What's everyone's thoughts on 5 HOUR ENERGY ?

Options
1235»

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've never had one...I prefer 8 hours sleep vs. drugs.
  • 7Nonny
    7Nonny Posts: 15
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish with this stuff? It's not good for you. I'd skip it.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have taken 5 hour energy before writing an exam because it gives me the caffeine rush which makes me sharper and without the having to go pee all the time like the coffee effect.
    I take it before sitting in a chair for 2-3 hours. Sounds kinda silly after seeing someone on here ask about it, I guess it is meant to energize someone for moving around
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    I assume this is one of those 'energy shot' products you can purchase as convenience stores and what not?

I don't personally or professionally recommend them. Caffeine and other legal stimulants work on the brain the same way illegal and prescription stimulants do. It seems to me that companies are trying to market products that are as close to illegal or restricted compounds as legally possible these days.

The thing with uppers of any kind (including caffeine) is that what goes up, must come down, and it goes down past normal. The effect is just of a different magnitude depending on the compound.

Stimulants raise heart rate, raise blood pressure, can raise your temperature, mess with your electrolyte balance ("I had like five cups of coffee today so I keep running to the bathroom every 20 min!!!")), and there is always the possibility of consuming these products with other medications (over the counter or not) and not knowing they are contraindicating, which can spell trouble for you.

Some people claim to have increased strength and endurance and mental acuity on these products, but so do patients taking ADD medications (Speed) and people using street stimulants (Cocaine/Crack). If you think that 'drug' stimulants would be something your uncomfortable with, then perhaps reconsider using these drugs that people tend not to think of as 'Drugs'.

Best Regards,
    - Mharren
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist forbids it to me. I had an adverse heart event several years ago, no damage, and the ban on energy drinks, along with the obligation to possess a beta blocker, are all that resulted from it.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I used to get energy back in 2012 but now i could be doing nothing but sitting down and it does nothing, i will go to sleep on IT

Impressive necro. You should have a cake sandwich to celebrate.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Personally, not for me. I tried it in grad school and my heart would either start racing or fluttered. Switched back to coffee.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I used to get energy back in 2012 but now i could be doing nothing but sitting down and it does nothing, i will go to sleep on IT

Impressive necro. You should have a cake sandwich to celebrate.

This is what mfp was like before ACV and *asparagus*