Is anyone else ashamed to meet their daily goal?

Options

Replies

• know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No, especially since my goal is 1200 like yours. That's pretty low for calories. I do end up under my goal sometimes, but not by a lot. Usually I'm only under if I exercise.

I'm not ashamed when I go over either.

Shame has no place here. It's all about progress and doing what's in your best interest. And I don't mean starving yourself.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    LOL no... I think you need to see a therapist to find out what's really going on behind this.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I mean as far as Caloric intake. I for example, have to consume 1200 calories a day. It's becoming increasingly easier to reach that goal, as most times I go at least 500 calories under that. I'm ashamed when I'm only 140 calories away from having consumed 1200 calories. Does anyone else get that way?
    [/quote

Nope but thats sounds like a eating disorder to me.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is an unhealthy relationship with food. If you can't come to terms with it on your own, I suggest you seek help. There is nothing shameful about feeding your body for optimal health; on the contrary, starving your body or over-feeding it would be things to be ashamed of.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    No, I like to fuel my body, plus I love to eat.
    And my goal isn't 1200 lol
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you have a goal for a reason. Eat girl (you really shouldn't be under or over by more that 50 cals)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've heard once that it was unhealthy to consume under 1200 calories but maybe I do need some kind of therapy, because I kick myself mentally if I get anywhere near it. I'm assuming it really is impossible to lose weight if I continue going under the 1200 goal?

No, you'll lose weight, but you'll also lose your health, your hair, your mind, your social life, your beauty...

If having 500 calories left at the end of the day makes you happy, set your goal to 1700 instead. Better yet, 2000.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    You can send your leftover calories my way. :laugh:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Nope... I'd much rather be over than under... right at the goal or slightly over is ideal... but I never shoot for much under!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat as much as my body feels it needs to fuel itself -- no more, no less. I only feel bad when I've gone over my allowed sugar intake or when I eat way more junk food than I know I should. I think your calories consumed shouldn't be a problem so long as your health isn't declining from a low caloric intake.
  • cuteangel9013
    Options
    I don't like reaching that much either.. Seems as if it's a lot even if it isn't lol
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You should not feel ashamed to eat 1200 calories in a day. This is the minimum number of calories the American Heart Association and other scientists/nutritionists have indicated is required to keep your organs running. YOUR ORGANS...do you want your organs to stop running? We're not talking gluttony at this level of calories. If you are striving for 500-700 calories a day; you are starving your organs from nutrition required to keep them functioning properly.

I'm going to say (from someone who has been there and done that...) you showing signs of anorexia. I will tell you that I was anorexic at as a teenager and that is when I felt guilt for taking a bite of anything. I understand you are saying you feel guilt at eating 1200 calories...but that is where it starts, it starts at some random number and it moves from there lower and lower until you feel guilty for any bite that goes into your mouth. Please don't let it go to that extreme. Please seek help; you can talk to your doctor, a mentor, if you attend a church (or even if you don't) a pastor or church counselor, even a teacher you feel comfortable talking to.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low. 700 is dangerous and unsustainable.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 1400 to 1700 a day......that's still below my TDEE. 1200 is too low. Starvation and deprivation is not necessary for weight loss. Eat more!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    so, let me get this straight... you feel ASHAMED when you eat a whopping 1,200 calories?

sweety, as someone who's got experience with this sort of thing, you should probably talk to someone.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As yet another recovering anorexic, take a break from tracking on this site or go talk to someone. The guilt & shame associated with eating food needed to SURVIVE is a very big sign of possible-ED/ED tendencies. Once you reach that point, you're not looking at food, you're looking at "numbers," and that gets very dangerous, very fast.

Edit: I also think many of the people saying, "OMG WHY SAY GO GET THERAPY? I EAT 700 CALORIES A DAY AND I'M FINE."
    1.) You're not going to be fine in the long run.
    2.) The issue here needing therapy is not the purposeful eating below calories--it's the negative mindset associated with FEARING eating a healthy amount of calories that is STILL low.

x2.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As yet another recovering anorexic, take a break from tracking on this site or go talk to someone. The guilt & shame associated with eating food needed to SURVIVE is a very big sign of possible-ED/ED tendencies. Once you reach that point, you're not looking at food, you're looking at "numbers," and that gets very dangerous, very fast.

Edit: I also think many of the people saying, "OMG WHY SAY GO GET THERAPY? I EAT 700 CALORIES A DAY AND I'M FINE."
    1.) You're not going to be fine in the long run.
    2.) The issue here needing therapy is not the purposeful eating below calories--it's the negative mindset associated with FEARING eating a healthy amount of calories that is STILL low.

^^^^
    This!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low. 700 is dangerous and unsustainable.

This.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Im not even hitting 1200 everyday tbh...I get the gults when im too close to my goal :( (I count everything including the milk in my tea)
    I have a lot to loose so it probably wont harm me too much just now but might do further down the line

Actually, it will harm you...you are right it will harm you down the road. Right now you say you have a lot of weight to lose, so it won't harm you to eat fewer than 1200 calories; however what this does is slow your metabolism down. Your body does start using your LEAN muscle tissue to fuel your lack of calories. You body will suffer because your weight loss will slow because your metabolism slows...the natural instinct is then to cut calories more, but then you will further slow your metabolism. If you actually reach your desired weight and start on a maintenance diet, you will gain all your weight back plus some because now your metabolism is very sluggish. You will then try to lose it again...this time it won't be as easy as the first time, you may cut calories even more drastic then the first time you tried because you aren't losing weight as you did the first time. It's a viscous most commonly known as yo-yo dieting.

It's your body; no one can force you to eat smart...only you can make that decision.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh, please, read more, please. Or consult your doctor or dietician. Please. 1200 is the least number of calories you should be eating daily. Please.

I had never commented on any of the threads but reading that you were subsisting on 500 calories got me so worried I had to respond.