How did you meet your significant other?

Options

Replies

• Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on christiancafe.com 9 yrs ago :love:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    His ex-wife (his wife at the time) introduced us LOL. I had just moved in and was trying to set up my waterbed she came over and introduced herself and said that when her husband got home from work she would ask him to come over and help me set up my waterbed. She was cheating on him and left him for another guy, moved out while he was at work and took the 2 kids. We started hanging out together because we lived in the same apts and were both going through a hard time. We both had 2 kids that were about the same age. That was 26 yrs ago and we are still together, he is my bestfriend
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    a 10 yr old set us up, lol!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Met my husband through is ex-girlfriend - no kidding! She was dating of friend of now-hubby's, and they forced him to ask me on a date. I said no, cuz he'd been kind of a jerk to her when they were dating. She promised he was "better now." I finally acceded and had a great time. We were married a year later...that was 20 years ago!
  • AmyfromBama
    AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I met my significant other thru my sister's husband ...He took me to his house to meet him... We all sat around his place and talked and had a few drinks lol .. Crazy i know but we hooked up like a few days later.. BUTTT I kinda sorta moved in with him the minute i met him lolol ... NOOOOOOOOO we didnt do nothing until like a week or so later.. I was having problems with my step dad back at home and didnt have no where else to go! :/ We've been together for almost 12 yrs now, and has got 2 beautiful girls name kenslie and Katie! We have broke up 1 time for like 6 months and got back together!!! I <3 him so much, and yes he tends to get on my nerves at times but i still love him lol .. We have been thru so much together and I plan to stay with him for the rest of my life!!! He has done ALOT for me!!!! :)
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I met my match on OKCupid as well.

I've been on a couple of different dating websites but I always refused to take them too seriously. Too many guys wanting only one thing. My "you should contact me" section on this particular profile said something about how pirates should definitely contact me.

The first line of his first message to me said "I'm not a pirate, but I just finished writing a game about pirates." I was instantly hooked!

Our 4 year anniversary is next weekend. :smile:
  • gissalm
    Options
    I met my honey at work. We started as friends, he even convinced me to go out with one of the supervisors there and I did, he was dating another girl.
    I broke up with the other guy it didn’t work and the girl he was seeing moved out of town. So we started to go out but just as friends one day he told me he had a crush on me since I started working there and that it kill him to see me with the other guy hahahaha… So we tried and started dating, we move in together a year later. We now have a 6 year old boy :wink:
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Finish line of a half marathon. 2005 Monson Memorial Classic
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Specifically, on yahoo personals (and I'm not even sure if that is around anymore, I think match and eharmony have a stronghold on the market ). I was actually dating someone when he emailed me, and I didn't respond for close to a month, until I realized the guy I was with was a total and utter douche so I emailed him back- we had one online chat, one or two phone calls, met up for a date that Friday, and have been together ever since. If I can give one piece of advice about online dating is don't drag it out and do months of online chatting- establish contact and if the attraction is there, meet for a drink of coffee. I think the reason online dating kind of has a bad rap is people build these false relationships based around excessive chats and perfect-lighting photos and feel that they've built up a 'perfect' version of themselves that will never hold up to the real deal. If you don't give yourself time to do that, then it's just like any other date.
    BEST ADVICE FOR ONLINE DATING.... SERIOUSLY. MEET AND GET IT OVER WITH.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    One of my best friends was attending the same college as him, and went to chess club with him. He introduced us, I started going to chess club with him (even though I didn't attend that college), and it was nerdy makeout time in no time.
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I met him while we were working at Cedar Point together . I got sent to clean the roller coaster Iron Dragon , this was during clean up week before the park open for the season. Anyways i got sent to clean because the girl in charge hated me and wanted me to leave her area ..Well i get to the ride and start talking this guy whom dident talk to me ..im a jabber jaw , but we talked for a few and later that night came to the bar hopeing i was there , and if your a CedPo employee the bar was pretty much it so yeah i was there ...:)
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I babysat him when he was a drunken mess! :-P
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Facebook... we talked a a few times then i stopped getting messages from him and started dating another guy and he and I dated for a year and a half... after we broke up i was going through old things on Facebook and saw a message from my "hubs" that I had never gotten and so i responded 2 years later lol and we started talking and then met and pretty much fell in love instantly... we dated 3 months before started looking at rings and were together 9 months when he proposed... we just celebrated our 2 years of being together this month and have been married for 3 months on the 23rd... he's my best friend :D God definitely works in mysterious ways... :)
  • ahaynes
    ahaynes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I met my wife our freshman year of college. We both were freshmen and she was gorgeous (still is). I knew from the time I met her I was going to marry her. I even told my college roommate at that time I was...lol
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I met mine through a friend-our first date (I fixed him a lovely steak dinner-we drank whiskey:drinker: -not my best idea) and went for a drive in the car-too much whiskey and I ended up throwing up all over in the car (mine), he took me home, poured me into my bed, cleaned the whole inside of my car-stayed with me until I felt better. Oh yea he was a keeper for me-26 years later and 5 kids.:heart:
  • Jessvaliquette
    Jessvaliquette Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We met on the worst possible dating site but he is the best, glad I was on that site.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I can give one piece of advice about online dating is don't drag it out and do months of online chatting- establish contact and if the attraction is there, meet for a drink of coffee. I think the reason online dating kind of has a bad rap is people build these false relationships based around excessive chats and perfect-lighting photos and feel that they've built up a 'perfect' version of themselves that will never hold up to the real deal. If you don't give yourself time to do that, then it's just like any other date.

I agree! If you don't fart around forever having loooong deep chats and intense emails, then meeting online is no different than meeting in a bar, at Starbucks, or any other place where you meet briefly and decide to go on a date.

I met my bf of 3 yrs on Plenty of Fish; we chatted/talked on the phone for about wk then had dinner. It was the holidays so our next date was a month later, and that was it. He's fabulous.
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far. I was very genuinely interested in how love matches came about. Certainly restored my faith in love, if only for a day. :) There are so many interesting, funny, unique, heartwarming stories and I've been reading them all throughout the day

I couldn't edit my original post to include my story so here it is:

I've only had one boyfriend. I met him online in a chat room when I was 16 (he was 19) He had just broken up with a long term gf and I merely liked talking to people around the world instead of doing my homework. He lives in NY and I live in Canada. We hit it off and quickly realized our strong connection. After an agreed upon year of talking and strengthening our bond, we decided to meet up and everything continued to fall into place. We have been in each other's lives romantically for 6 years.

The last two years have been especially tough. We are no longer together officially but remain connected because of our history. It hasn't been good this past year and I have been looking to move on with my life but I worry that it won't happen for me again and I don't know where to begin.

So it's been nice hearing all these stories. Makes me feel like my next chance at love mya come at any time :)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Both of our friends were looking for a room mate on roommates.com. They met up and moved in together. Over about a month, we had seen each other and partied together but never really talked much. Then one night he came in with a busted up knee from skateboarding. He was bleeding all over the place and no one would help him. I helped clean him up and bandaged up his knee. It took me almost hour or so to clean and bandage because we were just sitting there talking. Later that night he asked me out on a date and we've been together ever since, 5 1/2 years :)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far. I was very genuinely interested in how love matches came about. Certainly restored my faith in love, if only for a day. :) There are so many interesting, funny, unique, heartwarming stories and I've been reading them all throughout the day

I couldn't edit my original post to include my story so here it is:

I've only had one boyfriend. I met him online in a chat room when I was 16 (he was 19) He had just broken up with a long term gf and I merely liked talking to people around the world instead of doing my homework. He lives in NY and I live in Canada. We hit it off and quickly realized our strong connection. After an agreed upon year of talking and strengthening our bond, we decided to meet up and everything continued to fall into place. We have been in each other's lives romantically for 6 years.

The last two years have been especially tough. We are no longer together officially but remain connected because of our history. It hasn't been good this past year and I have been looking to move on with my life but I worry that it won't happen for me again and I don't know where to begin.

So it's been nice hearing all these stories. Makes me feel like my next chance at love mya come at any time :)

I can promise you, you won't move on until you let him go. I did that with my ex and we kept falling back to each other when things didn't work out with someone else. I never gave relationships a real chance because I felt a tie to our "history". It was only when I finally let him go did I move on and was able to fall in love again.

I am now married and we have a beautiful daughter and my ex is going to be married next month.

It hurts and it sucks to let go of someone you have loved and may still love, but you won't truly move on and give yourself to someone else until you do. :flowerforyou: