Here comes Honey Boo Boo

Options

Replies

• ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    I've taken many psychology classes.

Really? You're 18. How many psychology classes would you say you've taken? Probably not as many as the psychologist who wrote the article.
    really? i'm going on 19 and I'm in college. I took many elective psych classes in highschool and am in a few currently
  • LetMeBeFrankWithYou
    Options
    Chelsea, what you may not understand is the actual lack of cognitive development in children at that age. They simply do not have adequate mental faculties to make decisions of that magnitude.

As adults, it is our absolute duty to make these decisions on their behalf and do what is in their best interests in the long term.

Let me give you an example relative to this site: If I asked my daughter (5yo) if she wanted to live solely on a diet of strawberry milk and cookies, would she be enthusiastic? Damn right she would. However, I know enough to realise that it would not be in her best interests to let her (or even give her that option in the first place).

^^^ This ^^^ kind of thinking should be common sense. Unfortunately nowadays, common sense is not-so-common.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    That show, the network that allows it to be made and the people that watch it are all perfect examples of what is totally wrong with this once great nation.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    That show, the network that allows it to be made and the people that watch it are all perfect examples of what is totally wrong with this once great nation.
    Wow, you're awfully arrogant.
    Hi, nice to meet you Perfection, didn't know god created you.
    You can't put down everyone that watches a show just because you don't like it. Grow up.
  • RainHoward
    Options
    You can't put down everyone that watches a show just because you don't like it. Grow up.
    Yes, yes I can. If you watch a show like that and even go so far to support it and the people that watch it, that tells me all I need to know about you, your intellect (or rather lack of) and exactly what kind of person you are. Arrogant? No. Intelligent enough to find the marketing of such drivel and mindless garbage disturbing, absolutely. Disgusted by the fact that so many Americans find such trash entertaining to be quite disturbing, absolutely.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Yes, yes I can. If you watch a show like that and even go so far to support it and the people that watch it, that tells me all I need to know about you, your intellect (or rather lack of) and exactly what kind of person you are. Arrogant? No. Intelligent enough to find the marketing of such drivel and mindless garbage disturbing, absolutely. Disgusted by the fact that so many Americans find such trash entertaining to be quite disturbing, absolutely.
    you think you know who I am because of the shows I watch? I think not. I'm 19 Years old, graduated high school early! I'm a freshman in college. I live in a very small town, but I'm very smart. I am the mother of a very smart, talented little girl. Grow up. You're making yourself sound so arrogant it's not funny.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the couple of recent posters who have helped restore my faith in mankind a little :wink:

Oh and Chelsea, before you go around touting your expertise in Psychology from a couple of highschool elective classes, please take a step back and understand that there may be more qualified people out there who are making statements about the potential harm of this beauty pageant lifestyle.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Thank you to the couple of recent posters who have helped restore my faith in mankind a little :wink:

Oh and Chelsea, before you go around touting your expertise in Psychology from a couple of highschool elective classes, please take a step back and understand that there may be more qualified people out there who are making statements about the potential harm of this beauty pageant lifestyle.
    I didn't say I know it all, I'm saying you've missed my point in the post entirely. It's about their family and the love and faith they have. Not about the pageant. That's the Toddlers and Tiaras show!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Calling anything labelled as "Reality TV" real is laughable.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    hey, i watch that show and i'm pretty damn smart.:happy:

anyway i don't agree with blocking out all pop culture trends because they're "stupid". i like to keep up and experience things for myself. many times interesting conversations and social analysis come from tv shows and characters like this.

i didn't have a tv or watch tv all through my 20's...i got cable for the first time two months ago and for the most part i enjoy it

there are so many shows (especially reality) with so many problems ... for example i cannot not sit through one whole episode of:
    jersey shore
    cheaters
    keeping up with the kardashians
    gallery girls
    married to jonas (barf)
    martin
    anything with guy fieri
    there's more but movin on...

maybe i like honey boo boo more because i grew up poor? who knows

please don't attack me for expressing my opinion, i respect yours and just to be clear i am not attacking anyone on here!
  • RainHoward
    Options
    Calling anything labelled as "Reality TV" real is laughable.

Sadly so many in America have been convinced that it is "real" and that people actually live life as they do on these shows. What I find more disturbing is the number of people willing, even eager, to put themselves, their children and their life on national television for the amusement of the masses for nothing more than a paycheck. Honestly, just what is your self respect worth? Or the long term emotional health of your children? Apparently what ever they're getting paid.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options

anyway i don't agree with blocking out all pop culture trends because they're "stupid". i like to keep up and experience things for myself. many times interesting conversations and social analysis come from tv shows and characters like this.

i didn't have a tv or watch tv all through my 20's...i got cable for the first time two months ago and for the most part i enjoy it

there are so many shows (especially reality) with so many problems ... for example i cannot not sit through one whole episode of:
    jersey shore
    cheaters
    gallery girls
    married to jonas (barf)
    martin
    anything with guy fieri

btw right now i'm watching intervention for the first time and it is CRAZY

Agree 100% I like it because I grew up country (:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    All other stuff aside, hooking a child on copious amounts of sugar and caffeine is bad parenting. Full stop. She regularly grinks her go-go juice, a mix of Mountain Dew and RedBull.

... “My special juice is going to help me win… My Go-Go Juice is kicking in right now.”

According to Good Morning America, a bottle of Go Go juice contains as much caffeine as two cups of coffee...

Yep, awesome parenting!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

jersey shore
    cheaters
    gallery girls
    married to jonas (barf)
    martin
    anything with guy fieri

I grew up in the country. Is this supposed to mean something?
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    She regularly grinks her go-go juice, a mix of Mountain Dew and RedBull.

oooh i hate that, so painful to watch. i think she only drinks it for pageants, not that it matters im not defending it.

they have terrible eating habits on the show for example i see them make spaghetti and the sauce is ketchup and country crock melted in the microwave!

its shocking, reminds me of the crap i ate when i was young and makes me laugh a little out of embarrassment

i don't think it's healthy for the kids i hope they get some veggies at some point i never see them eat fruit or veggies or drink water on that show! unless the camera only chooses to highlight the bad stuff to make them seem more "trashy"
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options

jersey shore
    cheaters
    gallery girls
    married to jonas (barf)
    martin
    anything with guy fieri

They're a low class family. Country and not quite rich. They're clipping coupons to make sure alana gets to do her pageants. watch the show, its about the family, not the pageant.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Not only did I grow up in the country, I live fairly close to Honey Boo Boo. No one around here acts like that.

Even the article quoted on the front page has multiple people from the town saying, "Yeah, they're making us look bad because no one around here actually acts like that."

It's basically a show about eccentric people who don't act like anyone else around them, dressing up to look like someone they're not, and it's lauded by idiots for "keeping it real". Hilarious.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    All other stuff aside, hooking a child on copious amounts of sugar and caffeine is bad parenting. Full stop. She regularly grinks her go-go juice, a mix of Mountain Dew and RedBull.

oooh i hate that, so painful to watch
    That i totally agree with, she shouldn't do that. But she only does it during a pageant. Once every few months or whatever. During the show, they show they're on a diet. All of them weigh in and all.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Everyone entirely missed the point of this. (: just saying. It wasn't a thread to argue on.
  • RainHoward
    Options
    So because I was raised in a non urban, rural setting I should like trash television, talk like an uneducated baboon and make a general *kitten* of myself?
This discussion has been closed.