Zero calorie "meal" (or close to 0)

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this!!! It seems like MFP is filling up with self proclaimed "experts" who want to belittle and bash people over even the smallest of comments.

Really guys...are you all that perfect that you never just want to snack? Sometimes I say "I'm starving" and know I am not. I don't have an eating disorder and am aware of the fact that I am not really starving. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO EAT!!!!

Kudos to you for having the will power to eat something that is very low calorie and not binging like someone with a true eating disorder would do!! Oh and BTW....I actually like sauerkraut too!!

Having actually had an eating disorder myself, the idea of eating very few (1200) calories and satisfying hunger with zero-calorie foods is an anorexic behavior. Maybe not a full blown eating disorder, but it's a concern.

Being concerned about someone's eating habits doesn't mean "we're too perfect to snack". That doesn't make sense. Of course I snack. Sometimes I eat celery as a snack because I like celery, and I don't want something really filling. But if you're eating the bare minimum, still hungry, and looking for food that's basically WATER to stave hunger pangs, you really would benefit from a nutritionist's advice, or a lot of research into how many calories you SHOULD be eating.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This post can't be serious amirite? Ok I'll play along... Hmmm how many calories is in dirt? It's all natural and organic *winning* if you get lucky you might find some protein in that dirt as well :) also air and water are zero calories, but your choice to take in air is not recommended by me. Good luck!

This is bad information. The caloric heft of dirt would depend on what it consists of. Could you honestly say sand has as many calories as, say, clay? No? Which one is more Paleo-friendly? Atkins-friendly? Do your research before offering up such dangerous advice. It is also not fair to group all 'dirt' together. But do what works for you, we're all here for the same reason.

Um, I think that YOU need the edumacating. Sand is not dirt.

Lol and neither is clay...
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I'm starving I eat, regardless if I have calories left over or not. If you are starving, then perhaps your calorie per day goal is too low, or you're not eating the right foods during the day.

With that said, IF I am hungry, and would rather not eat food, I will make a cup of green tea, or drink a bottle of ice cold water.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This post can't be serious amirite? Ok I'll play along... Hmmm how many calories is in dirt? It's all natural and organic *winning* if you get lucky you might find some protein in that dirt as well :) also air and water are zero calories, but your choice to take in air is not recommended by me. Good luck!

This is bad information. The caloric heft of dirt would depend on what it consists of. Could you honestly say sand has as many calories as, say, clay? No? Which one is more Paleo-friendly? Atkins-friendly? Do your research before offering up such dangerous advice. It is also not fair to group all 'dirt' together. But do what works for you, we're all here for the same reason.

It is in Georgia!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

It is in Georgia!

Technically no. It's made up of the same stuff as chalk, and holds more water. But hey NOM NOM NOM, all the same to me
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Sometimes I chew some suga free gum or a sugar free minit. Usually does the trick for me.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh, are doing Pica cravings?! HOW BOUT THEM PENNIES AND ICE CHIPS?
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this!!! It seems like MFP is filling up with self proclaimed "experts" who want to belittle and bash people over even the smallest of comments.

Really guys...are you all that perfect that you never just want to snack? Sometimes I say "I'm starving" and know I am not. I don't have an eating disorder and am aware of the fact that I am not really starving. I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO EAT!!!!

Kudos to you for having the will power to eat something that is very low calorie and not binging like someone with a true eating disorder would do!! Oh and BTW....I actually like sauerkraut too!!

Having actually had an eating disorder myself, the idea of eating very few (1200) calories and satisfying hunger with zero-calorie foods is an anorexic behavior. Maybe not a full blown eating disorder, but it's a concern.

Being concerned about someone's eating habits doesn't mean "we're too perfect to snack". That doesn't make sense. Of course I snack. Sometimes I eat celery as a snack because I like celery, and I don't want something really filling. But if you're eating the bare minimum, still hungry, and looking for food that's basically WATER to stave hunger pangs, you really would benefit from a nutritionist's advice, or a lot of research into how many calories you SHOULD be eating.

Being concerned is fine....voicing that concern is also okay, but what is not okay is to treat the OP like she is an idiot and suggest that she eat dirt or stop breathing air.

Funny part of this whole thing is it's usually the "fit people" who are so nasty and negative.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?!?

:huh:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Just eat 100-200 calories... you won't gain by going over this much. Listen to your body!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread saddens me...

...in many ways.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oh, are doing Pica cravings?! HOW BOUT THEM PENNIES AND ICE CHIPS?

I prefer Crayons and Paste, thankyouverymuch.
  • 2boypeas
    Options
    Anna, if you're starving, eating sauerkraut isn't going to fill that void. While sauerkrut may be 0 calories, it can be upwards of 900 mg. of sodium per cup. Yikes! The only reason I mention it at all is because many people believe only overweight people develop high blood pressure. I was in my 20's, 5'10, 135 lbs., and very athletic when diagnosed with HBP.

Consider what you're eating during the day, make sure foods are protein/fiber rich to keep you satiated longer.

To answer your question- Usually, I'll grab a few almonds, raw veggies, raspberries, hard boiled egg whites, small apple or hummus if I need a little something extra. Your body may need a bit more than your currently giving it.

There are definitely times I could eat the *kitten* end out of a buffalo, so I know what hungry feels like. For me, evenings can be tricky, I just make sure to have healthy options available.

Good luck to you. Losing weight is hard!

*Disclaimer* No harm has ever come to the hind parts of buffalo in my quest for thinness. I have bitten my fingers a time or two though.
  • Freya807
    Options
    Weight loss, in general, is calories in versus calories out. If your body is used to receiving a certain number of calories to sustain your current weight, and you want to lose weight, you need to decrease your calories, increase your calorie output, or both. In either case, when your body notices the calorie deficit, it will try to let you know by making you hungry.

In my case, feeling hunger is a necessary part of weight loss. Especially since I've had issues with portion control in the past, and would continue to feel "hungry" until I was gorged. I'm working on re-training my brain on how it percieves food, and my stomach on what it considers to be adequate nutrition.

If you have eaten your recommended calories for the day, maybe you need to tough it out. After a few days, your stomach will shrink a little and maybe it will be more manageable. I have days where I feel really hungry too, and I like the idea of eating something low cal and high fiber to take the edge off.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have calories, then it doesn't have any nutrition and there's no point in eating it. I would never do this. It sounds like an eating disorder.

Of course it does. I would guess a lot of the people on here have one. Whether it's binging or restricting or both. The original post was not about the feelings that went along with the hunger. That is what an eating disorder is about not eating a zero calorie meal. Sorry if this sounds like an attack. Just being enlightening. I've seen too many people pass judgment about someone having an eating disorder based on what they eat and ED's are not about the food. I don't see anything wrong with eating foods with less calories when you have met your calorie goal for the day. It's better than starving.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    These "zero" calorie meals don't sound like meals at all.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    If I was still hungry after my calories for the day and it was still daytime, I'd eat two hard boiled eggs with apple slices and a piece of toast. Nice small balanced meal with good nutrients.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    why are so many ppl so freaked out about someone needing a (very) low cal snack?
    threads about 100 cal snacks BLOW UP- but finding things like pickles and sour kraut is bad because they have nothing to offer?

If I usually eat 1400-1500 GOOD calories- (go look, usually I eat very well) but Im a little hungry at night and would like to not go over. Ive had 4 servings of veg, Ive had 3 fruits, I had dinner too early - a nice fish, quinoa and broccoli -but now Im hungry. -why should I blow my goal calories for the day?

advice varies from - go run more so I can eat more.
    drink water
    eat anyway- sticking to 14-1500 cals is apparently a joke to many
    eat more veg
    eat an apple's skin ( a new one to me)

How about I eat a pickle or 1/2 cup of kraut?

I really cant figure out why not, other than some ppl just want to be negative about other ppl's weight loss tricks.

Dont get me wrong- I wouldnt eat zero all day and I do watch my nutrition. However - when at the end of the day I am hungry I think its great I can choose to go over with an apple or stay under with a pickle.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    you are getting so many negative replies to this post!!! lighten up guys! surely many of us eat all our calories and, particularly if we ate them at an imprompu lunch or something, we may be hungry later......i think it's a great question! my emergency meal is roasted veg which isn't zero, but comes in well under 100 cals and is good if you've managed to find yourself with no calories for dinner. someone posted about roasted green beans which taste like chips and they would come in very low in calories too. look forward to reading some other ideas
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    ps or do some exercise to gain some more calories to eat!