Hey tattoo people, a question for you...

Options

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I got mine at the Pike in Long Beach in 1975. Me and 5 others graduate nurses got them to remember each other by. It hurt like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I have 12 hours of ink time on my body and it is almost like an aggrivation. It starts to get tender if you are having big work like myself, however it is just enough where you want to ask them to stop but not enough to want to stop.

I get a .. "good feelin"... from pain ;)

My zombies::
    1sjorq.jpg
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I started working on a sleeve last year. It hurt for the first few minutes, but you get used to the pain. I have been tattooed 8 other times before I started the sleeve. There were some parts that hurt. For me it was the top of my shoulder and then right on the bicep. I about fell asleep during my underarm. Everyone was telling me how painful it was going to be. My arm was sore afterwards. My first session took 2-3 hours for the outline/shading. My second was right around 6 for color. After having my color done, I could hardly lift my arm for a few days.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    tattoo between shoulder blades - i found it felt good (i know, wtf right?)
    tattoo on my bicep- that hurt a bit more...made a few scrunchy faces.

its not that bad :flowerforyou:

edit to add: ENJOY! post pics :)
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    OK that shouldn't be much of an issue.. You have seen the one on my back..

Essentially it will hurt the most if it's closer to your spine / nerve clusters.

The most annoying part for me was when I would turn in my sleep. I kept on waking up.

Be brutally honest, how much pain can I expect to be in and how long does the pain usually last for?
    Pain won't last long.. Just the durration of getting the tat.. After that it will be mildly irritating. Kinda like an itch..

What would you compare the pain to?
    It's kinda like being scratched.

How much should I eat before going in?
    Whatver you want.. You do want to eat enough so you will be relaxed.. It goes by way easier that way.. Also you may want a hat for your hair.

I’ve heard that it’s important to have a good meal beforehand.
    Who the hell told you that?

A few additioanl things to keep in mind...

1) New needles, new ink or no deal.
    2) Make sure you use the faciities before they begin.
    3) Bring a picutre (if ya got one) and be very specific on how you want it to look.
    4) Check out other ink from the artist. Not the stuff on the wall but actual tats on people
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    The pain is the best part and what causes the addiction ;)

Collar bone, armpit, nipple probably hurt. You should be fine.

And much emphasis on what this guy just said

1) New needles, new ink or no deal.
    2) Make sure you use the faciities before they begin.
    3) Bring a picutre (if ya got one) and be very specific on how you want it to look.
    4) Check out other ink from the artist. Not the stuff on the wall but actual tats on people
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly big colored tattoo on my shoulder blade, the pain is tolerable and after a while the area gets numbed out so you should be alright if your tolerance for pain is high... go for it!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My first tattoo was a small one on my right shoulderblade and it hurt the first minute or two and after that I didn't feel a thing. That could be because I passed out cold, but they finished the tattoo with me passed out.

I got another much larger one on my thigh that stung a little but otherwise didn't bother me. If they tattoo for any length of time the whole area tends to go numb anyway.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Fluffy kittens and moonbeams are how tattoos feel
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    No matter what, you're going to feel it. It might not feel *bad*, but you'll feel it. The spot you're getting it should be cake if you're great with pain. Me? I'm allergic to any pain killer stronger than like Advil so I've built up a pretty good pain tolerance. I've been okay with tattoos everywhere, even on top of the foot. The only part that sort of killed was my hip bone/rib cage area with my one large tattoo.

The one thing to expect to feel weird is the after care. I haven't read comments so I'm not sure if anyone has said anything. Expect a little "fun" with your shirts. The tattoo might stick to them, or you might hesitate in removing them. As the area heals the top layers of skin die, leaving a nice pretty tattoo underneath. But that dry skin doesn't have the move/bend/flex that regular skin does. So it will catch as you try to move. It isn't painful, it just feels funny.

Expect a few weeks of skin healing/peeling, but then you should be all set!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    They don't hurt as much as a brazillian. :D

True statement! I'd rather get tattooed than get a brazillian any day!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A mild sunburn, no pain after 2/3 days.
  • dodihere
    Options
    My longest was a 5 hour session and my entire back tattooed. Enjoy the pain, its part of the experience. And addicting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    During varies from feeling like someone scratching you with a fingernail, and maybe a kitten scratching you with little sharp kitten nails. Nothing horrible.

After feels like a sunburn.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have one in between my shoulder blades, half sleeve, and one on my foot. The foot probably hurt the worst. People who say tattoos don't hurt are lying. It hurts....but it is supposed to...It's nothing you can't handle. You will be fine.

foot sucks!!! I have two foot tattoos and one took well over 3 hours =(

I know...I need to get mine touched up, but I don't really want to. LOL
  • alieburks
    Options
    I have almost a half sleeve on my left arm sat through the whole thing in one session 5 hrs it took and towards the end it got annouying and raw but really it kinda feels like a cat scratch that you have to deal with until it's done. In my eyes at least. I don't think it's very bad at all i want more but, just talk to the artist usually they talk to you anyways so that helps and if your fresh skin they are usually wont be heavy handed on you if they can help it.
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For me (and in order of getting them):

Inner ankle- pain was 4/10
    Chest- 3/10
    Shoulderblade- 3/10
    Finger- 9/10

It just depends on your pain tolerance and whatnot, really!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I got mine on my lower back & I have a fairly high pain tolerance (birthed both kids w/o a drop of anything & finished my workout before going to ER when I broke my wrist.) but I will be honest it hurt like hell! I hung onto the back of a chair with a white knuckled death grip the entire 45 minutes. Can't say I'm adicted either; I'm good with what I have! Good luck!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi! This shouldn't be too terrible. I just recently spent 6 hours (over two sittings) getting a big one down my back (over my rib cage and over my hip.) I can assure you that will NOT be your experience! :)

The pain is like... a cat scratch or a paper cut that really burns. Over and over and over again. However, as SOON as the needle leaves your skin, the pain is gone.

AFTER the tattoo is complete, at first you won't feel much. Day two it feels like a sunburn. That sensation will last for a few days up to a week. THEN the itching starts as your skin molts.

Take really good care of it... be sure to follow your artist's instructions to the letter to avoid infection. Good luck and have fun! It's not nearly as bad as you'd think it would be! And you picked a good spot. Not too bumpy or bad. ;)
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Mine on my delt didnt hurt at all, but it definitely depends on where you get them. any area that crosses over bones is gonna be painfull , like the chest bone area, feet, ankles , hands, etc. The shoulder prolly wont hurt that much as the skin is very thick and unless its right on the spine there arent any exposed boney area's. You should be fine. The only painful thing is gonna be trying to pick out which tattoo your gonna get next- as has been said over and over in this thread, there are very addictive. Have fun and good luck.