Saving all my carbohydrates for the end of the day?

Options

Replies

• blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    EccentricDad, dude....drop it. just let it go. you are threadjacking right now. take it somewhere else....
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I do it, and I don't get in nearly as many petty arguments as you seem to. Seems to work for me.
    Well because you're winning the argument by ignoring it. Look, I respect everyone who has a conflict with me. I don't "take the higher road" and ignore it because a conflict is the result of miscommunication or a disagreement. When you walk from an argument, you are disrespecting the other person. What about their feelings? Are you going to leave them to curdle in their aggression? I am sorry but I walk on the same road as everyone else and I want everyone to feel like they are being treated fairly and their feelings matter. Is it too much to ask that you guys do the same for me when you see me tread the forums?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    EccentricDad, dude....drop it. just let it go. you are threadjacking right now. take it somewhere else....

:indifferent: Oops, I didn't even realize it, I guess I was. Sorry OP. Please forgive me for taking my personal matters out on this thread. I hope that you are getting the answers you were hoping for though. :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I do it, and I don't get in nearly as many petty arguments as you seem to. Seems to work for me.
    Well because you're winning the argument by ignoring it. Look, I respect everyone who has a conflict with me. I don't "take the higher road" and ignore it because a conflict is the result of miscommunication or a disagreement. When you walk from an argument, you are disrespecting the other person. What about their feelings? Are you going to leave them to curdle in their aggression? I am sorry but I walk on the same road as everyone else and I want everyone to feel like they are being treated fairly and their feelings matter. Is it too much to ask that you guys do the same for me when you see me tread the forums?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. What did I walk away from? But to answer your question, other people's emotions are not my responsibility. I can easily walk away while someone is stewing. When I was a little kid, and someone would upset me, I would scream and cry and say to my mom "You're making me very mad!!!" and my mom taught me a very important lesson. She would say to me "Maureen, nobody can 'make you' anything. Your emotions are your own. Own them." So now I operate on the basis that my reactions are within my control, and other people's are their own.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When you walk from an argument, you are disrespecting the other person. What about their feelings? Are you going to leave them to curdle in their aggression? I am sorry but I walk on the same road as everyone else and I want everyone to feel like they are being treated fairly and their feelings matter. Is it too much to ask that you guys do the same for me when you see me tread the forums?

If I remember correctly, earlier today you "walked from an argument" when you spouted your last 2 cents worth and had the mods lock down your "Approaching My Fitness Range" thread, correct? I mean, it could be taken as such...

And ironically, for someone who told everyone to stop fretting over the details and pay attention to the bigger picture... well, you seemed to have gotten lost in defending your sensitivities rather than organizing the great advice given you... now, when pressed you were able to list them.

But ultimately, it seemed your were more concerned with people hurting your feelings than your original quest for information.

You seem to be a master at (1) getting attention, and (2) being quite a hypocrite.

*end of rant*
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I am only repeating what I read so if this is wrong then I think it's important that you tell the OP how it really works and not correct me, but: If you are concerned about nutrition at all, some of the micronutrients in carbs actually work better with fats (fat soluble) so it's actually best to have them proportionately in each meal (hence the term "balanced meals"). As far as MACROS are concerned, eat whatever whenever as long as you hit your grams needed. But as far as getting the best nutrition possible, some micros are needed to be eaten in the same meal for best absorption. I think Calcium needs Vitamin D (sun or D3), Magnesium, and Phosphorus. The fats from your meat, nuts, or oils will help your body absorb the vitamins from your fruits, veggies, and even your multi-vitamin if you take one. I hope this helps you make your decision on your diet. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt this anyways without the necessary information.

Carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for energy. If you are filling up on the carbs at night, then it will help you stay full through the night but any energy unused will be stored and fat will be pushed into fat cells and stay there. If you eat your carbs early day after your over night fasting, the energy will be available for use and if you're eating starchy carbs you will maintain your fullness until the starch burns off. So based on the limited information I have, I would say it isn't a wise idea to eat them at night because your fasting overnight would only burn the carbs and not the fat causing you to GAIN weight instead of LOSE it.

The best thing you can do for your last meal is eat protein to repair for the day, get a big dose of healthy fats (unsaturated ones like from extra virgin olive oil or canola oil or almonds), and have some delicious non-starchy veggies to get you through the evening hours awake. Also, stop eating up 12 hours before you plan on eating breakfast. If you get hungry, drink some water because dehydration feels like hunger sometimes.

I really hope this is helpful. If it isn't, I can understand, just let me know what parts are hard for you and I can try help you any way that I can. :flowerforyou:

So would you say that i defy the laws of thermodynamics because every night for the past 38 months I have taken a 600 calorie snack to bed with me that consist of 2 cups of cereal (Reese's puff mixed with Krave double chocolate cereal eaten dry) and a glass of 1% chocolate milk and if not that then 2 golden delicious apples with same chocolate milk. And some how managed to lose 311 lbs. And I am ready to eat 1000 calories for breakfast at 6 in the morning... My Macro's have always been set 55/25/25 with Carbs leading the way.. So am I the exception to the rule???

No. What I would say is you are a very active person who takes their fitness very seriously. Every person is an individual, I was talking to the OP, not you. I don't form opinions, I just think of solutions to problems. Don't break out the science and broscience and get me involved in any flame wars you want to have okay? I'm just here for the OP.

No broscience here and definitely no flame wars.... I have been here for around a year and have never been in a so called flame war with anyone... Not my style..... I am here to offer my knowledge after years of trial and error, and in this instance I am also thinking of the OP and the fact that I do not believe frequency of carbohydrates matter.. If you are within your calorie limits for the day and are hitting your macro's for that day then eat your carbs whenever you want. Your body doesn't have an internal clock on when it will or will not process carbs that being my point that even a super morbidly obese man at 560 lbs. who had plenty of energy stores to pull from still ate carbs at the end of the day and never once did it affect my weight loss. Carbs get a very bad wrap.... As to the comment of me being a very active persons, that was not the case in the beginning for the first 17 months I could not even support my own body weight and spent my exercises time in a pool using weight displacement so that i could stand long enough to walk from one side of the therapy pool to the other... Just my two cents...

Ed is one of the greatest sources of real-life success story information on here. Don't *kitten* with him.

Edited to delete my empty threat. You're not worth getting flagged over.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When you walk from an argument, you are disrespecting the other person. What about their feelings? Are you going to leave them to curdle in their aggression? I am sorry but I walk on the same road as everyone else and I want everyone to feel like they are being treated fairly and their feelings matter. Is it too much to ask that you guys do the same for me when you see me tread the forums?

If I remember correctly, earlier today you "walked from an argument" when you spouted your last 2 cents worth and had the mods lock down your "Approaching My Fitness Range" thread, correct? I mean, it could be taken as such...

And ironically, for someone who told everyone to stop fretting over the details and pay attention to the bigger picture... well, you seemed to have gotten lost in defending your sensitivities rather than organizing the great advice given you... now, when pressed you were able to list them.

But ultimately, it seemed your were more concerned with people hurting your feelings than your original quest for information.

You seem to be a master at (1) getting attention, and (2) being quite a hypocrite.

*end of rant*

Yeah! :tongue:
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    When I was a little kid, and someone would upset me, I would scream and cry and say to my mom "You're making me very mad!!!" and my mom taught me a very important lesson. She would say to me "Maureen, nobody can 'make you' anything. Your emotions are your own. Own them." So now I operate on the basis that my reactions are within my control, and other people's are their own.

I say pretty much say the same thing to my son. No one 'makes' you feel things. Sure, someone can hurt you and be mean to you, but you have a lot more control than you think. Not that it's wrong to feel sad or angry, but taking ownership of your reactions enables you to deal much better with the ins and outs of life. Smart mom.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    @EccentricDad: Communication is a two way street. Be open to feedback. A hard lesson to learn in life is that there's a little kernel of truth even in some of the most abrasive criticism directed your way.

/end of my hijacking this thread
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I want to apologize to Ed. I'm new around here but like all of you I just want to feel welcome for who I am. Clearly Ed has made some huge progress and he has done so in a great and respectable way and has earned everyone's trust. But I want all of you know that some of the advice you guys are giving is either FAR too advanced for beginning dieters, or it's just not relevant to the person's individual goals. I make a valid point that we need to ask more questions to know exactly where the OP of any thread is coming from before we offer advice. No more 2 cents if you can help it; people want help, not egos. Keep egos in the "success stories" and the "chit chat"; every where else is for education purposes and deserves respect (not tough love).
  • lafournier2
    lafournier2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow.... hot topic. Here's my humble opinion as far as the research I've done over the past year or two on this whole carb issue. Take it or leave it, but seems to work for me :)

1. I try to follow a moderate content of carbs in my diet... kind of paleo style, which recommends about 40% cals from protein, 30-40% cals from fat and about 20-30% from carbs. Limiting your carbs helps with fat burn particularly. If you do not burn the carbs you take in, it is processed through the blood stream, the liver and converted into fatty acids to be stored in adipocytes (fat cells) for energy down the road. If you use them, there is no chance for that storage process, and any energy you use above and beyond your daily intake will be tapping into your energy stores (fat).

2. Carbs are NOT all the same. Simple carbs (ie, orange juice, a candy bar, or anything basically without fiber in it that has high carb count) are digested quickly and cause high spikes in blood sugar rapidly, and rapid descent in blood sugar afterwards (hence, a sugar rush, then crash). Complex carbs (found in fruits, veggies, and high fiber foods) are more difficult for the body to digest, so the sugar gets released more slowly and the blood sugar levels stay more even allowing your body to use them rather than having a sudden excess that ends up getting stored as fat. PLUS they keep you feeling fuller longer.

3. When you eat carbs does matter... sort of. Basically you want to burn the carbs you eat within 2 hrs of eating them. Once that 2 hour period is gone by, either you have used them up, or your body has stored whatever you haven't used. If you eat all your carbs at night, you better hop on the treadmill before you go to bed, because chances are, you are not burning off that amount of carbs while you snooze and the excess is getting stored as fat. The best thing to do is give your body an even amount of complex carbs throughout the day mixed in with lean protein and healthy fats (think monounsaturateds, olive oil, avocados, etc). That way you are digesting the carbs slowly, using them as you work throughout the day, and then at night arent binging on carbs that arent getting used up.

Carbs aren't all that bad. You need enough to keep your brain functioning; it runs best off carbs and if you dont get enough, you start trying to run it off ketones, which will make you tired, and some people even experience confusion, poor memory, etc.

Thats all. comments welcome and appreciated :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am only repeating what I read so if this is wrong then I think it's important that you tell the OP how it really works and not correct me, but: If you are concerned about nutrition at all, some of the micronutrients in carbs actually work better with fats (fat soluble) so it's actually best to have them proportionately in each meal (hence the term "balanced meals"). As far as MACROS are concerned, eat whatever whenever as long as you hit your grams needed. But as far as getting the best nutrition possible, some micros are needed to be eaten in the same meal for best absorption. I think Calcium needs Vitamin D (sun or D3), Magnesium, and Phosphorus. The fats from your meat, nuts, or oils will help your body absorb the vitamins from your fruits, veggies, and even your multi-vitamin if you take one. I hope this helps you make your decision on your diet. Good Luck :flowerforyou:

You don't need to eat calcium and vitamin D at the exact same time. Vitamin D is fat soluble which means you store it over time.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your post. I'm only posting because your avatar is MOUTH WATERING
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If I ate carbs like that I would be really hungry all the time. They just don't fill me up, so I end up always going over on my calories. That's just me.

I read a study recently which showed that people with carb heavy diets tend to show higher numbers on blood indicators for heart disease. People who ate too few carbs started showing high stress levels in their blood work. I would cite the study, but if you really want to find it you can google it. It involved a six week trial with three or four different ratios of carbs to fat. The group that did the best ate around 20% protein, 37% fat and the rest in carbs.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    When I was a little kid, and someone would upset me, I would scream and cry and say to my mom "You're making me very mad!!!" and my mom taught me a very important lesson. She would say to me "Maureen, nobody can 'make you' anything. Your emotions are your own. Own them." So now I operate on the basis that my reactions are within my control, and other people's are their own.

I say pretty much say the same thing to my son. No one 'makes' you feel things. Sure, someone can hurt you and be mean to you, but you have a lot more control than you think. Not that it's wrong to feel sad or angry, but taking ownership of your reactions enables you to deal much better with the ins and outs of life. Smart mom.

I agree to both of you whole-heartedly. The issue is when someone is intentionally pushing your buttons and testing the limits of your control. While it would be me who explodes in a fit of rage on them, they would be "INSTIGATING" the rage and then likely playing victim that I exploded on them. If people didn't instigate a fight and if we were treated with respect in the first place, then no one's patience or anger management skills would have to be trialed in the first place. So my point is, while I am being held accountable for the reaction of my feelings, the other person also needs to be held accountable for their actions of instigation any negative reactions as well. As a person who lives very much peacefully on the whole, when I get angry, I am not getting angry because I have no control over my emotions; I am getting angry because I have been pushed BEYOND my control of emotions and that person who pushed me to that point needs to be dealt with because clearly they have a conflict with me that they are not strong enough to tell me face to face.

But I agree with everyone else, we shouldn't threadjack any more. If anyone wants to talk philosophy, parenting, or theories on life, let's start a chit chat thread and do it there okay? :flowerforyou:
  • fitsin10
    Options
    bump
  • slkehl
    Options
    Ok, that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. You want to eat all your "bad" foods RIGHT BEFORE BED? When your'e about to go lay down and drop your metabolism down!!!???

so carbs are bad foods. is that all carbs? if not how are good and bad carbs defined?

What if i work out late in the day right before bed can I still eat carbs then?

How much does my metabolism drop during an average 8 hour sleep and do you have any evidence?

Why would eating one type of food at one certain time be more important that the overall intake of that food and activity levels over the long term.

please respond.

because not every one is the same, dude. Seriously........why does every twenty something muscle head DUDE think they have all the answers, especially for women?

There is evidence to suggest that you do not burn your food as efficiently while sleeping as you do while being active.

There is evidence to suggest that eating too much of ANYTHING is probably bad. There is enough evidence to suggest that it is harder for some folks, especially women, to burn LOTS of carbs and sugars effectively, especially if they are already sedentary and overweight.

And I'm not saying carbs are bad. I'm saying that as suggested by the OP, carbs are HER "bad food". I have also noticed that when my diet is carb heavy, my weight loss slows or stalls. When it's protein heavy, my weight comes off much more easily. My weight comes off easier when I cut drinking and cut extra sugar, too. That's just me, but it's common for lots of women. Just because it wasn't true for you doesn't really make it a universal truth.

The op mentioned she has problems with carbs and wants to find a way to control them. I suggested a way that has worked for me, and others have mentioned it worked for them.

Sorry that bunks your whole "I know every damn thing about every damn thing" theory, kiddo.

45 year old woman, so is my opinion more valid? There is no metabolic difference between men and women in this context.

Meal timing is irrelevant, intra day macro timing is irrelevant. there is no metabolic difference between eating your calories/carbs throughout the day compared to just before you go to sleep.

If you have evidence that suggests otherwise, please provide it.

As you mention anecdotal evidence re sample n=1, I will provide my own. I eat ice-cream just about every single day just before I go to sleep, in fact I eat most of my calories within 2 hours of going to sleep. I have lost weight at a totally predictable rate based on my calorific deficit and TDEE.

Edited to fix typo

Thank you! Some people don't seem to realize that nutrition is a SCIENCE. It can be quantitatively studied, including the metabolic processing of nutrients.
  • slkehl
    Options
    Micromanaging each acute period of fat oxidation or trying to micromanage each period of fat storage is futile and irrelevant and it's one of those things that dieters like to mentally *kitten* over.

Great way of phrasing it!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for you. That may require some trial and error. As far as I can tell from my own experiences and from reading what others say here, the people who seem to end up having the most trouble -- eating disorders or difficulty maintaining -- are those who try extreme things. You body doesn't care much if it's 7 a.m. or 7 p.m. when you eat. As far as weight loss, it doesn't care whether it's 100 calories of fat, protein or carbohydrates. But in terms of health, you need some of all the macronutrients, and you need the micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that your body needs to function properly. But whether you eat them in 1 meal just before you sleep or 15 meals spread out through the day is a matter of choice. For some people it's easier one way, and for some it works better a different way.
    For me, it varies some based on my activity level too. In my case, eating more protein, usually eggs, in the morning helps me not want too much during the day. I like having a bit of chocolate near the end of my day - usually one dark chocolate square or truffle. That or some other treat helps keep me from feeling deprived. I've also found that sometimes the desire to eat after I've had enough indicates that I should drink more or have some more protein -- maybe a cup of milk with the chocolate or a slice of cheese. During the day, I love to have fruit smoothies as an afternoon treat -- filling and yummy/sweet carbs. But that's what I like and what makes me feel satisfied.
    Read through the ideas and suggestions on these boards, but keep in mind that what works for someone else may not work for you as a long-term, satisfying and healthy way to eat for life. There are multiple ways to do this that will work.
    Good luck!