how much protein do you eat in a day ?

Options

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    258g per day, although i something hit slightly lower. Never lower than 225g though.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    On a good day I'll be between 280 and 300
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I guess I average around 70g a day (15-20%). According to the 1g/# of LBM, I should eat 90ish. I drank protein drinks for a month to hit that 90, then got tired of bleeding every day so I quit.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be over my reccommended intake of 80g by like 5 grams. It's easy once you start adding in high protein non-meat sources like quinoa, beans, or vegetables like broccoli and spinach. Once you add it all up with the meat or cheese, you can get a ton of protein in just one meal.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I eat about 130g-150g of protein a day and I only weigh about 100lbs. It's easy to hit that. I eat more than this, but where I get my protein from is

1 cup cottage cheese - 26g
    6 oz plain Greek yogurt - 18g
    Perfect 10 bagel - 18g
    4 oz of chicken (white) - 31g
    5 oz of tilapia - 24g
    4 oz of salmon - 27g

I only use protein powder when I need more protein.
  • klawthom
    Options
    I do, too! I was wondering the same thing. I am hoping that it is a good thing?
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    180 grams, sometimes slightly more
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 200+ going to be upping it soon
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Fish!!!!!! Fish is HUGE in protein. I normally eat two 4oz tillapia fillets for dinner, that's 40g right there. I also use a protein shake after I lift.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100g minimum per day.

I also make sure that my protein > carbs; so if I have 115g of carbs, I will consume at least 120g of protein.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1g per pound but I usually fall short of my goal and actually eat between 100-150 grams of protein a day

Some of my favorite sources:
    Protein powder smoothie (24-30g)
    Fage Total 0% greek yogurt (18-24g)
    Whole wheat grains and pastas (6-12g)
    Chicken breasts (24-50g)
    Seitan (9-18g)
    Egg Whites (6-12g)
    1% Spreadable cottage cheese (16g)
    Vegetarian meat substitutes (9-40g)
    Trader Joes Buffalo Jerky (15g)

I find that if I eat junk food, or "treats" its impossible to eat enough protein and stay within my calorie range. On ideal days I plan and eat my meals based on their protein content rather than the other macros. When I let the proteins lead I have a super healthy day.

Edited: CW: 160 and I am very active (in training for a marathon)
  • Seahawk27
    Options
    I eat about 140g/day, greek yogurt, protein shakes, almonds all are a good source.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    115 is the lowest I go... and up to 190 in a day. I aim for 30g per meal.

Cottege Cheese (I get the bradn called Friendship- no salt added), has 16 g of protein in 1/2 a cup, and is low fat. I also use Frigo's Cheeseheads string cheese- they have one that's got 50 calories, and you get 7g of protein from it..
  • 01lowbird
    Options
    to build lean muscle mass the body needs 1gram of protein for every 1lb of lean body mass. So a 200lb person with 10%body fat will need 180+ grams a day for muscle growth. 200 x.10=20 200-20=180 grams of protein
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1.7 grams per kg of body weight. http://www.jacn.org/content/19/suppl_5/513S.full

For me, that's at least 160 grams a day.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I have my macro's set to 50% protein,30%carbs, 20% fat... I am doing a hybrid workout system with insanity and the asylum so on days where I have a workout I try to eat 1700-1800 calories , it ends up around 212 grams of protein.. a lot of that is whey isolate powder because I could not eat that much protein...
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My goal is 110 g/day. I have my macro % set to a higher amount of protein and less carbs just to encourage more protein. But it is hard to adjust to at first. It really helps to plan out your meals and snacks ahead - I aim for about 30 grams per meal and then add in a snack or two that will get me to 110. I eat a lot of eggs or egg whites at breakfast (sometimes on toast that is higher protein), lots of lean protein (usually leftovers) for lunch, and then a larger size of protein at dinner. For snacks - greek yogurt or a protein shake or even a latte. I definitely have to think more about what I am going to eat, but I stay full longer eating more protein - and I crave sweets less. I still struggle with hitting my target regularly, but I am usually close.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I'll load up on greek yogourt and chicken as I love both (not together mind you !)

I have been looking also for protein shakes but not sure what to get as some have lots of carbs..
    any suggestion ?

There are MANY brands available that have almost no carbs in them. I really like Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate. I blend it with 1 cup of vanilla soy milk, 1/2 cup of plain non fat chobani greek yogurt and (if I have the cals) a few tsp of peanut butter.

Without the PB there it it approx 280 cals, almost no fat, about 10gr carbs (from the milk and yogurt) and over 40gr of protein.

A filling and nutritious chocolate milkshake!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My goal is 30%, which also happens to line up nicely with 1g per pound of LBM. I average somewhere between 100g and 150g per day. For breakfast I have a protein bar and either 2 eggs or Kashi oatmeal (protein enriched). Lunch is some sort of sandwich with either chicken salad or deli meat and cheese. My afternoon snack is a Chobani yogurt and another protein bar. And dinner usually contains 6-8 oz of lean meat.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I eat a crap ton. At least 1g/lb of bodyweight--usually more.