Drinking soda to Help diet!

Options

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i drink sodas all the time. it has been part of my weight loss plan. i have been very successful with it
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies!

The main reason I thought of diet soda is 1) It has zero calories 2) Soda always get me very full.

I don't really like the taste, which is why I don't really drink it now, but I basically wanted something that doesn't have calories that would get me full. Doesn't have to be sweet.

I love water and drink about 4-5 bottles a day, but at night, it just doesn't keep me full, or stop me from snacking on chips :sad:

Usually soda makes me so full and I don't eat after drinking it.

All of these are great and I think I might try Lacroix or some other sparkling water.
  • herrytews
    Options
    I definitely use soda drinks, and I have lost 50 lbs. In the early stages of my diet I used club soda / fizzy water extensively, partly instead of having a beer and partly to fill me up. Now I drink a product called Sparkling Ice (available in US and Canada) because it's refreshing yet doesn't contain aspartame (it's cal and carb free).
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing...sometimes I'm just still a little hungry. A glass of almond milk usually helps me. I just have learned to try to save about 100-150 calories for nighttime--I just know myself well enough to know I'm going to want SOMETHING! :blushing:
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I definitely use soda drinks, and I have lost 50 lbs. In the early stages of my diet I used club soda / fizzy water extensively, partly instead of having a beer and partly to fill me up. Now I drink a product called Sparkling Ice (available in US and Canada) because it's refreshing yet doesn't contain aspartame (it's cal and carb free).

I will definitely look this up. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Silly. What about carbonated flavored water????
  • abbiepql
    Options
    I drank diet soda frequently when I was 455+ pounds and I drink it at frequently now - 239 pounds lighter. I think it's all in what works for you. I personally like it - it's nice to go out in a social situation and be able to enjoy a drink without it being water and to me - now - the tatse of real sugared soda is repulsive. I do try to choose the diet sodas with splenda if available, but I adore diet root beer and so I indulge whenever I want. In order to be effective and successful in this journey you must incorporate into your eating/daily life habits and routines that are sustainable - for the rest of your life - going without diet soda seems very drastic for me, and not something I would worry about in the big picture.
  • jlarson123
    Options
    The only non-chemical, all natural, diet soda that I'm aware of is called Zevia. It uses stevia and erythritol for sweeteners. Zero calories. So if you really need a soda, this is what to look for.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like sparkling water with a small amount of juice when I am craving the fizzies, but in the evening there is nothing like a nice cup of hot tea. I really like mint tea, but right now I am totally into vanilla chai. There are so many flavors to choose from!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Also, going to bed hungry is a great way to lose weight! If you're hungry when you go to bed, that means you probably succeeded on your diet that day, congrats!
    THAT is definitely the dumbest thing I've heard all day!

Oh yeah, definitely a new and controversial opinion there . . . nobody has ever recommended something like that before . . . do you live under a rock?
  • Gennacy
    Gennacy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found that I wasn't hungry at night, but still had a tendency to snack, so *and this isn't to everyone's tastes* I chewed gum, (didn't swallow- gross) it helped me kick my habbit and now i don't snack at all.
  • jennysulli
    jennysulli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They say that diet soda can make your body crave sweets and carbs but I actually have a diet rootbeer sometimes when I want something sweet before bed. It works for me. good luck! :)
  • D_Mack
    Options
    Mmmmm A glass of low fat milk before bed ! You won't find anything better IMO. Parents have given their children milk before bed for centuries. It helps one to relax and fills the belly a bit. And it's good for you.

As for anyone going the Diet Soda way, do some research on Aspartame Disease. Not sure how true it is, but it's been said that most, if not all, of the studies that show aspartame as a safe chemical were paid for by the companies that produce it. Pretty much EVERY independent study has found aspartame to be harmful to humans.

Like I said, not sure how true that is, but I'm not taking any chances and have nixed diet soda from my life. Along with anything else that contains a man made sweetener.

Just my 2 cents.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    how about crystal light or those new thingies you squeeze into the water (forgot what they're called). even though diet soda is sugar free, the acid in it is bad for your teefers :bigsmile:
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Also, going to bed hungry is a great way to lose weight! If you're hungry when you go to bed, that means you probably succeeded on your diet that day, congrats!
    THAT is definitely the dumbest thing I've heard all day!

Oh yeah, definitely a new and controversial opinion there . . . nobody has ever recommended something like that before . . . do you live under a rock?

LOL I've actually heard that before, forgot where....... something like "Hunger pains are what skinny feels like..." (ha ha!)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    No. Why would soda fill you up better than water? That doesn't really make sense. And at night, doesn't the caffeine bother you? My hubby works nights too and I don't use that as an excuse to eat. Sorry. =/ I have severe anxiety and I get panic attacks because of being alone because of something that had happened to me a few years ago, and I can't sleep from that, but I don't eat and eat and use it as an excuse. Drink water or low-cal stuff at night. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat. What matters is your daily/weekly average.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you at first!!! Try it -like you said your plan is to only do it short term at first.
    Sounds lik e its sweets you are craving so fruit would be a better idea - and fruit with alot of bulk /fiber and low cal like blackberries, raspberries. And if you save 15 -25 more calories add some cool whjp free!!:happy:
    Good Luck!
  • Southern_Belle89
    Options
    Yikes I would rethink the diet soda as a way to keep from snacking/eating at night. Water is a far better choice....good luck & hope you find something that works for you! Also try chewing a stick of gum to trick your brain.....heard that works well.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I don't drink soda. Have you read what's in it????

Read this:

http://www.oleda.com/oleda_tips/tips.asp?dept=48

I went cold turkey with soda the day I decided to embark on my health and fitness journey. It's not about losing weight. It's about being fit and healthy and maintaining this lifestyle. Diet soda might be zero calories, but take a look at the sugars AND if you are drinking a 16 oz, that is TWO servings. Multiply the sugar content by TWO and that's what you're consuming.

Soda is not worth my health....hands down.

Erica
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    I agree with a few commenters. I would drink water. It has no artificial anything or additives. I drink 4-8oz before bed since our bodies can get dehydrated a bit while sleeping and it keeps me full until morning when can rehydrate and eat breakfast. I also liked someone's comment about saving 100 calories and having popcorn. It is healthy and will also fill you until morning. Raw veggies are very low in calories too and have plenty of fiber which makes you feel full. My husband before bed often times has a glass of milk and an apple to keep him satisfied. I do not think having diet soda is going to help you. You may not consume any calories but it does not promote health. And being healthy is better than consuming less calories. Hope this helps!