Zero calorie "meal" (or close to 0)

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The question becomes, is 1200 calories/day enough for you?

If it's always in the evening that you are hungry, maybe you should save some calories for an evening snack.

Or, if it's just boredom or habit that you're hungry in the evening, have some water or unsweetened tea. Go for a walk. Are you still hungry? Then eat something small that has protein (string cheese, egg, small handful of almonds) to fill you up because you just burned the calories off by walking.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    When we were completely broke, we'd get lettuce and some distilled vinegar and eat that...and yes...it's quite good. I still eat it, but instead of distilled, I use red wine vinegar and leaf lettuce.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I don't have an eating disorder...but at the end of the day, when I've already eaten my alloted 1200 calories, sometimes I'm still hungry...and the night is still young, so chowing down on some very low cal foods beats the hunger.

Woah, woah, woah. You're on a 1200 plan? Do you KNOW your BMR or TDEE? You DEFINITELY have room to eat more, not only the days you are hungry, but every day. You have a fairly small weight loss goal--it's going to be very hard and very unsustainable to try and lose 2lb a week (which I'm sure you told MFP if your calorie goal is 1200).

I'd recommend upping your calories in general, let alone for days where your body is "ROAAR."

BTW: If you're pretty hydrated, and generally eating well, it can definitely be a sign that your body is needing more fuel. After a month's plateau for me being on 1200 and a 13 lb weight loss, I had a few straight mornings where I was WOKEN UP by my stomach growling. It was time to up!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If your body is begging for food, it is generally a good idea to give it some, whether you're over your calories or not...

Edit - and I don't mean zero calorie meals either. Get some sustainable food in your belly.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm low on calories I'll fix a giant salad or roast/grill a bunch of veggies, or make some simple veggie soup. Not zero calorie, more like <50 kcals. More often I'll make these things and have it with a more calorie dense food. I really like veggies.

And guys, many of us (me included) have broken hunger signals. Would it be normal for a healthy, fit person to think like this? No. But for someone who has overeaten to the point of obesity, adequate nutrition and calorie intake often isn't enough for satiation. I have no idea where OP is coming from.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nobody typically "WANTS" a zero calorie meal, BUT if you have eaten all of your calories for the day, and eaten good food at that, you still may need a little "something" to make it through the rest of the day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a few ideas about low cal (or no cal) foods to curb that hunger. Geez.

If you're already at your calorie allocation and you're starving, why not just eat something real and say "today is not a weight loss day, I'm just going to eat my TDEE (maintenance), tomorrow I'll plan better"?
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I don't have an eating disorder...but at the end of the day, when I've already eaten my alloted 1200 calories, sometimes I'm still hungry...and the night is still young, so chowing down on some very low cal foods beats the hunger.

Woah, woah, woah. You're on a 1200 plan? Do you KNOW your BMR or TDEE? You DEFINITELY have room to eat more, not only the days you are hungry, but every day. You have a fairly small weight loss goal--it's going to be very hard and very unsustainable to try and lose 2lb a week (which I'm sure you told MFP if your calorie goal is 1200).

I'd recommend upping your calories in general, let alone for days where your body is "ROAAR."

BTW: If you're pretty hydrated, and generally eating well, it can definitely be a sign that your body is needing more fuel. After a month's plateau for me being on 1200 and a 13 lb weight loss, I had a few straight mornings where I was WOKEN UP by my stomach growling. It was time to up!

I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, but I've noticed that if I've been sticking to my calories for while and my weight loss stalls, giving my system a bit of a "Shock" jump starts things again. I may decide to go get the delicous burger after 9pm and the next morning had LOST a pound!

But eat what/how you want. If you want to be good, be good. If you really just want something bad, it's not always derailing to eat something bad (but delicious)!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut has 25-35 calories per 100g. In the UK you can't get it in cans, but the average jar size is 900g. That's 315 calories more than zero.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, but I've noticed that if I've been sticking to my calories for while and my weight loss stalls, giving my system a bit of a "Shock" jump starts things again. I may decide to go get the delicous burger after 9pm and the next morning had LOST a pound!

Not to diminish you, or disagree at all, but you do realize that you're weighing yourself before you've even digested that burger, right? Your weight on the scale is a closer reflection of what you ate 2-3 days ago than last night.

Also stop making me hungry :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I would say get the hoover out, burn some cals, if your desperate, peel an apple and eat only the skin, most goodness is in the skin along with fiber to help keep away hunger. baggie the rest for a prework-out snake or freeze for another week.

So I should vacuum myself and then tediously skin an apple, gnaw at only the skin as if it were human flesh, and then drape myself in snakes and hop on the elliptical.

I love weight loss, it's so magickal
  • partioke1
    Options
    At least get a serving of fruit or vegetable instead of just empty calorie even if you have to go over by some. I tend to go to vegetables if I want a snack and have no calories. Chop tomatoes, celery, onion and peppers, then use fat free Italian dressing for a low calorie snack that has some value nutritionally. If you want something sweet, grapes or berries with a teaspoon of fat free Cool Whip, just watch the sugar through the day.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    So I should vacuum myself and then tediously skin an apple, gnaw at only the skin as if it were human flesh, and then drape myself in snakes and hop on the elliptical.

BRB submitting calorie burn estimation for Peeling - Apples (medium, raw with skin)
  • auroranflash
    Options

BRB submitting calorie burn estimation for Peeling - Apples (medium, raw with skin)

You should put on your HRM n00b you know MFP calorie counts aren't going to be accurate
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This post can't be serious amirite? Ok I'll play along... Hmmm how many calories is in dirt? It's all natural and organic *winning* if you get lucky you might find some protein in that dirt as well :) also air and water are zero calories, but your choice to take in air is not recommended by me. Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    You should put on your HRM n00b you know MFP calorie counts aren't going to be accurate

I'll strap my HRM on after I boost my metabolism with rocket fuel
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would say get the hoover out, burn some cals, if your desperate, peel an apple and eat only the skin, most goodness is in the skin along with fiber to help keep away hunger. baggie the rest for a prework-out snake or freeze for another week.

I guess I should have kept the IUD. What I've been missing in my weight loss efforts all this time is a snake!
  • auroranflash
    Options
    This post can't be serious amirite? Ok I'll play along... Hmmm how many calories is in dirt? It's all natural and organic *winning* if you get lucky you might find some protein in that dirt as well :) also air and water are zero calories, but your choice to take in air is not recommended by me. Good luck!

This is bad information. The caloric heft of dirt would depend on what it consists of. Could you honestly say sand has as many calories as, say, clay? No? Which one is more Paleo-friendly? Atkins-friendly? Do your research before offering up such dangerous advice. It is also not fair to group all 'dirt' together. But do what works for you, we're all here for the same reason.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    run 10 miles, then have some ribs + veg, you can even have a dessert!

that should negate to zero quite nicely!

well earned ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This is bad information. The caloric heft of dirt would depend on what it consists of. Could you honestly say sand has as many calories as, say, clay? No? Which one is more Paleo-friendly? Atkins-friendly? Do your research before offering up such dangerous advice. It is also not fair to group all 'dirt' together. But do what works for you, we're all here for the same reason.

Um, I think that YOU need the edumacating. Sand is not dirt.
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nobody typically "WANTS" a zero calorie meal, BUT if you have eaten all of your calories for the day, and eaten good food at that, you still may need a little "something" to make it through the rest of the day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a few ideas about low cal (or no cal) foods to curb that hunger. Geez.

I so agree with this!!! It seems like MFP is filling up with self proclaimed "experts" who want to belittle and bash people over even the smallest of comments.

Really guys...are you all that perfect that you never just want to snack? Sometimes I say "I'm starving" and know I am not. I don't have an eating disorder and am aware of the fact that I am not really starving. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO EAT!!!!

Kudos to you for having the will power to eat something that is very low calorie and not binging like someone with a true eating disorder would do!! Oh and BTW....I actually like sauerkraut too!!