"you'd be pretty if you were skinny"

Options

Replies

• KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "You'd be so pretty if you would just lose weight" Heard it many, many times. The older I get, the more I realize I just don't give a crap what people think.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    489152120213163528.png

I love this ... especially the "Zelduh" shirt. :laugh:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    That happened to me my entire childhood. I was overweight at about 6 years old and obese by the time I was 8 years old. (At 8, I was 4'9" tall and weighed 100 lbs.). I spent most of my life hearing how pretty my face was... and how id look so much better if i was smaller..... then people started asking me why i was angry and sad all the time. I didn't grow up with good role models on how to eat and my family's idea of love was food. That's something I never want to pass on to my children. I've battled my weight for nearly 30 years and it's still an uphill battle, but yes, heard that many many times.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would have said "you'd be pretty if you didn't speak". Then I would have hissed at 'em.

haha! maybe i'll start adding a hiss at the end of my reply.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was sitting next to a guy that grabbed my upper thigh, jiggled it, and told me I need to work out more. OH my gosh what an *kitten*!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yes and they usually get something equally as rude said back to them.

"Really? Well you'd sound intelligent if you kept your fcking mouth shut."
    "Oh well too bad makeup isn't going to cure your ugly."

Etc.
  • KendyDawn81
    Options
    I would rather have people judge me based on who I am. The outside is going to fade someday, and then you will know who really liked you!
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    WTF?!?! That is so freakin disrespectful. I will say, I have seen some absolutely beautiful overweight women, that would obviously look better if they lost some weight. But you don't go up to someone and say that! Just because you are overweight, doesn't mean you aren't beautiful.
    And losing weight is for yourself, not everyone else! I'm glad you use it as motivation to keep shedding pounds, but it just blows! Screw them for ever saying anything like that!! Especially some random in the bathroom that you have never met in your life. I'd look them square in the face and say, "You'd be pretty, if you weren't such a *kitten*!!!"

I agree that we could all be more beautiful if we were at a healthy size. But to say you would be pretty if... that makes it sound like you won't be if you don't! Screw that jazz. You will be beautiful today, tomorrow and continue forth as you reach your goals. Then you shall be stunning :love:
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was sitting next to a guy that grabbed my upper thigh, jiggled it, and told me I need to work out more. OH my gosh what an *kitten*!

oh hellll no! i think at that point i'd put my hair up and throw a punch!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I hate that phrase with a passion!!! That phrase is 75% why I started this journey in February. And now I am 60 lbs down. I took it as the final straw and motivation. So use it to fire yourself up and turn it into a positive and then watch their faces when you accomplish everything you set out to do!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would have said "you'd be pretty if you didn't speak". Then I would have hissed at 'em.

I <3 you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    -true beauty lies within

thats what people who don't want to change say.

people that say things like that, they want a reaction. they want you to call them a "beeyotch" or say something like "i can lose the weight, you'll always be a horrible person."

the best thing you can do is ignore them. don't validate certain people.

i dropped a lot of weight, and my uncle said to me "keep losing." i said nothing. i started doing strength training and eating more and putting on some weight, and my uncle said "your face looks fatter." i still said nothing. he wants to make himself feel better. thats all.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The last time someone said that to me it was an elderly lady that was new to our church. I decided to look her dead in the eye and say "Aww, thanks! But you know what? I'm already pretty-losing weight would just make me skinnier." Boy did I make that lady MAD! But the other ladies that were waiting were amused!

Why was she mad??? Because you didn't slink off and cry in a corner with a giant bag of M&Ms?? She couldn't get to you so she was mad ... people suck sometimes. :mad:
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You handled it better then me. I would say back, yeah its too bad that its not that case for you. I am sooo sorry.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    What gives a stranger the right to say that to you?? People always amaze me...they can be wonderful, inspiring, sweet or just plain rude. Why would you say a negative thing to a person you don't even know?? What would be the motivator??
    Maybe they are just DUMB....
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

I don't eat cake :angry:

It was all I could do not to pour a drink over his head.

Once had an older gentleman (a complete stranger) tell me, "You should lose that weight while you're young. If I were a young man, I wouldn't court no big girls." :noway: :angry:
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What a horrible thing to say to someone.

All I can say is that I'm thankful for my husband who loved me even when I was obese. He said I was always his pretty wife. He is glad I lost weight because it makes ME happy, but he gets mad if I disparage myself in any way about when I was fat. He always reminds me that I was always his lovely wife. I think I'm lucky to have him. :)

THIS is a real man! Those people who make insulting comments to others are just trying to make themselves feel better or care so little about the feelings of others that they aren't worth listening to anyways.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    You should have said, "Well you might be nice person if you werent such a b#tch".
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options

oh hellll no! i think at that point i'd put my hair up and throw a punch!

Yeah, a punch right where it counts!!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    part of what kept me so fat for so long was friends who didn't want to hurt my feelings telling me that I wasn't fat, that I was solid, big boned and "still beautiful". It wasn't till I heard the truth from a guy I really liked that I finally got smacked in the face with it.....and was able to get motivated to lose the weight....

and now I AM beautiful, inside and out....

truth is truth.....don't cover it with chocolate to make it taste better.....if you are morbidly obese you WILL be more attractive when you lose the extra weight

don't be a hater :)