Free Weights Vs Machines? Holy crap!

Options

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Whoa, that is a drammatic change actually. You look fantastic.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I cant believe you could actually look any better, but hot damn! you do! wtg! im using free weights!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Remarkable!
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Freaking INCREDIBLE!

You are GORGEOUS.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Can I ask how tall you are? (I.e., is 2000 your maintenance, or does it represent a deficit?)
    Weight is a bigger predictor of one's TDEE than height. One of the biggest mysteries in thermogenesis is, if you compare two persons who have the same build, the taller individual will actually have a lower TDEE than the shorter person. Pretty much every study on mass specific energy expenditure vs height has confirmed this.

And LorinaLynn, you look awesomely strong :wink: Free weights rock.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Not a dramatic difference? After only two months I would say that IS a dramatic difference! You look great.

(And I always love looking at your posts. I revisit them from time to time for motivation. I'm finally going to start lifting now I've found a gym I can afford.)
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Wow huge difference considering only a three pound loss, but you definitely lost fat and gained muscle. You look hot.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm a 54 year old female who used to do strength training on machines in my twenties and thirties. I've been wanting to do weights and didn't want to join a gym. I'm thrilled to know I can get a basic set and get a good workout.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Can I ask how tall you are? (I.e., is 2000 your maintenance, or does it represent a deficit?)
    Weight is a bigger predictor of one's TDEE than height. One of the biggest mysteries in thermogenesis is, if you compare two persons who have the same build, the taller individual will actually have a lower TDEE than the shorter person. Pretty much every study on mass specific energy expenditure vs height has confirmed this.

And LorinaLynn, you look awesomely strong :wink: Free weights rock.

Is that so? Neat! (Get it? :tongue: ) That's interesting, I had no idea - thanks!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    love this post and i can't wait to start doing weights with my hubby in a few weeks. i think it will help change me and ill just do running along for my cardio. you're such an inspiration!!

((hugs))
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    WOW<you look AMAZING! YOu can sure see a difference in such a short amount of time.WAy to go,you are a true INSPIRATION!!:)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You look great in both pictures, but you can really notice the drop in body fat in the second one. Great job, you rock!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Great job. Now to save up for a power cage or squat rack so you can do those heavy squats.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I can certainly tell a difference! Way to rock it!! :flowerforyou:
  • keeleen
    Options
    Amazing results!!! You're such an inspiration!
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    you look awesome! i just started lifting-ur a good inspiration!
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    From your pics you can see results. Machines tend to isolate more. With free weights you use more of your body.( to stabize the weight or just picking it up before the lift) Free weights are definitely the way to go along with body weight movements(pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, burpees,handstand push-ups, etc.) Kettlebells and med. balls are good also. I started Crossfit a week after MyFitnessPal and it has boosted my inches lost more than weight. I have seen a lot of negative comments about Crossfit, but in the short time I have been doing it (at home), I love it. I just count calories though I do not Paleo or Zone diet. I am sure my weight would drop faster with a lower carb diet. Even counting calories I try to keep my carbs around 100g/day(considered low carb if you are working out). Isn't how our clothes fit and hoe we feel about how our bodies look more important than actual weight loss?Great results!!!
  • Snoopy7878
    Snoopy7878 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Amazing results. I have done a little lifting with free weights but I think I need to do more after seeing your results.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress! I'm so glad I "found you" on MFP. We have a lot of the same philosophies so you are a great inspiration for me.

I just bought some adjustable dumbbells (no room in my tiny condo for a bench/bar) and am going to start lifting heavy pretty soon. You're such a motivation! Thanks for sharing your story and successes with us!

(Totally off-topic: How do you carry grapes with you when you run without squishing them? If they're in a baggie, how do you attach that to yourself?)