Sweet potato recipes!

Options

Replies

• jimiej
    Options
    i slice them and put on grill at aroud 400 degrees for about 20 to 30 mins spray with 0 calorie butter and eat
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's got a lot of other stuff besides sweet potatoes, but it's delicious and it's totally in season right now.

Apple kielbasa Bake

Makes 6 servings
    4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
    1 large red onion, cut into chunks
    16-ounce turkey/chicken kielbasa, sliced in 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    2 baking apples, such as Cortland, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons dried sage
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, onion, kielbasa, potatoes, apples and carrots. Drizzle the oil over the mixture, then toss again. Sprinkle in the sage, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a large, rimmed baking sheet, arranging it in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, or until everything starts to caramelize and brown at the edges.

Eeek! I was going to make this tonight. The calories aren't bad at all... works out to 238 per person. But, the sodium is OUTRAGEOUS... it is like 980mg per serving. And that is with my substituting "NoSalt" for the salt. I can't imagine if I added salt to it. Eegads. Has anyone found a good LOW SODIUM version of the kielbasa to make this with. I ran the recipe using the Butterball version.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I made the Apple Kielbasa Bake today & it rocked! My family liked it, too.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I made the Apple Kielbasa Bake today & it rocked! My family loved it, too.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I made the Apple Kielbasa Bake today & it rocked! My family loved it, too.

Here's a picture of it. It is still higher in sodium than I would like, with a single serving in the high 700s. But, it was delicious. So, eaten in moderation, it shall remain in my diet. <g>

IMAG0737.jpg
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on this while trying to find something yummy to do w/ quinoa...

•1 cup Quinoa, uncooked
    •2 cups vegetable broth or water
    •1 sweet potato, baked and diced
    •1 red bell pepper, diced
    •2 tbsp olive oil
    •1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    •2 tbsp lemon juice
    •salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Simmer the Quinoa in the vegetable broth about 10 to 15 minutes, or until water is gone and Quinoa is light and fluffy when stirred. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    Toss together the Quinoa, sweet potato and bell pepper in a large bowl.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and cayenne pepper. Gently toss this dressing with the Quinoa. Season with a generous amount of salt and pepper
    Sounds awesome! Glad you shared this gem, just yesterday picked up some Quinoa so I think I'm set.
    Sweet Potato Enchiladas
    (5 Servings)

10 corn tortillas
    2 large sweet potatoes, baked and mashed
    Spices to taste: chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, taco sauce or seasoning, salt, cinnamon, etc.
    28 oz can enchilada sauce (I use mild red, but green would be good, too). You will have sauce left over
    2 oz shredded cheese, optional
    Chopped onion, optional

Mash sweet potatoes with seasonings to taste. Mix in about ½ cup of enchilada sauce. Set aside.
    Spray 10x13 pan with cooking spray. Dip tortilla in sauce, then fill with 1/10th of the mixture, roll and put in pan. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas (eyeball it-you don’t want it swimming, but tortillas will absorb the sauce).

Top with chopped onion. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Uncover, add cheese, and bake another 10 minutes to brown cheese. They freeze well and taste better the next day.

For spices I used cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and red peppers.
    WOW, very unique I like that about it, looking forward to trying something similar.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. I like them baked whole with plain Greek yogurt and chives. Sounds strange, but the flavor combination is great.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes... plain old boiled or baked is good enough for me but I recently tried a Bobby Flay recipe that was a nice change of pace: Par-boil the sweeties, then slice and brush with cumin, cinnamon and spanish paprika mixed in canola oil. Grill 10 minutes, turning frequently to get nice grill marks. Very yummy!
    we do something very similar. Microwave slightly, slice, spray with Pam, sprinkle with cinnamon etc and grill.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/317420/baked-sweet-potato-chips

throw on some spices like garlic onion powder salt pepper paprika or whatever you want
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    LOL, this was the wrong thread to read at night, hungry and out of calories. I am stoked to get new recipe ideas, though. My family always wants me to slice the sweet potatoes like fries, toss in a pan with olive oil, salt and black pepper, and bake them. Very good side dish, but I want to experiment.
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • nlg1102
    Options
    check out allrecipes.com They have some great recipes with sweet potatos
  • nlg1102
    Options
    Sweet and Savory sweet potato chips

2 tablespoonsolive oil

2 tablespoonsmaple syrup

1/4 teaspooncayenne pepper

3 largesweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
    2.Stir together olive oil, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Brush the sweet potato slices with the maple mixture and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
    3.Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, then turn the potato slices over, brush with any remaining maple mixture, and continue baking until tender in the middle, and crispy on the edges, about 7 minutes more.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite veggie combinations is sweet potato, chickpeas and spinach. I posted a soup recipe up on another thread:

Chickpea, Spinach and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons sunflower oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 sweet potato diced
    1 garlic clove thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    400 g can chickpeas drained
    2 tomatoes roughly chopped
    1 teaspoon honey
    750 ml(11/4) pints hot vegetable soup
    225 g (8 oz) young leaf spinach
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1) Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, sweet potato and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring until beginning to turn golden. Add the cumin seeds, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and honey and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.

2)Stir in the hot stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the sweet potato is tender

3) Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute stirring until the spinach wilts. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls and serve.

Also, the 3 vegetables are delicious in a curry.

This^ is fabulous!! I use them in Moroccan stews and currys all the time. My favorite! Great with added dried apricots too!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Need to save for that soup recipe...yummmmm!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I just love a plain baked sweet potato the most. I have also baked them. cubed them up after they have cooled and added them to my green salad.
  • allyson9885
    Options
    I have sautee'd with olive oil, a bit of salt & pepper and curry powder. Very yummy!
  • yo_sushi
    Options
    I dice them up (about 5mm cube)
    dice an onion
    fry them up in butter
    add diced bacon

salt + pepper + dried chilli flakes

357cal
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    These might be some of the most delicious things I have ever had: