Starvatio mode, excerices cals ect...

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Thanks for posting this I have never been able to eat back my calories and now I can stop trying so hard lol I have even lost friends over this nice to know she was just overreacting and well being a bit of a ***** lol :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Thanks for posting this I have never been able to eat back my calories and now I can stop trying so hard lol I have even lost friends over this nice to know she was just overreacting and well being a bit of a ***** lol :)

Lol glad you can rationalize your 0 net calorie diet based on a nonsensical forum post. Good luck on your "journey", I'm sure you will lose the weight and keep it off. :flowerforyou:
  • this was such a pointless thread and added nothing to the debate on starvation mode. I'm glad it helped you OP but seriously...nothing about it actually refuted the concept of starvation mode.

Im sorry that it wasnt helpful to you, It was very helpful for me so I shared it. She stated that starvation mode is not something that just happens if your not getting 1200 calories because maybe your particular body doesnt need them. Starving is a real thing however people who are really starving and have been are not gaining weight, the weight gain come from when you are eating less then your body needs because you are trying to lose weight fast then returning to many more calories therefore your body gains weight because it is used to a low amount of calories. Meaning if you truly dont need 1200 calories you wont need them in a year either and you wont gain weight because you wont start eating more.

And you can disagree once again i was just clarifing since you seemed to not understand what i was trying to say.

yeah. again, none of that actually refutes the idea behind "starvation mode." starvation mode is simply a depressed metabolism--as in your example of "you are trying to lose weight fast then returning to many more calories therefore your body gains weight because it is used to a low amount of calories" ...the "used to a low amount of calories" is what people are referring to when they warn others of starvation mode. no, it's not something that magically happens because you eat less than 1200 calories but odds are that 1200 calories IS TOO LOW and that's why people use that number as a "red flag" for potential "starvation mode."
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I still can't figure out why she brought this to the forum.
    If her doctor and nutritionist is right about eating at a VLCD level then do it and stay off the forums.
    In 2-3 months time when she can't even eat a decent meal without having water weight issues or CNS fatigue she will post another topic "eating 1200 calories and not losing anything! HELP!"
    Type it into the search on the forum then come back with your findings.

You can't just point to 2 overweight people, 1 6 foot tall and the other 5 foot tall and say "eat 1200 calories to lose weight."
    It's ****ing stupid.
    The numbers I posted earler were done on a nutrition calculator using formulas that include age, height, weight, body fat% and activity.
    You can't just blanket a number and call it right.
    Unfortunately nutritionist and doctors do that and end up screwing people up.

Starvation?
    Hardly.
    Go 3 days with no food or nutrients and you could be in "starvation mode".
    Even then if you have the fat to withstand it and the team if doctors to monitor your vitals like the guy in Scotland who went 250+ days fasted, you would still be doing yourself a disservice.

Why the **** would anyone want to take the most complex and precious machine in the universe and give it the absolute minimum is beyond me.
    Sorry I'm a bit passionate about this but after helping so many people and proving that you can lose weight and have sustained weight loss eating at 1600-3200 calories a day I feel the need to speak up about this.
    Regular average people.
    Some morbidly obese and some looking to gain lean muscle or weight in general.
    It just doesn't compute why you would opt for bare minimum.

Thank you Dan for your contribution and your patience. It is beyond me how the "#1 nutritionist in the state" can give out dangerous, blanket advice like this.

It's silly to eat back your exercise calories? Really? When losing weight, a calorie deficit is all you need. You can achieve this through diet, exercise, or both. A larger deficit is not always better. Read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Then go:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Figure out your numbers. Give yourself a modest calorie deficit, a little larger if you have much to lose. Find an eating plan and a workout plan you can adhere to, whatever that may be. Adhere to it. Weight loss is not linear. Do not expect to weigh less every day or every week.

The more time and care you put into your body, the more it will show.

The less time and care you put into your body, and the more you try to look for shortcuts, and ignore your own needs (emotionally/phsyically/psychologically) while fighting to reach some bright red number on a digital scale, the less it is going to work.

Only honest dedication, planning, and effort will pay off in the end.

Find yourselves some fit friends and listen to what they have to say. You may learn a lot. You probably won't end up doing exactly what they did, because everyone lives a bit differently and this is a trial and error game, but you will see it is much more about their routine and habits and less about some magical numbers they're hitting or the Shake Weight they just bought from CVS.
  • Lkatinas
    Lkatinas Posts: 14 Member
    Congrats on failing to understand even the very basic science behind the subject and posting a completely uninformed and wrong summary.

Wow, really?
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    THANK YOU!:drinker:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    An awesome thread from Steve Troutman who was referenced earlier in this thread. He is a highly respected fitness and nutrition expert and he discusses some things specifically related to adaptive thermogenesis and the long term consequences. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746654-diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns
  • You do not have to agree with what i say, And i do enjoy feedback thats postive and helpful which some of your defintley gave. Im not saying im right im not claiming to be an expert. As i said i just joined so i havent had the trail and errror of this website yet. If you have something to say or completly disagree thats fine but their is no need to get rude about it, we all have the right to share what we have learned. I shared what my dr shared with me and has helped 1000's of people in our community lose weight and mantain a healthy lifestyle in a way that works for them! Each and everyone of us are different in the way our bodies function i understand that, I was sharing what my dr who has a PH.D in nutritional science shared with me. you may choose to believe or choose to do your own thing, but please go about it in a way that is constructive as we are all adults.
  • An awesome thread from Steve Troutman who was referenced earlier in this thread. He is a highly respected fitness and nutrition expert and he discusses some things specifically related to adaptive thermogenesis and the long term consequences. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746654-diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns

This is what im talking about! I am so thankful for someone who has an artical and wants to actually explain their arguement, Just as he doesnt have to think im right none of you have to think my dr is right, but it is not uneducated and at least he has a reason to believe what he does. and I have no problem reading this as well.
  • you do realize that losing weight does little to prove that it's "sustainable" and "works for them" right? You do know the statistics regarding weight regain, right? Yeah, people can lose weight while not eating back their exercise calories but guess what...EVENTUALLY THEY WANT TO EAT MORE. And like you already conceded, that's when the weight regain starts. So yeah, maybe "starvation mode" is a little dramatic but the adaptive thermogenesis, that is very real, causes individuals to burn far less than one would predict and they become predisposed to weight regain once they've achieved their goal weight. read about that--there are lots of studies BY PEOPLE WITH PhDs that support the idea behind "starvation mode." Semantics aside...this is a well supported physiological principle and it would serve you well to read up on it instead of taking any/all advice simply because someone has the title "Dr." Many doctors are actually quite oblivious to the physiological consequences of eating a restricted calorie diet--overexercising--or a combination of the two. Yeah, they kinda know but unless they've studied it and have proven themselves knowledgeable in the field then having a PhD means very little. I know you said this Dr. is well respected in the community--well then I'd like their name, surely they've published in peer reviewed journals, right?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Adaptive thermogenesis in action on a 300 calorie intake with 25% weight loss :-

[img]https://s-media-cache-ec5.pinimg.com/upload/48413764714673576_bTzxOvvp.jpg [/quote][/img]
  • you do realize that losing weight does little to prove that it's "sustainable" and "works for them" right? You do know the statistics regarding weight regain, right? Yeah, people can lose weight while not eating back their exercise calories but guess what...EVENTUALLY THEY WANT TO EAT MORE. And like you already conceded, that's when the weight regain starts. So yeah, maybe "starvation mode" is a little dramatic but the adaptive thermogenesis, that is very real, causes individuals to burn far less than one would predict and they become predisposed to weight regain once they've achieved their goal weight. read about that--there are lots of studies BY PEOPLE WITH PhDs that support the idea behind "starvation mode." Semantics aside...this is a well supported physiological principle and it would serve you well to read up on it instead of taking any/all advice simply because someone has the title "Dr." Many doctors are actually quite oblivious to the physiological consequences of eating a restricted calorie diet--overexercising--or a combination of the two.

Yes i do understand that thats why i said lost weight and lived a healthy lifestyle, i was meaning that they kept it off after the weight loss. and your actually reiterating alot of my statements about why you gain weight because you starving if you eat to low, the key of my point was that some people can survive their whole lives on 1200 calories or less, Please enough with the snarky comments, she is a great dr for me! you dont have to agree you may go to your own dr, look up your own articals, and do whatever you want and we may both have wonderful results. The world works because not everyone agrees and everyone is different so yes another dr may prove mine wrong, and it goes on and on. But just like many people i was sharing what i learned.

I feel that maybe your not understand what i was posting, she is not saying i need to eat less then 1200 or that it is healthy for most people i have said over and over it is not the normal but some people can. I was saying starvation mode is not what i have read many people to believe which is that you automatically go into when you go under 1200. Maybe some people just dont know that starvation mode is different for every person and eating 1000 calories isnt neccesarily going to put you in it.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,462 Member

Lol glad you can rationalize your 0 net calorie diet based on a nonsensical forum post. Good luck on your "journey", I'm sure you will lose the weight and keep it off. :flowerforyou:

Do I smell SARCASM???? :laugh:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    To all those who support the 1200 calories per day, my question is why? Why eat only 1200 when you could accomplish the same thing by eating 1500 or 1700 or whatever. Why deprive yourself of fuel and the pleasure of food?

I started MFP as a 1200 calorie eating, breakfast every day, cardio queen. Yes, I lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but it didn't take long for me to come to a screeching halt and plateau. When I started exercising less, strength training more, and increased my calories to 1650 and eating back about 2/3rds of my exercise I started losing again.

This is not a sprint, people! Weight loss and lifetime maintenance takes time and a lifestyle that you can stick to. I don't know about you, but I LOVE being able to eat and drink and still lose weight.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    An awesome thread from Steve Troutman who was referenced earlier in this thread. He is a highly respected fitness and nutrition expert and he discusses some things specifically related to adaptive thermogenesis and the long term consequences. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746654-diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns

This is what im talking about! I am so thankful for someone who has an artical and wants to actually explain their arguement, Just as he doesnt have to think im right none of you have to think my dr is right, but it is not uneducated and at least he has a reason to believe what he does. and I have no problem reading this as well.

I believe there have been 8 others on here that have also quoted articles, multiple times, to explain their arguments. Did you read the rest of the posts?
  • you do realize that losing weight does little to prove that it's "sustainable" and "works for them" right? You do know the statistics regarding weight regain, right? Yeah, people can lose weight while not eating back their exercise calories but guess what...EVENTUALLY THEY WANT TO EAT MORE. And like you already conceded, that's when the weight regain starts. So yeah, maybe "starvation mode" is a little dramatic but the adaptive thermogenesis, that is very real, causes individuals to burn far less than one would predict and they become predisposed to weight regain once they've achieved their goal weight. read about that--there are lots of studies BY PEOPLE WITH PhDs that support the idea behind "starvation mode." Semantics aside...this is a well supported physiological principle and it would serve you well to read up on it instead of taking any/all advice simply because someone has the title "Dr." Many doctors are actually quite oblivious to the physiological consequences of eating a restricted calorie diet--overexercising--or a combination of the two.

Yes i do understand that thats why i said lost weight and lived a healthy lifestyle, i was meaning that they kept it off after the weight loss. and your actually reiterating alot of my statements about why you gain weight because you starving if you eat to low, the key of my point was that some people can survive their whole lives on 1200 calories or less, Please enough with the snarky comments, she is a great dr for me! you dont have to agree you may go to your own dr, look up your own articals, and do whatever you want and we may both have wonderful results. The world works because not everyone agrees and everyone is different so yes another dr may prove mine wrong, and it goes on and on. But just like many people i was sharing what i learned.

I feel that maybe your not understand what i was posting, she is not saying i need to eat less then 1200 or that it is healthy for most people i have said over and over it is not the normal but some people can. I was saying starvation mode is not what i have read many people to believe which is that you automatically go into when you go under 1200. Maybe some people just dont know that starvation mode is different for every person and eating 1000 calories isnt neccesarily going to put you in it.

well the people who think that 1200 calories = AUTOMATIC starvation mode are also ill-informed and rather silly. I just wanted you to be cautious of restricting your calories to unhealthy levels because you thought that's what your doctor was condoning. my apologies for it not being communicated in that way.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    *facepalm*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

You are accurate in saying that if you eat under 1200 one day out of the month that you will NOT go into starvation mode. I really hate the term 'starvation mode.' What actually happens is that people eat at too great of a deficit end up cutting out important nutrients such as protein and unsaturated fats. When this occurs consistently over a long period of time, it triggers a hormonal reaction in the body. This reaction causes the body to release grehlin (which increases the appetite) and cortisol (a stress hormone that causes the body to perform more effeciently). The grehlin will force you to feel hungry ALL the time between meals. I was eating 6 times a day with a 1500 calorie goal and day after day succumbed to the hunger and would end up eating 2700 to 3500 calories a day. That is when I learned about grehlin and how eliminating fats from my diet (particularly the unsaturated fats) caused my body to release it to make me want more food. Also, cortisol causes the body to perform better with less energy. It is also released due to the lack of fats.

There is sooooo much more on the subject that I don't have time to cover here. I don't have any links that I can provide. I will recommend a book, however, the New Rules of Lifting for Women explains this in depth and great detail. I appreciate that you obviously have a pursuit for knowledge, but I encourage you not to stop with your doctor and nutritionist. Go to your public library. Do some Google searches. Keep looking for more information. Nutritional science is a HUGE field and there is much more to the subject than you are going to learn in an hour speaking to a certified nutritionist.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    why do so many people bash others when they post something trying to be helpful. there are more *kitten* in this world than good people. that's what I know.
This discussion has been closed.