On average how many times per day do you guys eat?

Options
I was told that I should eat about 6 times a day, but that is really hard for me. They say it is what will keep your metabolism at an appropriate level. I forget to eat about every two to three hours. Any suggestions? When I do eat, I try to make sure that I have a protein, slow and fast carb, but that is really the only thing I have down. The snacks are what I forget and sometimes it is hard to get that breakfast in because when I wake up I start work and forget until about 10 or so that I have not had breakfast. I am not accustomed to eating breakfast because when I was younger it made me sick. Breakfast is such a sweet meal and I am not really into sugary things.

Replies

• melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    3 meals a day and a couple snacks midafternoon
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    How often & what time you eat is irrelevant. Just get your calories in for the day. Doesn't matter if you do it in 1 meal or 20 meals.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    6, usually a protein bar for breakfast (9:30), then a small lunch (12:30), then some fruit (3:00), then some protein (5:00), then dinner (7-8ish), then late night snack (11:00)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I eat all day long. Because I'm hungry,. It's 10:00 am here and I've already had 820 calories. LOL
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 6

piece of fruit about 10:30

Lunch at 12

granola bar around 3:00

evening snacks/meal around 6
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter how many times per day you eat. Alll that matters is calories/macros
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 4 and 7 (that's including sweet treats and coffees and stuff).
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I eat about 6 times a day, I just schedule it out....but I'm confused about this whole breakfast being a sugary meal thing. Why does it have to be sweet? I eat eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast half of the time, which is definitely not sweet...

You don't HAVE to eat 6 times a day. Plenty of people don't, and their metabolisms are just fine. If you'd rather eat 3 square meals and you're getting the appropriate calories/macros, then don't sweat the whole 6 meals a day thing. I'm a grazer/snacker, so eating small meals several times a day just works better for me and keeps me from being hungry between meals.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Long school days I eat about 6 times a day. Work days I eat 2 meals and whatever I can sneak in at work!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    6 times. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack... in that order.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is no one size fits all.

I usually skip breakfast, but if I'm particularly hungry I have a chai latte or a slice of peanut butter toast, then lunch, dinner and a fruit smoothie at the end of the evening.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    2 times
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be sweet. Somedays I have oatmeal or yogurt (sweet), but most days I have a Light English muffin with egg whites, lean ham, cheese, and mustard. You can have whatever you want for breakfast! :wink:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    3 meals a day and a few snacks if I need it.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It depends on my workout schedule. but on a big workout day, I'll eat three meals and four snacks. On a small day, three meals and two snacks

For instance....today I taught a spin class at 5:30 AM. I've already had close to 800 calories from a meal and two snacks, and it's only 10:00 AM..

Since I have two more classes coming up, I would imagine it'll be a three meal/four snack kind of day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 3 meals and 4 snacks/day. Not for weight loss reasons, but I find this way I am never overly hungry and my energy levels stay pretty consistent throughout the day.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....Let's see

4:30am - Breakfast
    8:00am - Snack
    10:30am - Snack
    12:30pm - Lunch
    2:30pm - Snack
    5:30pm - Snack
    8:00pm - Dinner

I guess I eat 7 times a day. :happy:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Eating several times a day does nothing for your metabolism but for some it keeps them full and from binging later on. It takes around 72 hours of NO food for metabolism to begin to slow. I tried the 6 x's a day thing and I hated it. All I thought about was food and consistently went over my calorie allowance. Now I eat 2 or 3 meals and sometimes a snack with in an 8 hour window. I do much better this way, I'm not as stressed about it, have more energy, no cravings or binges and stay with in my calorie allowances. Do what makes you feel best. Good luck!
  • kevinremer
    Options

6am - Snack (before morning workout)
    8am - Breakfast
    10am - Snack
    12pm - Lunch
    2pm - Snack
    4pm - Snack
    6pm - Dinner
    8:30 pm - Snack (after evening workout)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the frequency of eating that will affect your metabolism as much as making sure you eat as much food as you should in an entire day/week/etc, under-eating in general would do damage. Forgetting to eat just means you are only eating when you are hungry which makes sense. I don't eat much when I'm not hungry because at some point in the day I will be very hungry so that is when I want to use my calories. If I am really hungry early in the day I know how to prepare myself a lower calorie dinner or snack at night. If I didn't eat much during the day it's easy to have a higher calorie dinner and maybe some ice cream or whatever. I don't think it matters what time you eat, just that you EAT.