Acne Problems.

Options

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have had acne since I was a teenager. I have finally found my magic cure after years of trial and error.
    AM cetaphil cleanser/sodium sulfacetamide lotion 10%
    PM cetaphil cleanser/tretinoin cream.025%

Cetaphil is a must for my because it soothes my skin and keeps it from drying out. Sodium sulfacetamide lotion is a liquidy suspension that is non sticky and dries quickly. Works like a charm on my chest and back as well. It does not stain fabric. It kills bacteria.

Trentinoin (retin A) is a exfoliant that sloughs off the dead skill cells etc in order to clear the pores. Comes in 2 strengths - the stronger one was too rough on my skin. You MUST use a good sunscreen with trentinoin, so if you are a tanner, it's not for you. Also it takes a good 4-6 weeks to get the full effect, so patience is a must, but the results are so worth it!!!

Both are prescription. I save money by doing generic. Sod. Sulf. is only about $7 and last 6-8 weeks. Trent. cost about $60 for a 45g tube but lasts 5-6months. Well worth it for me.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    my daughter takes cefadroxil (prescribed medication) . with insurance we only pay 10 but it works great. also, make sure you are using oil free make up.
    you could try cetaphil bar soap which you can pick up at a drug store. she went from acne, to no acne.
  • jillm85
    jillm85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    water and a facecloth
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle sure. Most everything contains the same active ingredients.
  • ffwife97
    Options
    I had extremely bad skin since I was in 7th grade. No matter what I tried it didn't seem to help. I tried ProActive, Murad, and numerous other products out there. Too many to count to be honest. I was so sick of always breaking out and always wearing makeup. I did see dermatologists but even that didn't stop my breakouts. Some days I hated leaving the house cuz it was so bad.

After a couple of weeks of joining MFP, my face has cleared up and I don't get any breakouts. I do still get a little pimple here or there but they are gone within a couple of days. All I use for products is Olay Face wash & moisturizer. This hasn't changed.

What changed? My diet. I cut out all soda, I drink at least 9 glasses of water a day and I also keep my carb intake to 40% or less of my daily intake. I truly believe carbs can affect your skin. See the link below for more info.

http://www.dailyglow.com/skin/are-carbs-bad-for-your-skin.html?xid=nl_TodaysHighlightFromDailyGlow_20120802

I am now so much happier and I barely wear any makeup. Even my husband comments on how great I look. :love:
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So I've had on and off issues with different kinds over the years... (small, big, cystic, etc) and I have done a little research on why acne happens, and if you try to treat each issue, you may find one that works.

One thing that I found that has worked for me-

Yeast overgrowth - this is a new one for me that has saved me! Often I would use my antibiotics and other things to try and clear up my acne, but after reading a few causes of acne I realized that yeast (which grows naturally all over your skin) will overgrow when you kill the bacteria on your face (with acne treatments). Killing off the bacteria changes the environment and the yeast has no competitors for space anymore! So it overgrows. THIS can cause acne too. So something I have added to my regimen is a mild anti fungal treatment. They are common for ringworm and athlete's foot, jock itch... I just got a common store brand in a cream form that seemed safe for my face (if you are not sure which, ask the pharmacist). This has helped A LOT. I have stopped suddenly breaking out with random huge pimples and the small area breakouts have stopped as well.

Here's my regimen before bed (I don't do the acne treatments with makeup):

Wash with warm water, mild soap, scrub with cloth
    Apply astringent to close pores and keep clogged ones to a minimum (important to do BEFORE applying any creams or lotions)
    Apply lotion
    Apply acne cream (whatever one i'm using at the moment)
    Apply antifungal

It sounds gross, but if you think about it, lots of focus in on bacteria, and that's not the only thing on your face!
  • ksarkarati
    ksarkarati Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Murad acne system is great! I have very sensitive skin and it has not irritated it
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been battling acne for 10 years or so. I am now 23 and believe my acne is primarily hormonal. I have experimented with all kinds of topical remedies containing everything from salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur compounds, ceramides... everything. Sometimes, like with BP, I got good results but I could tell that my skin's quality (moisture, tone, elasticity, etc.) was deteriorating.

I posted a topic about this awhile ago if you want to read what others had to say:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586170-diet-exercise-and-acne?hl=diet+exercise+and+acne&page=1#posts-8365331

Here are a few of my current thoughts and practices:

(1) I've been a lot more conscious of my hair products. I got rid of all products that contain any of the chemicals listed in the following link. I have long, unruly, frizzy hair so I really depended on products like oily serums, cremes, shampoos and conditioners and I don't think they were doing any favors to my skin. I finally came to the conclusion that I would rather have nice skin and save myself the health risks. I now use "clean" shampoos and conditioners (currently Kiss my Face, whole foods and Nature's Gate brand).
    http://wellandgoodnyc.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dirty_dozen.pdf

(2) Face cleaning and moisturizing routine: I no longer use any face products with ingredients I do not recognize. I use Dudu Osun black soap for days when my face feel particularly dirty. This soap also contains lemon juice and shea butter which is supposed to help with dark spots. Lemon juice is a natural, non-abrasive exfoliant. When my skin is dry or seemingly clean I use an oil cleansing method with jojoba oil. I use about 10 drops during cleansing and 2 drops mixed with aloe gel to moisturize. I'll mix the jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil if I feel a break-out coming on. Jojoba oil is similar to sebum and helps break down dirt in the pores. It does not cause breakouts and some think it can reduce oil production. Jojoba oil is actually a wax. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and a great alternative to benzoyl peroxide.

(3) Betonite clay masks. I used to use Queen Helene mint clay mask to help clean out my pores but I now realize that that are too many chemicals in it. I now make my own mask 1-2 times weekly using some betonite clay I get from Whole Foods or Amazon.com. I mix the clay with of the following ingredients:
    Anti-inflamatory/moisturizing:
    - Water
    - Turmeric
    - Honey
    - Aloe gel (natural)
    Anti-Bacterial/acne-fighter:
    - Apple cider vinegar
    - Aloe gel
    - Tea tree oil

(3) Water. Drink it. A lot of it. Supplement with tea if desired. I recently had a UTI and was drinking about 3-4 L a day and inadvertently noticed a huge improvement in my skin. Its difficult for me to continuously drink that much, but the experience made me a believer.

(4) Change pillow cases (I'm horrible about this).

(5) Diet: One of my biggest triggers is sugar. I also have PCOS which is often characterized with insulin resistance. High levels of insulin have been correlated with increases in acne. What this means for me is that I try to eat less sugar, especially sugars that are quickly metabolized and I try to eat more fiber and protein. I also try and eat more nutrient rich foods that often have anti-inflammatory properties like avacados, dark leafy greens, nuts, fish. I try and incorporate more spices too, primarily cinnamon which helps with insulin resistance and turmeric which is an anti-inflammatory.

(6) Supplements: This is probably the most variable thing in my routine because supplements are expensive, difficult to remember and can often omitted by simply improving your diet. I do take an omega-3 in the form of fish oil every day, but I vary the amount depending on how badly I am breaking out. I also take zinc occasionally and vitamin A but I stay regular with the omega-3s because they have more health benefits besides the skin.

(7) No picking. I struggle with this the most. In 99% of cases picking just makes things worse. I think there is something very psychological going on, at least with me, about just trying to squeeze and scratch away all of the imperfections and what results is just redness, hyper-pigmentation, infection, inflammation, scabbing and scaring. One advantage to my current routine is that my face seems to heal a lot better and redness if fading. But when I do get blemishes I have a really difficult time leaving them alone. One rule, that has helped a lot, is not picking at night when I have the most time to just stand in front of my mirror. I also try not to get too close to mirrors because then one thing just leads to another. I try to imagine what my face will look like after I go to town on it and this seems to help refrain from messing with it.

ANYWAYS, information overload, I know. I hope that at the very least, a few fragments of this are helpful. I'm not perfect, and my skin isn't perfect, but I have spent a lot of time researching and trying to make improvements in my own routine so if I can pass along bits of information that may help others, then great! Best of luck!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have been battling acne for 10 years or so. I am now 23 and believe my acne is primarily hormonal. I have experimented with all kinds of topical remedies containing everything from salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur compounds, ceramides... everything. Sometimes, like with BP, I got good results but I could tell that my skin's quality (moisture, tone, elasticity, etc.) was deteriorating.

I posted a topic about this awhile ago if you want to read what others had to say:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586170-diet-exercise-and-acne?hl=diet+exercise+and+acne&page=1#posts-8365331

Here are a few of my current thoughts and practices:

(1) I've been a lot more conscious of my hair products. I got rid of all products that contain any of the chemicals listed in the following link. I have long, unruly, frizzy hair so I really depended on products like oily serums, cremes, shampoos and conditioners and I don't think they were doing any favors to my skin. I finally came to the conclusion that I would rather have nice skin and save myself the health risks. I now use "clean" shampoos and conditioners (currently Kiss my Face, whole foods and Nature's Gate brand).
    http://wellandgoodnyc.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dirty_dozen.pdf

(2) Face cleaning and moisturizing routine: I no longer use any face products with ingredients I do not recognize. I use Dudu Osun black soap for days when my face feel particularly dirty. This soap also contains lemon juice and shea butter which is supposed to help with dark spots. Lemon juice is a natural, non-abrasive exfoliant. When my skin is dry or seemingly clean I use an oil cleansing method with jojoba oil. I use about 10 drops during cleansing and 2 drops mixed with aloe gel to moisturize. I'll mix the jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil if I feel a break-out coming on. Jojoba oil is similar to sebum and helps break down dirt in the pores. It does not cause breakouts and some think it can reduce oil production. Jojoba oil is actually a wax. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and a great alternative to benzoyl peroxide.

ANYWAYS, information overload, I know. I hope that at the very least, a few fragments of this are helpful. I'm not perfect, and my skin isn't perfect, but I have spent a lot of time researching and trying to make improvements in my own routine so if I can pass along bits of information that may help others, then great! Best of luck!

If you believe your acne is primarily hormonal topicals will not fix that, only help minimize the breakouts when they happen. You need oral meds.

Accutane cured me of my cystic acne. Fixed now for 15 years. But I do get hormonal breakouts every month. Topicals do nothing for that. My dermatologist actually prescribed me an oral med not typically used for acne but one of the benefits is it fights hormonal breakouts. It wont work for any other type of skin problem other than hormonal. For almost 3 months now, no more hormonal breakouts.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Simple brand face wash.
    nutrogena naturals.
    i thought i needed silic acid and all that jaz, but my face has been better without it.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Clarsonic Skin Brush really really helped me.... that and drinking only water and watching my sugar intake.
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have had acne since I was a teenager. I have finally found my magic cure after years of trial and error.
    AM cetaphil cleanser/sodium sulfacetamide lotion 10%
    PM cetaphil cleanser/tretinoin cream.025%

Cetaphil is a must for my because it soothes my skin and keeps it from drying out. Sodium sulfacetamide lotion is a liquidy suspension that is non sticky and dries quickly. Works like a charm on my chest and back as well. It does not stain fabric. It kills bacteria.

Trentinoin (retin A) is a exfoliant that sloughs off the dead skill cells etc in order to clear the pores. Comes in 2 strengths - the stronger one was too rough on my skin. You MUST use a good sunscreen with trentinoin, so if you are a tanner, it's not for you. Also it takes a good 4-6 weeks to get the full effect, so patience is a must, but the results are so worth it!!!

Both are prescription. I save money by doing generic. Sod. Sulf. is only about $7 and last 6-8 weeks. Trent. cost about $60 for a 45g tube but lasts 5-6months. Well worth it for me.

I agree 100% on the Cetaphil Cleanser! I also use the lotion with great results.
  • bamitskam
    Options
    black soap. use it twice a day and a skin moisturizer or baby lotion. also it helps to do a mint mask once a week if you have light skin or mud mask for dark skin. i went to cosmetology school and this really works. i had loyal clients who came in once a week for facials hope this helps!!!

I love the black soap! I also love the AMBI product line. Super cheap and usually available at Walgreens and Target.
  • lululucky1
    lululucky1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Go to a dermatologist...I am so happy now! I took an antibiotic for a little while. Now I use a prescription wash and topical lotion. That is the only thing that helped. Plus I eat pretty much natural food. I suffered for so long, I wish I would have gone sooner.

And proactive made everything worse for me.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only thing that ever worked for me to cure acne was Accutane. Proactive is a waste of money - it has the same things in it as over the counter acne cream, they just have a great marketing campaign so they drive the price up (sorry I hate that proactive preys on people with acne because they have celebrity endorsments when they have the same ingredients as everyone else) It did nothing for me. Make anything with benzoyl peroxide in it your best friend. Drinking water helps. Neutrogena "On the spot Acne treatment" was great, I actually noticed a difference when I used it.
  • sarabeartx
    sarabeartx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have seriously struggled with my skin since I was a teenager, even resorting to Accutane...twice! Now I am FINALLY on the other side of my problem. I use Trader Joes Nourish cleanser AM and PM, Acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide Treatment AM and PM also. Actually this treatment is a great primer underneath makeup so that's a plus! Follow that up with Cerave Moisturizer. I always struggled with the nasty dry, peeling and purging stage that happens when you start any new regimen but just like with exercise & getting healthy, you just have to fight through those initial side effects until your skin is cleaned out and adjusts to the new products.

Also, I finally realized having tried SO much.. That my particular problem responds best to Benzoyl Peroxide treatments than Salicylic Acid so perhaps try switching it up if you're not seeing results with one or the other. And just bc the percentage is higher (say 10% over 2.5%) doesn't necessarily mean its better. Be gentle and give it time! I certainly understand the frustration with your face... good luck!!
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gave up dairy and my skin cleared up. I cheat with dairy, my skin turns greasy, my exzema flares up and my sinuses get stuffed. Skin issues can be a sign of a food allergy too. 10 days without is enough to confirm it.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My face has gotten way better since eliminating wheat and bad oils/fats from my diet and limiting sugar, while at the same time increasing good fats like coconut, avocado, animal fats, and butter. I love the site butterbeliever.com if you have any confusion as to which fats are good/bad, and why, and some common misunderstandings concerning saturated and unsaturated fats.

For my face regimen, I LOVE using baking soda with a little water to make a paste, then I spread it onto my rubber face scrubber and gently massage my face all over, it exfoliates like NONE OTHER and it's almost free and easily obtainable! Then I wash with an organic foaming face wash meant for oily skin, then wash, and use pure coconut oil all over my face and massage it until it's absorbed. Removing the 'dirty' oils on my face and replacing it with a good nourishing oil has helped my acne SO much! I was afraid to use oil for years because I was convinced it would make my skin greasy and pimply, but it's done the exact opposite!

I still get bad hormonal acne from time to time, but usually that means I'm doing something wrong with my diet, or I've gotten too lazy and have been slacking in the face care department. :)

Maybe try to limit the number of commercial brand products if you can, I know how convincing the brands seem and they always help at first but they have never helped me in the long run, and the additives and chemicals are not good for your skin.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I had acne real bad as a teenager and used everything in God's green earth. The best thing for me though was just before going to bed I'd have to take a cotton ball and dab Listerine on each pimple. This would help to dry them overnight.
  • hellas91
    Options
    I have actual acne, not just spots on my face. Proper, disgusting acne. I got a skin problem on my face 3 years ago, my skin got really dry, flakey and crispy. Then t started to swell up and it "weeped". I went to my doctor who then referred me to a dermatologist and he prescribed me some 1% hydrocortisone ointment. I used it all over my dry, swollen bis on my face and the next morning I woke up with no more dry patches or redness. I still had my acne though, I hadn't put any of the ointment onto my acne. So I decided to try it, I put the ointment all over my whole face and 3 days later my skin was amazing and I kept using the ointment over and over and then when my prescriptions stopped I went to the pharmacy and started buying it myself. It only costs just under £4.00. I always got the ointment and not the cream but they have discontinued ointment at my local pharmacy so I've started getting the cream one now. I've been recommended not to use it on my face but it;s been almost 4 years now and nothing bad has happened... It probably will in the long run but I am dependent on this I'd have to admit.
    But if you are looking for something that really does work then there you go I have answered your question, it's up to you if you want to take the risk on using it on your face.