a "jog". But that doesn't mean what you consider a slow pace, for others, is insignificant. The terminology doesn't matter at all. Jogging and running are the same gait.

Everyone has their own standard in terms of "fast" and "slow". I ran a 10k yesterday that I am SO disappointed about because I ran it in 1:03:45. It was my first 10k and I've only been running since like the end of May this year. Realistically though, I know that speed has more to do with experience over time than talent, and I don't have the necessary experience yet.

No adult (with no running experience) I've ever met started out as an 8-minute miler. The first "serious" goal for a new runner, across the board, is a 10 minute mile. It may take you longer than it takes others, but speed comes naturally with experience and distance. You can't push yourself to be faster than you are. If you run faster than your fastest sustainable pace, you will not be able to run your furthest distance. If you run more frequently, and regularly (like once a week or two) push yourself in terms of DISTANCE, you will find yourself getting faster at the shorter runs because you don't need to pace yourself.

Edit: In terms of calories burned, without a HRM, 100 calories per mile is a good estimate. It's not going to be totally off base, and it's what I usually estimate for myself.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Really? Interesting. I read it on a couple of running technique/instruction websites.

So there's really just 'walking/running/sprinting' then?

I've read that the difference between jogging and running is a racing bib :) ...I think it's a matter of mindset
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Is your 16 minute mile only running? No walking breaks? The truth is you burn around the same amount of calories per mile, regardless of how fast you run or walk it.
  • DenisePenland
    Options
    I cant even run a mile right now!!
  • ewhirly02
    ewhirly02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try using the Nike plus running app. It should be free and it gives you an estimate to how many calories you burn during your workout. It is always really close for me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Out on the bike path where I usually run along the beach, sometimes I see walkers pass runners. I just laugh to myself a little. It's all good though, just kind of funny when you see it.

Keep on keeping on.