Do you have THOSE friends...

Options

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    That you always try and support every day but they never support you back? I have 20 friends on my list...and I always take a few minutes every time im on to say a good word on their diarys, exercise and posts...and I only have 2 who are supportive back! Its just irritating me, its like the take and take and dont give back. :angry: I understand if the working people cant comment every day...but at least a few times a week...but I get nothing from these other people ever. Does this irritate you?

Delete them and make new friends who are more supportive.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    As long as they long in occasionally, post something funny or rude or entertaining, and send naked pictures, what else do you need?
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yep. If we don't interact at all for a while then I simply don't keep the person on my list. I do like interaction and discussions between friends about what we're doing, what works, and how I can change up my meals. I enjoy a particular few friends on my list though honestly the majority barely says one word to me.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    As long as they long in occasionally, post something funny or rude or entertaining, and send naked pictures, what else do you need?
    True, true!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just went on a deleting rampage of people I never ever hear from. I try to say something to all my friends and have friends that are communicative in return. It keeps me motivated.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm kind of indifferent to the "friends" feature on this site. This isn't Facebook. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to lose weight. I track my food, get advice and encouragement when needed from the message boards, and go on my merry way. I don't really need someone checking my food diary or patting me on the back because I made it to the gym.

Encouragement from others is great, but I've learned I'm much more happier with myself and my progress when I motivate MYSELF. Because my opinion of who I am and what I'm doing is really all that matters.

^^^EXACTLY!
  • MissLuana
    Options
    ...it's not real life, so I just dump them. And even if it were real life, I'd still dump them.

^^^ this!!!

I've dropped people off my friend list for inactivity, entirely too much non-fitness related stuff and too much whining.

I just cut my daughter and shoulda been sister this week due to inactivity...LOL

It's my app and I know what I need from it :angry:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That you always try and support every day but they never support you back? I have 20 friends on my list...and I always take a few minutes every time im on to say a good word on their diarys, exercise and posts...and I only have 2 who are supportive back! Its just irritating me, its like the take and take and dont give back. :angry: I understand if the working people cant comment every day...but at least a few times a week...but I get nothing from these other people ever. Does this irritate you?

I predict that number will be smaller after 18 of them read your post.

(But, if you're right about how inactive they are, there's a good chance they'll never even see it.)

(ETA: Yeah, I know, insightful commentary from the guy who started this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709273-looking-for-fewer-friends )
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm kind of indifferent to the "friends" feature on this site. This isn't Facebook. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to lose weight. I track my food, get advice and encouragement when needed from the message boards, and go on my merry way. I don't really need someone checking my food diary or patting me on the back because I made it to the gym.

Encouragement from others is great, but I've learned I'm much more happier with myself and my progress when I motivate MYSELF. Because my opinion of who I am and what I'm doing is really all that matters.

Exactly....
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I post on my friends happenings but I only have a few that post on mine. I'm ok with that. The ones that don't comment are at least very entertaining.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Amen.

(And if I ever actually sent FRs, I'd send one to you.)
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have you requested your friends to support you. Maybe you should be mor vocal about what you need from them. Tell them you would like more support when you burn those extra calories or when your under your calorie goal. Those things ARE very important. I think if you tell your friends what you need, they will either give it to you or delete you. Either way supportive friends will rise to the top
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I delete as well and agree this is NOT facebook. We are here to support each other and give suggestions etc... Not a one way street. I give and encourage as it should be. Not just me me me....ROFL
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I don't typically have those types of people on my list. There are a few people doing the same thing I am (Couch to 5K) and I enjoy the back and forth commenting about that. I don't see the point in keeping people on here who aren't supportive so I'd just delete those who you never hear from, honestly.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options

You know whats funny - is I thought this for a long time - BUT as I have made more friends and become supportive to them and they to me AND have met several of them in person and plan to meet more in person I really think I would have quit by now - Its a damn motivating factor for me to be know people are looking at what Im eating wondering if Im exercising ANF it gets my *kitten* to the gym because as mush as I dont want to disappoint myself - I also want to hear them cheering me on and pushing me to be the best I can be - so the "friends" feature is really what keeps me coming back every day - and they show me their boobs so that helps too!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    No, all my friends are badass, even if they don't comment on any of my posts. I know that they're supportive without having to comment all the time.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Feel free to add me....might as well make it an even 21
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it's about giving where you feel like it... and receiving without expectations. I mean, sure... if you have people who never or rarely talk, then that can be a drag. But sometimes people are just really busy with work and life... and sometimes there are people I find worth following even though they can't comment often.

But most importantly... give without expectations of receiving.

Maybe you need to find more friends... and more compatible friends. There are lots of awesome people on here.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I post something for everyone everyday. I rarely hear anything but then again, I have a couple that do post everyday and somehow takes slack for the losers...lol...
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

That first sentence makes me sad.
    No this is not Facebook, but let me tell ya - I have made some amazing friends on this site that are there every day to encourage me, push me past limits I didn't know I had, comfort me on my bad days, kick me in the *kitten* when I need a push, chat with me when Im bored and so much more. There are only a handful of friends on my FL that I know in real life, and all the others have been through this site only. I tried the other day to clean my friends list and only had to get rid of 3!!

So while this site does not replace FB - I adore my FL because they each have their own story and are there for me when I need them!! Don't discount the friends you can make on this site. I've come to realize the support here can be far greater than what I get in real life!!