Drinking soda to Help diet!

Options

Replies

• xoyasminxo
    Options
    I don't drink soda. Have you read what's in it????

Read this:

http://www.oleda.com/oleda_tips/tips.asp?dept=48

I went cold turkey with soda the day I decided to embark on my health and fitness journey. It's not about losing weight. It's about being fit and healthy and maintaining this lifestyle. Diet soda might be zero calories, but take a look at the sugars AND if you are drinking a 16 oz, that is TWO servings. Multiply the sugar content by TWO and that's what you're consuming.

Soda is not worth my health....hands down.

Erica

It is also not worth the possibility of getting diabetes. I totally agree that is is not worth my health.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Also, going to bed hungry is a great way to lose weight! If you're hungry when you go to bed, that means you probably succeeded on your diet that day, congrats!
    THAT is definitely the dumbest thing I've heard all day!

Oh yeah, definitely a new and controversial opinion there . . . nobody has ever recommended something like that before . . . do you live under a rock?
    Your reasoning skills seem to be sorely lacking. Just because you're not the first to say it, doesn't mean it's correct!
    And, no, I don't live under a rock. I live in reality. You're welcome here any time!
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda everyday. It's helped me alot. Yes, water would be the ideal substitute, but i don't care. Sometimes i want something sweet.

However, i drink soda sweetened with stevia. Stevia is all natural, and while it may cost alot more, i think it tastes better.

Aspartame turns into formaldehyde when it's metabolized which can cause brain degeneration. I don't know if you've ever met someone with a 'diet' addiction, but my neighbor is addicted to diet iced tea that's sweetened with aspartame and she's a little.. "off".

Splenda is chlorine based. The chlorine molecule can't be absorbed into the body, but why would you risk all the strange chemicals???

ANY CARBONIZED BEVERAGE CAN LEAD TO BONE PROBLEMS. That free floating carbon molecule is going to want to stabalize with something, which will most likely be Calcium. If your diet isn't high enough in Calcium, then the carbon will just take it right from your bones. This can lead to Osteoporosis. If you're going to start drinking any carbonized beverage on a regular basis, i would start taking a calcium suplement or make sure you up your calcium intake.
  • Greywolfkeeper
    Options
    Diet sodas are worse than the real deal. What they take out to make it diet , the add in chemicals to make up for what they took out - that's why they all have an after taste. So unhealthy!
  • Greywolfkeeper
    Options
    Green tea is the best - has lots of antioxidents and it helps with weight loss
  • ginbookus
    Options
    Drinking soda is bad for you, diet or not, so I wouldn't TRY to incorporate more soda. Most people try to cut down on it or eliminate it all together when trying to lose weight. Like someone else said, drink water instead, or better yet, save calories so you CAN eat at the end of the day. I have the same exact problem as you. If I use up all of my calories but I'm not going to bed for a few hours, I WILL snack and snack and be over my limit. INSTEAD I started eating dinner very late, and then having one snack before bed. The later you eat the last meal, the less hungry you'll be at bedtime.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I like a cup of tea in the evening :) Same idea as the soda without the artificial stuff. Do what you feel comfortable with though. Everybody has their own things that work for them....
    I do this. I found this tea called Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea. It's AMAZING! No calories, and it has a hint of sweetness to curb my sweet tooth, and no caffeine to keep you awake.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    And, no, I don't live under a rock. I live in reality. You're welcome here any time!

Now that's the dumbest thing I've heard all day!
  • emmagallo
    Options
    How about trying mineral water? Same carbonated and fizzy feeling without the calories and sugar. I love it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    wil stick to my flavored sparkle water thanks
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    How about having a healthy snack at night to munch on like carrot sticks or seaweed snacks, kale chips...all low in calories even if you eat a bunch of them
  • Alford96
    Options
    celestial seasonings herbal teas-the warmth helps me feel full, there is a variety of flavors, and if you need it sweet you can put honey in it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    or try this, club soda with some lime juice and a pinch of salt. 0 calories but not nasty like diet soda
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light with fiber
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I thought it made sense to link these two posts: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/743325-diet-soda

Oh, and I'm in the "too much soda/diet soda is bad for you (but I'm not sure how much is 'too much'...maybe 10, maybe 1)" camp.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i used to drink alot of diet coke and it tends to make me crave sweet stuff. when i stopped drinking pop i immediately lost about 20lbs. i used to get heartburn and had bad acid reflux, and that all disappeared shortly after too. so i would be careful if you do take this route because its not a good substitute for good ol' water :) how about crystal light? or snacking on jello or fruit?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like diet sodas because I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I'd rather drink the sugar than chemicals, but that's just me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    While I do drink diet soda, I think it's probably the bad idea and am working to eliminate it totally from my diet in favor of coffee and tea.

The fake sugars can cause some really problems with cravings and I find it's generally easier just to avoid them, certainly no more than 1 20 oz bottle a day.

As many have mentioned, water is just fine even from the tap. The only reason people these days are convinced that tap water is undrinkable is marketing campaigns by large soda companies.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Not sure if trolling or...
  • runnergirl109
    runnergirl109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    go with water ever flavored water if you have too but anyways cuz i was listening to a Jillian Michals podcast on my ipod and she said "sodas no mader if its diet or regular has chemicals that slows down your metabolism" meaning youll gain weight being your body wont burn it as fast as if you drank water or ate something to raise the the speed of the metabolism and even tea or coffee would work too if you tend to have have kidney problems get a filter option like the faucet mount or picture or the filtered water bottles and stuff plus the filtered tastes better but then why would lead taste good anyways cuz tap water has lead is it do to the piping