Two years of fun.

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
I'm a few weeks early but since I'm about to bulk, I'll post it now :)

My beginning happened two years ago. I hadn't seen my friend Nathanial in several years, and the 39" belly, 20+% bodyfat and 202 lbs (a soft, jiggly 202 lbs) I was carrying must have been an eye opener for him. He walked into the room, pointed at my belly, and said, verbatim "What the f#$% is that *kitten*?".

The next day I was in the gym.

I haven't looked back.

Being objective about the progress: I'm happy, but it could be better. My training has been less than optimal for a variety of reasons. The first ~16 months of this journey were spent in a corporate gym with no barbells. Shoulder injuries limited my pressing movements. Most of my training did not involve the big compound lifts. I made up of for it (or at least, I tried to) with volume. I was the guy doing 25+ sets with mostly isolation work on a bodypart split. LOL.

Did it work? I think so, at least as much as you see here, but I don't think it was ideal. I think better progress would have resulted from better training, but I'm still happy when looking at the big picture. I look less like a skinny fat guy and more like someone who lifts, so that's a plus.

Fortunately for me, I've improved the problems. I ditched the free gym. I recently hired a great trainer to specifically work with me on barbell techniques, I recently switched my training around to increase frequency (no more bodypart split), and despite my shoulder injuries I found a way to bench press without pain, largely due to taking the time to adjust my technique to remove stress from the shoulder girdle.

I have very big expectations for year #3.

This before picture shows me at about 202lbs. This is actually 4 weeks AFTER I started training and despite the lack of anything resembling a physique here, I do believe progress was made in those first 4 weeks. My bodyweight stayed the same but I saw some arm growth specifically. To anyone reading this who is beginning their journey, TAKE BEFORE PHOTOS. Do not be scared or ashamed of the camera. You need to see how bad it is so you can compare it when you make progress.

202lb, 39" around the navel, anywhere in the ballpark of 19-20% bodyfat at a visual estimation. The size of my gut is hard to fully appreciate in this pic:
1zqq80x.jpg

Here are some after photos, taken this AM. I was caliper tested (3 point) at 9% bodyfat. I would visually estimate my physique in the neighborhood of 10% and as such, I'm done cutting. Time to grow.

2cornew.jpg2j11pvc.jpg34r6pzm.jpg2u9o22f.jpg

EDIT: I also didn't do any cardio, because I dislike it.

Rough change in stats:

Before: 202lb, ~19-20% bodyfat, 39" at navel.
After: 182lb, ~10%bodyfat, 31.5-32" at navel.

When I started out for the first few weeks I didn't track intake. I just worked out, increased my consumption of whole foods, decreased my consumption of "junk" for lack of a better descriptor, and that's it. Then, as I started learning more and more about macros, and as I started reading and learning more, I decided to start keeping track of things. I started alternating cut and bulk cycles (eating at a deficit to cut fat, eating at a surplus to gain).

My progress has been largely due to:

1) Eating within a reasonable calorie total depending on my current goal (bulk/cut/recomp).
2) Consuming sufficient protein and fat.
3) Eating "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods and still eating "some" junk food here and there.
4) Lifting stuff, and trying to add weight to my lifts as I go.
5) Resting.

And for the most part, not getting too concerned with the little things.

I took one major break when my son was born, where I basically took a few weeks off and then slacked for a couple of months where I trained but basically goofed off.

Now I'm going to emo a bit, since it's my post and I can do that :)

I can't express how much joy, and how much personal growth I've experienced over the course of this. I'm not talking about growth in the biceps, I'm talking about growth as a person. I'm not sure how I can explain it, but I really believe that my passion for bodybuilding and nutrition has been a vehicle of sorts that has served to teach me things about myself that I'm not sure I'd ever learn had I not started this. This self-discovery, and growth, is something far more valuable to me than seeing abs or setting that PR.

In closing, while I routinely thank those who are responsible in my personal life, I also owe a very sincere thank you to Alan Aragon -- if I had never let go of my ridiculous misunderstandings of fitness and nutrition, I'm not sure I would have stuck to the plan. Reading his work hasn't given me all of the answers, but he's done a great job teaching me to ask the right questions, and rather than showing me what's important, he's shown me what isn't. And in the world of nutrition there seems to be a whole lot of nonsense that can get in the way of a simple, yet effective plan.

Thanks for reading this.

Train hard,
-SS-

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    awesome man!! keep up the good work!
  • hsnbro
    Options
    awesome SS, keep it up!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration and an incredible asset to this site. Congratulations on your "rock star status". It is well earned.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    "And for the most part, not getting too concerned with the little things."

Always good to keep in mind. And congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Great story and dedication!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm so honored to have seen this transition myself being your friend for so long here. You look amazing. Congratulations!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You ARE a rock star, Patrick!! And totally an inspiration. :heart:
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, did you say something? .....I was too busy staring at your abs.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You are one BEAUTIFUL man. :heart:
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can't express how much joy, and how much personal growth I've experienced over the course of this. I'm not talking about growth in the biceps, I'm talking about growth as a person. I'm not sure how I can explain it, but I really believe that my passion for bodybuilding and nutrition has been a vehicle of sorts that has served to teach me things about myself that I'm not sure I'd ever learn had I not started this. This self-discovery, and growth, is something far more valuable to me than seeing abs or setting that PR.

That's really awesome, SS!! :D

Thanks so much for sharing... you're an excellent role model on MFP and very inspirational, and a great source of information! Congrats on your achievements so far!!
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, Patrick! And this (among other things) is why we adore you!!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    bump since I can't see the pics at work
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Definitely inspirational. Appreciate you posting this.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration.

This x100
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I love the emo!~

A great success story AND a great friend! Good job SS!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you rock my socks on the daily. seriously, you're like a prime MFP friend. you flirt where it counts, but tell us the real deal when it comes down to the nitty gritty on nutrition, fitness, lifting, etc. i heart you. well done, chap.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!