Free Weights Vs Machines? Holy crap!

Options
I've been strength training fairly heavy for one year and two months. But the first year was using machines at the gym. I belonged to Planet Fitness, and the locations closest to me didn't have free weights, so I did machines. And I was really happy with the results, because it was a HUGE improvement over doing nothing but cardio, body weight and 5# dumbbell stuff, which was a HUGE improvement over not exercising at all. :wink:

But I hated going TO the gym. It took almost a half hour just to get there, another half hour back, so I didn't want to spend more time driving to and from than I spent working out, so ... boom, there's two hours out of my day. It just felt like a waste of time and gas. I decided to spend about 5 months worth of membership fees on a cheap barbell and bench set from Sears.

I've been lifting at home little over 2 months now. I'm eating around 2000 calories a day, running 3x a week and lifting 3x a week, usually a half hour to 45 minutes, sometimes an hour. I'm lifting "lighter" than I was using the machines, because the machines did half the work for me, and I don't have a squat rack or spotter and would rather err on the side of caution than risk hurting myself.

But I'm getting a MUCH more thorough workout and the results speak for themselves.

fw-IMG_4848_zps3654e1fb.jpg

fw-IMG_4853_zps5d14a734.jpg

fw-IMG_4855_zps023ddd23.jpg

fw-IMG_4849_zps26880a98.jpg

Also a good example for anyone concerned about getting bulky or losing curves from lifting. :happy: And I know it's not a hugely dramatic change, but I'm still gobsmacked because the scale has barely moved and I don't see changes in the mirror.

I'm not following a particular routine. Just the basics like bench press, overhead press, rows, squats, deadlifts, standing calf raises, leg curls and extensions, usually split into an upper body day and lower body day, and if I'm feeling really spunky and not going to run the next day, I might do both.

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have always been of the opinion that every lady on this site needs to listen to you. You are living proof of how great weight training is for a body.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...you've lost inches EVERYWHERE! Perfect proof that women don't get bulky!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! Keep up the hard work!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Even though I've only just started ST - I can most certainly appreciate going off the machines - you use so much more muscle control to control the weights, rather than having the machines work it for you.

♥ your progress stories OP - maybe one day I'll have one of my own!
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I like how you have heels on in the second set of pics! =D
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, girl!

It's just too bad more people don't jump on the free weights bandwagon. It IS sooooo much more effective than using machines.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    And THIS is why I added you as friend.

I love lifting heavy and I'm going to continue to push myself. You're an inspiration. =)
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Can definitely tell a difference in your shape!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Well obviously it is not working since you do not look like a men yet :tongue:
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    First thing I've gotta say is .. AWESOME job. You look tight and fit and ready to rock it.

Second thing...is it bad that when I saw the first "after" picture...I could hear you saying "BAM" the moment you flexed?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! What do you mean it's not a big difference?!?! I can see a difference in your body!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE, bookmark this post, and put it in every other post asking about weight lifting and free weights.

Unless you have a medical reason to not use free weights, you should ALWAYS use free weights over machines.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound creepy or anything, but you have a very nice bum!
    Well, you have a nice everything, actually! It's very motivating, especially for a person like me that sucks at weights training.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You can really see the difference! I almost bought a bench set after you got yours, but it's not in my budget, so I'm sticking with dumbbells and a stability ball for now. You are such a huge inspiration, Lorina! I'm going to have to put this link on my profile with the other one. :flowerforyou:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    So are you the one on the right and the one on the left is your sister, or the other way around?
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i love being the only "girl" in the free weight section of my YMCA's fitness center....i do my own thing but i do think i get the "admiration" of the men doing their workouts around me....Just because i'm there....i love free weights and only use the lat pulldown machine.....i am going to push harder and work towards a rocking body just like yours lorina as soon as i'm recovered from my tummy tuck surgery....
    denise
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! AMAZING!! You really are an inspiration!!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You can really see the difference! I almost bought a bench set after you got yours, but it's not in my budget, so I'm sticking with dumbbells and a stability ball for now. You are such a huge inspiration, Lorina! I'm going to have to put this link on my profile with the other one. :flowerforyou:

CallMeCupcake,

A bench is just an accessory for the most part unless you are trying to bulk up, in my opinion. Barbells (Dumbbells) and a kettle ball is really all the free wieght you need to work the major muscle groups.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have always been of the opinion that every lady on this site needs to listen to you. You are living proof of how great weight training is for a body.

^Exactly! I love seeing your pics and story! Kudos to you on your hard work :happy: