What's the worst that can happen? (on a run)

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Running along the canal when the extremely hot weather has caused a big die-off in the carp population. The stench of dead, rotten fish permeated the hot humid air, no getting away from it anywhere. Every time I inhaled I gagged and dry heaved. Ended up vomiting up everything I'd eaten in the past two years, and gagged and dry heaved every step of the way home.
    Ugh - and I thought running past the college dairy was rough! *gag*
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear when running is twisting my ankle...

HAH! Weird eh?

But the first year I started running I tripped on a bridge, banged up my knee and twisted my ankle... then I got up and kept running. I was out of commission for months after. Took forever to heal.

The second time around I tripped on a pebble (IT'S POSSIBLE!) and twisted my ankle. Had to hobble home. The pain was too bad to run.

So yeah... twisting ankles is my biggest fear. Because it stops the run.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    World explodes.
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    stepping in a pot hole...falling...and breaking a leg!!! EEEEKK I worry about that when I run at night.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Chafing
    Losing a toenail
    Bug bites
    Cars backing out or running through cross walks.
    Dogs
    Nature calls

Endorphins - ahhhhhhhh they make it all worth it!

I had one of those runs this morning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/why-i-hate-running-423982
    ha - great blog post - thanks for the laughs! :laugh:
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE ATTACK!!!

Yes!!!! OMG I love that app.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have been attacked and licked to death by puppies...seriously. The owner couldn't get the puppies(3) off me, I had to walk to their yard so they could tie them up. I smiled for the next 5 miles.

I had a young pitbull squirm out from under a fence to give me pupkiss and a tail thrashing. He was about 6 months old and all wiggles. I had to pick him up and hand him back over the fence to the owners. :heart:
  • hollimahoney
    Options
    Farting (loudly, ugh) with each step as you run until the gas has escaped completely! I learned that wearing underwear with them helps muffle the sound a little. That is my #1 reason for running alone. lol

ROFL!
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    SNAKES!
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Why'd it have to be snakes? :smile:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Sprinklers! I tried running in the park this morning and all the effing sprinklers were spraying the trail. I had to run in the squishy grass and then completely detour altogether. Pissed me off.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sprinklers! I tried running in the park this morning and all the effing sprinklers were spraying the trail. I had to run in the squishy grass and then completely detour altogether. Pissed me off.
    Oh Nooo! Though, I have purposely run through sprinklers in july/august heat, but getting trapped and running in muck would totally piss me off too!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    My biggest fear when running is twisting my ankle...

HAH! Weird eh?

But the first year I started running I tripped on a bridge, banged up my knee and twisted my ankle... then I got up and kept running. I was out of commission for months after. Took forever to heal.

The second time around I tripped on a pebble (IT'S POSSIBLE!) and twisted my ankle. Had to hobble home. The pain was too bad to run.

So yeah... twisting ankles is my biggest fear. Because it stops the run.

I have weak ankles. It's actually the reason I started running in the cemetery- because you can run in the middle of the road and they're nice new asphalt. I twisted my ankle earlier this summer on a hazardous sidewalk and have been avoiding uneven surfaces ever since. Damn soccer RUINED my ankles!

I should add, that after I twisted my ankle, I thought it was stable enough to run on sooner than the medical professionals advised, and I was about 2 miles away from home in a large public park, and my ankle collapsed under me and I face-planted with no warning on the asphalt in the park. That was pretty embarrassing. A small crowd surrounded me to make sure I was OK, which was nice, but just made me feel even more stupid.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There's these fearless geese that sometimes block my running path. I have to run around them. Once I tried running through the flock and got hissed at.

Oh, and I also saw a vulture eating a dead squirrel on the path once. Sick.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    There's these fearless geese that sometimes block my running path. I have to run around them. Once I tried running through the flock and got hissed at.

Gross @ the squirrel, and Geese are some scary-*kitten* birds!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Gross @ the squirrel, and Geese are some scary-*kitten* birds!

I saw a baby garner snake eating a worm, which totally grossed me out. I at least was able to leap over them but it was nasty. I went home and told my boys and my youngest wanted me to drive him up where I saw it. BOYS!!
  • sazzydee1
    Options
    I tripped on a pavement slab, fell @ss over t!t and needed 5 stitches in my knee! That is the short version!!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    chaffing
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness my worst was falling on my face. I was running along a very pretty mountain road and not paying attention (as usual). The next thing I knew I had stepped off of the road and was falling. I was thinking to myself "Man my hands are going to get beat up!" I put them out to catch myself and they didn't work! I just kept right on going! I may as well have not even tried. I took the brunt of the fall with my right shoulder and the rest of it with my chin. My hands that I was so worried about didn't even get a scratch. Go figure.

We were attending a wedding that day where my fiance was one of the groomsman....great pictures with my scratched, bloody shoulder/chin.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Trots. Oh man. It's only happened to me once or twice, but I basically felt sick the rest of the day. Sucked, man. The worst part is it's next to impossible for me to discern if I'm going to have that issue or not.