What's the worst that can happen? (on a run)

Options
Excluding injury or some sort of dangerous situation* (like being attacked), what's the worst thing that can happen for you on a run? (or walk, bike ride, whatever)

1. Phone dying (including music and gps if I get lost)
2. Trots
3. Break hairband, don't have backup.
4. Quick onset thunderstorm, white tech shirt, white bra.

All of these have happened. I survived. Now I plan better.

*obviously, injury or being in danger is the *worst* that can happen, I don't want to downplay the importance of protecting yourself against those things, but just trying to talk about the funnier, minor meltdown-type emergencies.

Replies

• captaincharisma24
    Options
    ZOMBIE ATTACK!!!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Been caught in storms, peed behind trees & rocks, spotted dogs I was concerned might wanna chase me (didn't happen though, thankfully)... phone died, sunglasses falling off face (just quit wearing them finally), and worst of all I guess... seeing some odd characters on foot and in cars slowing down, honking, yelling, etc.

ETA: I think the worst is being yelled at by random strangers. That's unnerving. Even if it is probably harmless 16 yr old boys. Still unnerving.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    - Being itchy
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My friend was proud to announce runners diarrhea after her marathon. Glad I wasnt there for that.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1.Stomachache
    2.İnjury
    3.Side stitch
    4.Nausea

I guess nothing else can make me stop before finishing. I just dont care about the empty battery. I make the music in my head and finish my run.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1) shart
    2) bloody man nips from chafing (thank god for little round band-aids)
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Snakes on a trail run!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Snakes on a trail run!

I. would. FREAK. OUT!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My phobia used to be... trip on a tree root along a trail, fall down an embankment into a creek, hit my head on a rock, drown in six inches of water, and not be found until feral cats eat my face.

The worst that actually happened? Realized after about one mile that my ankle kinda hurt, ran another mile home, ankle hurt more, ended up with a stress fracture and on the bench for 6 weeks. But I spent that 6 weeks playing video games and self-medicating with chocolate, so it wasn't so bad. :laugh:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Chafing
    Losing a toenail
    Bug bites
    Cars backing out or running through cross walks.
    Dogs
    Nature calls

Endorphins - ahhhhhhhh they make it all worth it!

I had one of those runs this morning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/why-i-hate-running-423982
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Farting (loudly, ugh) with each step as you run until the gas has escaped completely! I learned that wearing underwear with them helps muffle the sound a little. That is my #1 reason for running alone. lol
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    sh!tting. anywhere.
    chafing- especially between my thighs. or on my bra line.
    my ipod dying is a tragedy!
    running wearing new running trousers, which don't quite stay up properly. then spending 10k holding onto them so my fat stomach doesn't drop out, and a yard of *kitten* is not exposed to the world.
    o, but true story. i was halfway through a run and stopped off at a burger king to use the loo. i then started running home along a busy main street in rush hour traffic. i was getting beeped and waved a a helluva lot- i was waving back, thinking i'd become a bit of a local celeb. i was stood a traffic lights about 3k later when a gust of wind blew the 2 metres of toilet paper that was stuck in the top of my pants into my field of vision. so, that was super.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Being chased by a giant dog. I hate that.
    Also, runner's trots. I try to run near places with public restrooms now.
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    Tripping and falling!!! Not injured but really embarrassed since I was jogging by the side of a busy road!

A cat jumping out of a bush (at night) and scaring the crap out of me! I almost peed myself! LOL.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Worst things that happened to me,
    A) saw a really cute guy running past me, turned to get a look, and when turning back twisted my ankle. ( i had to catch a plane that night and it swelled up so bad i couldn't walk off the plane)
    B) running faster than usual, tripped on some dodgy paving and grazed knees/ hands. I had no phone so had to hobble home ( learn't never to go without a phone)
    C) was just about to turn around to head back home when got stung ( oh my god was that a wasp or a bee? Am i alergic? Oh crap and hubby is 2 hours away, what to i do? Wait if i'm alergic i'd be dead by now. Phew) had to cycle back home in some pain. ( i did learn that bees/ wasps can sting though a t shirt and bra and i'm not alergic)
    D) got lost and a 4 k run turned into 9 k's ,( wouldn't have been so bad, but the 4 km was me goign further than i ever had before. ( learnt to plan my route better)

I think thats the worst that can happen .
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am SO SO SO relieved to read all of these!! I have runner's trots, runner's loose bowels, or whatever you want to call it. It totally sucks. It makes you feel so stupid. It usually hits me around mile 5-6 and then I am good to go.
    One of my worst was having my ITBand snap and I was three miles from home and had to walk home because the pain was too intense to jog or run. My phone was dead so I couldn't call anybody. Yeah that totally made me mad. THANKS again for your posts.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Worst thing for me- MY BRA BREAKS! I don't even walk around the house without a bra because I have bigger boobs and my shoulders can't take it!

Also, one time my dad was out on a run and got attacked by a dog. He had a few unkind words with the lady and then she called him a child molestor and called the cops on him. WTF?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE ATTACK!!!

No problem there, everyone in the US is packing heat when they go for a run. Your run would actually get a lot more awesome!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I dont want to answer this but um one time at a 5k i vomited on a poor time keeper he was unhappy to say the least
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Snakes on a trail run!

Happened to me!