Why didn't anyone tell me?

Options

Replies

• Leahsz
    Options
    Tahini is high in fat but it's full of B vitamins, calcium and it's good fats!
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Aww, this put a smile on my face :happy:
  • AOJS
    AOJS Posts: 2
    Options
    Yum hummus!
  • AOJS
    AOJS Posts: 2
    Options
    The recipe I usually use is:

1 can of chickpeas (that are already soaked but you could get them dry and soak them yourself which is cheaper)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Lemon juice to taste
    Paprika 1-2 tsp
    1-2 cloves garlic chopped
    1-2 tsp sesame seeds (Tahini is just ground up sesame seeds (I think?) so I just use seeds as it is cheaper where I live (New Zealand)).

Drain the chickpeas (but set aside the liquid from the can) and put the peas in a kitchen whiz (or use a stick blender), add the oil, lemon juice (I use 2-3Tablespoons) garlic and sesame seeds. I then turn the whiz on and pour back some of the liquid from the can of chick peas into the whiz as it is blending to smooth the hummus (usually 1/8-1/4 of a cup, but I like hummus thick!!). Then add paprika for flavour, or you can just leave it plain.

Sometimes I chop up sundried tomatoes and add them (I find you have to chop them into chunks first otherwise they don't seem to whiz!). If I use sundried tomatoes I use some of the oil from the jar rather than olive oil just because it adds to the flavour.

Once finished keep it in the fridge. Hummus has a tendency to dry out, so you can either put a thin film of olive oil over the top of the hummus, but for a healthier option I just get some cling film and push it down so it is touching the hummus and then it can't dry out.

To be honest I never measure the ingredients (although now that I am trying to lose weight I will!). So you can just use that as a rough guide and maybe reduce the olive oil and the sesame seeds to taste and to your own health needs. You can't really go wrong! Btw, it tastes far better chilled so don't be discouraged if it doesn't taste amazing when you take it from the whiz and it is a little warm from all the action!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I live off hummous. It's a problem.
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic! One of my favs, but I make mine at home myself.
    The only thing to be careful of is watch out for ones that are made with tahini. Tahini is delicious and makes hummus even more incredible, but it is SO high in fat and I mean, BAD.
    I may just have to make some tomorrow and post my recipe for you all :)

Yes Please! :D
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    The only thing to be careful of is watch out for ones that are made with tahini. Tahini is delicious and makes hummus even more incredible, but it is SO high in fat and I mean, BAD.

Yes Please! :D

You can't miss out the tahini - without the tahini it's not humous!
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chick peas are such a healthy, delicious food! I have a recipe for chick pea pasta sauce, with lots of garlic -yum! A friend roasts them in the oven with seasonings, then crushes them to a degree (not ground), and tops her salads with it - nice protein addition!

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone had the baked lentil crisps? I found them in the organic snacks section of my grocery store, enjoyed them immensely, and haven't found any since. They are a nice chips substitute, but they are so full of protein, and looowwww fat! I don't remember the brand name, but the name of the snack was definitely Baked Lentil Crisps.
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    Yes please!!!!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I love roasted red pepper hummus!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The hummus Sabra makes with garlic is awesome. You can find it in most grocery stores.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This is my all time favorite snack!!!! baby carrots and roasted red pepper hummus!!!! YUMMUS!!!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yep, been eating carrots and hummus as an afternoon snack lately. Also been dipping my carrots in some cheese spread. NOM!
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    This is one of my fave snacks! I also like carrots and peanut butter... sounds weird but they actually go well together.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Um, hummus goes great with other veggies too!! Plus a ton of other, less healthy things. :D
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Another awesome twist is to get a jar of red peppers (or, for the overachievers, roast your own) and blend it up with the hummus - red pepper and chilli or paprika hummus is to die for.

Tahini is definitely high fat but it's sesame seed paste and good for you! In moderation of course (:

I always end up with leftover tahini, and was super excited to find these salad dressing recipes that use it - basically an alternative to mayonnaise.

Tahini Lemon Dressing
    1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste

Tahini Miso Dressing
    1/4 cup tahini
    1 tablespoon red miso
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup or more warm water
    freshly cracked black pepper
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Chick peas are such a healthy, delicious food! I have a recipe for chick pea pasta sauce, with lots of garlic -yum! A friend roasts them in the oven with seasonings, then crushes them to a degree (not ground), and tops her salads with it - nice protein addition!

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone had the baked lentil crisps? I found them in the organic snacks section of my grocery store, enjoyed them immensely, and haven't found any since. They are a nice chips substitute, but they are so full of protein, and looowwww fat! I don't remember the brand name, but the name of the snack was definitely Baked Lentil Crisps.

Love hummus and will try to make some of my own. Yes, I have tried lentil chips and loved them! I believe I got them at Trader Joe's. My nearest one is off my beaten path so I don't get there much. My local grocery store as a pretty good organic/natural section, but they don't carry them. Good luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ok so why did you all keep it a secret? Carrots & Houmus.... really? I HATE Houmus with a passion, carrots are ok but boring....... together...... O M FREAKING G

Are you kidding me? 4 carrots & 20g of Houmus & I'm only eating 122 cals & my mouth is having a party.

Damnit....next time there is a party like this..... TELL ME.

I believe you have just experienced your first Foodgasm... Im so very proud of you!!!!!! 8-D

I make homemade hummus at home (I cant stand the hummus at the stores, UGH)... I make different flavor combinations including a Pasilla/Roasted Red Pepper with roasted gahhhlic... THAT is a party favorite! I make my own pita chips and chop up some sticks of carrots, celery, cucumber and zucchini...

My daughter likes my homemade hummus smeared on a toasted garlic-onion bagel too!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try this...
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What on earth is Hummus LOL

When you find out, please let me know...sounds like something you "catch" like a cold or something...lol