"you'd be pretty if you were skinny"

Options
demonlullaby
demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
Okay..
so this has happened on two different occasions where I was in a public bathroom doing my make up or whatever and a lady has told me.
"you would be beautiful if you were skinny"
......... i always take this as an insult though i'm not sure if it is.

today at work a lady came in and told me-
"if you lost weight you'd look so pretty"

HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? for some reason it makes me feel so sad and ugly... I guess at the same time it's pushing me more to lose weight. I just don't know how to feel about it.

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment and use it as motivation. Since more than one person has said it, you must have a pretty face or something.
  • KrayKira
    Options
    I'd be pissed if it was me...
  • laurin2010
    Options
    -true beauty lies within
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This happens a lot. Remember that people are stupid and insensitive.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hate that "compliment." Since when was being skinny a requirement for being considered pretty?
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    -true beauty lies within

^^ What she said
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yep ..... and even after Ive lost weight people still occasionally tell me what a beautiful face I could have if my cheeks weren't so chunky
  • melissanne81
    Options
    Take it as a compliment and use it as motivation. Since more than one person has said it, you must have a pretty face or something.

It's a ****ty, backhanded compliment.

What is wrong with these people? I can't imagine saying that sort of thing to someone. Yeah I might think it but say it out loud? Never.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

I don't eat cake :angry:

It was all I could do not to pour a drink over his head.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Well at least it means you have a nice face!!! Better than, 'You could lose weight but you'd never be pretty'...Try and see the positive side of it and if you're overweight start shedding the pounds and you'll never hear it again :)
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me and I think it's pretty rude... First of all "skinny" doesn't make people beautiful!!! That's the most important thing to realize. It took me a while to get that myself.

But don't get upset about it. If you can use it to your advantage - as motivation or as a thought when you do kickboxing ;-) - then do it. Otherwise, don't think about it anymore.
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    umm, i think if I heard that comment directly to my face, my hand would be itching to slap something... or someone.... I know that that comment is not MEANT to be mean, but it still is. I wish people would think before they speak...
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Could be worse. My sister tells me I'm always going to have a derpy eye and acne no matter how skinny I get. :laugh:

It doesn't matter what people think of you, unless you let it matter.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

You should have done it.
  • hb817
    hb817 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hate that "compliment." Since when was being skinny a requirement for being considered pretty?

Seriously!!!!!!!!!!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."

THIS.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Damn, I might have.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just got told that recently -_-
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    That is rude beyond words!! even if it was true.

next time say something like "Yeah but the skinner I get, the ugy-er you are, so how does that work?":huh: