Acne Problems.

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, the important, active ingredient in ProActive is plain and simple old benzoyl peroxide, which you can buy in any grocery store much more cheaply, without having to sign a long-term contract obligating you to keep buying the product for many months.
    ProActive is a sore subject for many dermatologists who believe it is an instance of unfair marketing.
    There used to be a soap called Phisoderm that was quite popular among persons with acne because it was non-drying. You might want to look into getting some of that (if you can find it) or asking your doctor about gentle skin cleansers. As I understand it, that is probably your only option if you are prone to drying . . . that or tetracycline.
    Tetracycline can work wonders for some. But, it, too, can be drying.
  • MD1Girl
    MD1Girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's not cheap, but I use my Clarisonic. It doesn't really matter what cleanser I use with it. Right now I'm using Biore Ice for blemishes. The brush makes any cleanser work fabulously. My face cleared up in a matter of days after using it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My skin has been really awful lately too. I think I've over-irritated it trying harsh products, making the flare ups worse and worse.

My sister, who's had terrible skin her whole life swears by using a honey mask. Like, plain old honey. Supposedly it's cleared her skin up more than anything she's tried. I think I'm going to give it a go tonight. My skin can't get much worse at this point! I'll report back after trying.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    My skin has been really awful lately too. I think I've over-irritated it trying harsh products, making the flare ups worse and worse.

My sister, who's had terrible skin her whole life swears by using a honey mask. Like, plain old honey. Supposedly it's cleared her skin up more than anything she's tried. I think I'm going to give it a go tonight. My skin can't get much worse at this point! I'll report back after trying.
    yes let me know how that works!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have constantly had skin issues. Recently I started using Proactiv, however my skin did relapse into breaking out again.

I've had a good solid month lately without breakouts after switching to natural products, exfoliating my skin twice a week, and using a mask twice a week as well.

In the morning, I use Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions Purifying Gel Cleanser. Then I go about my usual makeup routine, being sure to use a foundation primer.

At night, before bed, I use the gel cleanser again, then swab Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner all over my face with a cotton ball. After that, I use Jason Aloe Vera 98% Moisturizing Gel as a moisturizer instead of an oily lotion. On the days that I exfoliate, prior to using the moisturizer, I use Bare Minerals Exfoliating Treatment Cleanser. And on the days that I use a facial mask, I use French Green Clay that I purchase from mountainroseherbs.com.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use proactiv. It works really well. I only use it in the mornings. At night I just wash with hot water, and use a good moisturizer. If I use the proactiv twice a day it dried out my face. Once a day keeps my skin clear.

For those that say you have to keep using it once you start, well duh. If its killing the bacteria on your face and you stop using it, the bacteria will come back and give you acne again. So yeah, I have to keep using it. Its not proactives fault.

So anyway, because I only use it once a day, one shipment will last me like 3 months or longer.

This was after one month. I get the odd zit here and there, but not the huge cystic ones I used to get.
    MIDOCT20103-1_zps7c9e3ad2.jpg
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have never had great skin, but it was worse as a teenager than now as a young adult. Proactive was painful for me to use, it set my face on fire, and so they switched me to the Gentle Proactiv solution without the salycic acid. I use Clean and Clear's Morning Burst Face Wash - really mainly because it smells nice and is supposed to brighten your complexion (I don't pay attention to my skin to be able to confirm or deny that claim.) Neutrogena's Pink Grapefruit is nice too.

Both of those have salycic acid as well, so I am not sure why Proactiv enflames my face so painfully. Perhaps it has a larger percentage? I also have a problem with my face drying out and becoming a tight leather mask after washing, especially during the winter season. I am not sure why that happens.

I have naturally oily hair, so I occasionally break out around my temples/hairline, or on my scalp, even though I wash my hair every single day. I also have a bad habit of touching my face, so I am sure that never helped the situation. Perhaps there are some external contributors to your skin condition as well.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I use proactiv. It works really well. I only use it in the mornings. At night I just wash with hot water, and use a good moisturizer. If I use the proactiv twice a day it dried out my face. Once a day keeps my skin clear.

For those that say you have to keep using it once you start, well duh. If its killing the bacteria on your face and you stop using it, the bacteria will come back and give you acne again. So yeah, I have to keep using it. Its not proactives fault.

So anyway, because I only use it once a day, one shipment will last me like 3 months or longer.

This was after one month. I get the odd zit here and there, but not the huge cystic ones I used to get.
    MIDOCT20103-1_zps7c9e3ad2.jpg

Yes but most people that have tried proactiv who had only minimal results messed up their skin even more after they stopped using it.

It is exactly what happened to my skin, it was WAYYY worse than it ever was before I started Proactiv. Somethings up with those ingredients.
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED YOU POSTED THIS.

Any cleanser with Salicylic Acid in it is going to be AMAZING for acne affected skin. Wash with one twice a day. Period. This is the single best decision anyone with bad skin can make.

But you need a scrub to get rid of yucky black heads? Recent discovery: mix baking powder with a facial cleanser with Salicylic Acid in it. Rub over affected area. Rinse thoroughly. Say good bye to blackheads and zits and yucky skin!

But you have combination skin and MUST moisturise--- OLIVE OIL. PH neutral and so won't make your skin greasy, despite your intuition to the contrary. I like to moisturise with it before a shower and rely on the heat of the hot water to completely open my pores. Rub this in like crazy though before dressing. I have never stained anything but others seem to have done so.

I find that reducing stress, increasing activity, drinking more water and improving what I eat all make my skin better as well.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    My top two tips--Mary Kay Acne Cream and changing your pillow case often!

I also have always been a fan of Clinique's skin care line, especially their bar soap for faces and their astringent (they call it something silly, like Cleansing lotion or something?)

Also, stop wearing powder and foundation! It might cover your acne up today, but will cause it to be so much worse in the future. Also, if you are a teen, have hope, you will grow out of the worst of it! :)
  • jallison12
    Options
    Concentrated tea tree oil. Just on the pimple. For me 24-48 hrs and it's gone. However, my wife won't use it as she says it does dry her skin.
    http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/skin-care/skin-care-best-sellers/tea-tree-oil.aspx
  • TeeNico1191
    TeeNico1191 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Woman's World Mag had an article with a natural cure for a few ailments to include pimples. I have a pic of the part for pimples as I have a friend who seek the same. It's SPEARMINT Tea - it says "drinking 2 cups daily can clear up your acne in 6 weeks. french researchers suggest spearmint tea binds to excess male hormones in the bloodstream, correcting a hormone imbalance linked to skin woe in women." Lemme know. I'm lucky, I never experienced acne. Hope this helps.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have dry skin and had a lot of acne before my doctor gave me some tips. Here's what I do:
    -I only wash my face if I really need to. If I'm not wearing makeup, I just let my face's natural oils do the work.
    -If I do have to wash my face, I use Dove mild soap and pat it gently with a washcloth
    -I put olive oil on my face before showers to create a barrier to the water
    -I use Cetaphil cream (not the lotion) at least twice a day
  • TeeNico1191
    TeeNico1191 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eliminating certain foods? My friend knows that he breaks out if he eats fatty food and/or soda. Another, knows that sweets break him out and another knows that stress breaks him out!!! Look into detoxification, but ensure it's done PROPERLY. Check out Ann Louise Gittleman's site. I use her advise as it's all geared towards health and weight loss is an added benefit!!!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Dermalogica
  • kritty518
    Options
    I had the worst break out last year after my daughter was born and finally went to see a dermatologist. He has me washing my face twice a day with dove soap, and using a prescription retinoid at night. I love how the dove soap works! My skin has never felt/looked better, and I don't have to use any sort of moisturizer because the dove doesn't dry out my skin. I can't say enough about the importance of just seeing a dermatologist! I'd been trying to fix my face myself with large amounts of benzoyl peroxide, but that just ended up wrecking my skin even more. Good luck--acne is the worst!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you have chronic ( long standing) acne you really need to see a dermatologist because most of the OTC (over the counter) stuff wont do very much.

I had very bad cystic acne as a teenager. Accutane cured me. Looked like a porcelein doll for years after wards.

After that, it was the products I put on my face or hormones that caused my breakouts. Most store brand products caused dry skin, lots of blackheads, and just unsatifactory skin. I tried most of the "cheap products" to improve my skin and help with breakouts at "that time of the month". Proactive did not help my skin at all. I have found two product lines that does not cause blackheads, does not cause new breakouts, and keeps my skin looking great: Korres and Ole Herickson. You can get both from Sephora. They are both natural product lines ( which is the only type of products I can use on my sensitive skin). products range from $21-$58

The hormonal breakouts did not improve with any product I put on my face. The dermatologist gave me a topical gel Acanya which made the breakouts go away faster but it was an oral medication that stopped them completely for the past 3 months now. The gel was $25 but will last 6-8 months if I used it every day ( i dont need it at all anymore). The oral meds were $10 and really prevented the breakouts.
  • RHHMom
    RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tried everything, even my dermatologist essentially gave up. Best results came with a combination of salisylic acid wash and benzoyl peroxide cream at night, but it was only moderately better. Retin-A was good, but not something I wanted to use long-term.

Then I quit eating sugar - skin dramatically better!! My daily limit appears to be 50-60g, and I make them naturally occurring (fruits, dairy).

Sometimes a dessert is worth it...usually not. ;)

Good luck!
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Thank you all!
    I hope some of these work well!
  • 65Fa5tback
    Options
    Definitely see a good experienced dermatologist, and not just one thats a bargain. Do some research online for your area.