Is anyone else ashamed to meet their daily goal?

Options
I mean as far as Caloric intake. I for example, have to consume 1200 calories a day. It's becoming increasingly easier to reach that goal, as most times I go at least 500 calories under that. I'm ashamed when I'm only 140 calories away from having consumed 1200 calories. Does anyone else get that way?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if you should be seeking some sort of therapy or assistance, as striving to eat 700 calories is not exactly healthy or sensible.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I feel worse when I get super close to my goal, but I also feel bad when I'm too low. I have a sweet spot I shoot for.

You sound like you're probably running on the low side.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Unless you just lay around in bed all day, 1200 calories is too low.

Your body may go into starvation mode and you may end up gaining weight instead.

You need to be careful esp. as someone who had eating/diet pill issues.

Please see the help of a professional nutritionist.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Not healthy, you have to eat your 1200 lady.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No.
    I can see how this site can cause some ppl to be obsessive. I track, do the best I can to plan and continue to read about nutrition and fine tune this tool to work for me. I do not take every little number so seriously. Not healthy if you do.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Unfortunitly, I have that problem as well... Still don't know what to do....
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat my goal but never my exercise calories, that's the little comprimise i've made with myself... I don't feel guilty when I do it that way.
  • maedoll18
    Options
    I've heard once that it was unhealthy to consume under 1200 calories but maybe I do need some kind of therapy, because I kick myself mentally if I get anywhere near it. I'm assuming it really is impossible to lose weight if I continue going under the 1200 goal?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have 1250 daily I'm supposed to eat. I always eat those. I try to eat my workout calories, but that doesn't always happen because I will not stuff myself. Guilty or not though, I won't let myself go too hungry either.

I've personally found that this works for me.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've heard once that it was unhealthy to consume under 1200 calories but maybe I do need some kind of therapy, because I kick myself mentally if I get anywhere near it. I'm assuming it really is impossible to lose weight if I continue going under the 1200 goal?

As someone who is a recovered anorexic..get the therapy early..trust me!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options

your body will go into starvation mode and when you do eat it will take that food and store it as fat... eat your 1200 calories a day
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...however, my goal is 1630 and I usually feel bad if I end at higher than 1500. I couldn't do less than 1200....I'd starve!!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

To maintain your weight you'd probably be adding 250 to 500 calories more... You're already at a deficit. Whenever you find yourself feeling guilty, remember the deficit you're already at.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I only feel bad about reaching my goal if I look at it at the end of the day and see 900 of those calories is from Mountain Dew. Then I feel guilty as hell. If I can look at it, see that I ate a nice range of foods, and feel no need to munch late at night, then I am happy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

As someone who is a recovered anorexic..get the therapy early..trust me!

I agree, for the same reason. Don't let yourself slip so far you waste years trying to get back to a healthy relationship with food. You are slipping down a dangerous path. 1200 is the absolute MINIMUM you should be eating. It is bad to regularly not be meeting it, not an accomplishment as it means you are treating your body like crap and not fuelling it well enough for it to perform even the most basic of functions.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    Every. Single. Day.
  • DevSea
    Options
    Try going into the tools bar on MFP and find your BMR...That will tell you the minimum amount of calories you should really be eating (subtract 500 if you'd like to lose 1 pound a week...I wouldn't suggest going any lower than that)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you feel ashamed to eat the minimum calories you need to be healthy, and it's keeping you eating well below your goal calories, it's time to seek therapy for your eating disorder. Eating in a healthy manner should not be a shameful experience. Please get help. :heart:
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not to be a smart @ss, but it sounds like you're "ashamed to..." eat the number of calories you're supposed to be eating each day.
    Honestly, this makes no sense to me.

I don't always meet my 1200, but I always aim for it. Sometimes I'm a little under, sometimes a little over, but usually w/in 100 calories close. Oh, and that's NET calories -- so on my cardio days, when I burn the most calories, that means I get to eat that many more calories, which is awesome. :bigsmile:
  • EuSaNaD
    Options
    I was striving to lose 2 pounds each week, and was given a daily goal of 1,200 calories. :noway: I stuck with it for a few weeks, but found that I started to not lose as much weight, and also felt that I was depriving myself. I just changed my goal today, and I'm confident that I will begin to lose more weight, and be a lot happier/fuller, too!! :happy: Sometimes you have to eat to lose, so that your metabolism doesn't go too far down and cause your body to go into 'starvation mode'!! I also agree that you may need some kind of psychological help if you're letting your caloric intake harm your body [by not eating enough food to fuel it]. :frown:

23796223.png