Real women...

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I just don’t care for any of these phrases.

Not every woman wants or needs to be athletic. *shrugs* Although this is the least offensive of the phrases, probably since it doesn’t really flat out insult anyone. I think everyone, male and female, should try to be more physically active in their life, but I have friends (both genders) who choose not to be and who are in decent health. I suppose kudos to the commercial for trying to encourage active lifestyles.

I will say that I absolutely despise the saying “real women have curves” though.

Most of the time it’s being said by large women who are stuffing their faces full of fast food crap as they point to pictures of Bettie Page or Marilyn Monroe saying “Look! she wasn’t skinny! Real women have curves! Blah blah blah! I don’t have to eat better or exercise because I’m a real woman because I have huge boobs. Skinny women are ugly!”

I’ve actually seen/heard someone who is about 250 lbs say the phrase once while eating a big mac at her desk and referring to Marilyn Monroe.

This kind of mentality contributes to the obesity problem in this country. Do some people prefer women with a little more meat on their bones? Sure. Bettie was gorgeous. She was also in shape and healthy looking. She was not obese. There are plenty of slender to average sized women who have curves, thanks. Also, plenty of people like women who are thin.

Also, most people don’t care one way or the other as long as you’re a good person.

And finally, the main reason this phrase offends me: I know a woman who had to have a double mastectomy due to breast cancer. She was thin to begin with and now she doesn’t have breasts. Technically, she has no “curves”. You going to tell her she’s less of a woman than someone with double Ds?? I don’t think so.

I feel like once people have a generic catch phrase like “real women have curves”, they feel like it’s a get out of jail free card to excuse any unhealthy lifestyle they choose.

"real women have curves" is probably one of the most offensive quotes I have ever heard. I also am not a fan of anyone being "pigeon-holed" into any one category, but I do feel like Secret's commercial is at least only saying we all sweat and not that one type of woman is better than another. Some of us don't even have to be active to sweat, we can literally just walk outside and break out into a sweat - thank you Houston weather...
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Not every woman wants or needs to be athletic. *shrugs* Although this is the least offensive of the phrases, probably since it doesn’t really flat out insult anyone. I think everyone, male and female, should try to be more physically active in their life, but I have friends (both genders) who choose not to be and who are in decent health. I suppose kudos to the commercial for trying to encourage active lifestyles.

I will say that I absolutely despise the saying “real women have curves” though.

Most of the time it’s being said by large women who are stuffing their faces full of fast food crap as they point to pictures of Bettie Page or Marilyn Monroe saying “Look! she wasn’t skinny! Real women have curves! Blah blah blah! I don’t have to eat better or exercise because I’m a real woman because I have huge boobs. Skinny women are ugly!”

I’ve actually seen/heard someone who is about 250 lbs say the phrase once while eating a big mac at her desk and referring to Marilyn Monroe.

This kind of mentality contributes to the obesity problem in this country. Do some people prefer women with a little more meat on their bones? Sure. Bettie was gorgeous. She was also in shape and healthy looking. She was not obese. There are plenty of slender to average sized women who have curves, thanks. Also, plenty of people like women who are thin.

Also, most people don’t care one way or the other as long as you’re a good person.

And finally, the main reason this phrase offends me: I know a woman who had to have a double mastectomy due to breast cancer. She was thin to begin with and now she doesn’t have breasts. Technically, she has no “curves”. You going to tell her she’s less of a woman than someone with double Ds?? I don’t think so.

I feel like once people have a generic catch phrase like “real women have curves”, they feel like it’s a get out of jail free card to excuse any unhealthy lifestyle they choose.

"real women have curves" is probably one of the most offensive quotes I have ever heard. I also am not a fan of anyone being "pigeon-holed" into any one category, but I do feel like Secret's commercial is at least only saying we all sweat and not that one type of woman is better than another. Some of us don't even have to be active to sweat, we can literally just walk outside and break out into a sweat - thank you Houston weather...

This is true. I must be extra real from sweat when I’m at work because the lady 2 cubicles over from me cranks the heat in the office up to like 85 every day. I’m pretty sure she’s not a real woman because she clearly has no blood and might be a vampire/lizard person.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

I LOVE this response.

Curves, sweat, appearance, job title, motherhood or lack thereof and so on don't define what makes a woman "real". What makes a person (man, woman, or otherwise) "real" in my opinion is being genuinely themself - whatever that may be!
    Options

This is true. I must be extra real from sweat when I’m at work because the lady 2 cubicles over from me cranks the heat in the office up to like 85 every day. I’m pretty sure she’s not a real woman because she clearly has no blood and might be a vampire/lizard person.

hahahahaha, I wish someone would turn the air up a little in my office. It's freezing in here everyday.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    All women are real.
    ...........hmmmmm......after watching rupaul's drag race....maybe not.....\m/

Transphobia much?
    blatant labeling and overuse of a crappy much expression much? \m/
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I just like that the OP used the word "pit" while discussing deoderant. :laugh:
    Options
    I just like that the OP used the word "pit" while discussing deoderant. :laugh:

hahahaha, totally not even on purpose. Good catch!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    All women are real.
    ...........hmmmmm......after watching rupaul's drag race....maybe not.....\m/

Transphobia much?
    blatant labeling and overuse of a crappy much expression much? \m/

Um, a spade is a spade.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I sweat. A lot.
    I am not a man.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I love to make my wife sweat...
    Options
    Meh, I buy products because they're good products...not because they are good at marketing.

Like someone mentioned earlier the "real women" marketing ploy is an easy sell because its a fad right now.

Its still the same product that used to be marketed by tall and skinny models who don't sweat ;)

I just stated I liked the "real women" saying being used that way as opposed to bashing. I wasn't trying to push any products.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    Some people will create drama from anything!

As for the real women sweat, I say post some pictures to prove it! :tongue:
    Options

that they will. so sad...
  • Chapter3point6
    Options

And the second part of my post??? :wink:
    Options

<~~~ here, I changed my profile picture just for the 2nd part of your post. :tongue:
  • Chapter3point6
    Options

<~~~ here, I changed my profile picture just for the 2nd part of your post. :tongue:

SWEET SWEAT!!!! :love:
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All women are real women...I hate the "real women" mantras.
  • Nibarlan
    Options
    Sweat is delicious.

Exactly! Although you use it in place of salt ONE time and BAM health code violation....ugh...
    Options
    All women are real women...I hate the "real women" mantras.

oh gracious.... as I've said in the OP and in response all in this post, I don't like the ones where they pit women against each other, especially due to their body type, however, we all sweat, just like we all burp, fart and poop.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I love to sweat! I just don't like the pit stains. :grumble:

LOL Same here! Which is why 9 times out of 10, I wear a tank top