People telling me that I'm too thin..um I'm MAD!

Options
A little background, I'm just about 5'6 and weigh around 129/130 on a good day. I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs. I work in a doctor's office and we have free lunch delivered to us 3-4 times a week---none of which I eat.

Anyway, I wake up religiously at 5 am to get to the gym for an hour before work, then make sure to eat a nutritious breakfast, pack my lunch and snacks and then go on my merry little way. The people at work take this as me not "eating enough" because I'm always hungry and want food. Maybe I'm always hungry and want food because I'm just freakin hungry! Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?! So what if I don't eat the lunches that are delivered to us?! So what if I eat a lot of protein bars, cottage cheese, fruit, etc. I LKE that stuff!!! Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

This is just a rant, but I'm so tired of being looked at like I'm anorexic. I'm NOT. Sometimes I wish I could open my food diary up and show them. I told them one day what I ate for breakfast and lunch and they were like wow, you actually ate more than I did today. I was like yeah, you guys think I don't eat! I HAVE to eat a lot because I work out! It's just the quality of what I eat that's different than you!

Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

omgomgomg.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    congrats you work hard for it!!
    I get that a lot now, no one said anything before but now I'm getting thinner than them they tell me I shouldn't lose anymore (I'm 5'5 and 143) I know how my body feels, it's MY body =P
    All you can do is ignore them.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey, I think you're doing great. Don't be so mad, I think they mean well and they only care for you, they're really not trying to undermine you.
    Take it as a compliment and move on. :)
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If your always hungry maybe you do need to eat more - I follow calorie guidelines on this site and am far from always hungry
  • lollie1285
    Options
    I'm not always hungry, I'm just always bored at work and tend to eat out of boredom and mistake it for hunger. My work environment is a drag.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ah I get what you mean then, fair enough
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's so annoying. My mum always tells me how thin I am and its really disheartening ESP when I am well within what I should be for my weight and am trying to lose a bit for health reasons.. I think the norm is very skewed nowadays, so that people on the lower end of their weight range look very slim to those who are at the upper end or plain over weight.

OTOH if you are hungry eat more, I too am 5'6.. I am targeting 135 lbs :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I would probably say something snarky like, its better than being in the obese range on the weight scale. or, i am so sorry that you are jealous that I have a killer body and actually like myself enough to work hard to keep it that way. wow, that lady that said you were emaciated was a total *****. maybe say my doctor says I am at a healthy weight and staying there will help me to not have to be in a wheel chair when I am older unlike you. that would shut her up. im so sick of people sticking their noses into every body elses business. she needs a big dose of stfu
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's been the hardest part for me, now I just make sure I don't buy crap food, if I need a snack it's healthy because I have no other choice, unless I go shoppign with my bf, like yesterday, my house is full of choc bikkies and profiteroles... and he's not even here!
  • lollie1285
    Options
    Blah yeah. I've come to discover a lot about myself after being on MFP for over a year. I'm an emotional eater and it sucks!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Um, you only eat 1200 calories as a base.. I'd be hungry to.

Just because you want to be thin, doesn't mean you need to eat like a bird.

Up your calories and you prob. wouldn't find yourself snacking out of boredom so much.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!
    People tend to interfere when they're not needed. By the way, I'm sure the overweight people get the same crap... I know it sucks but, you know what's best for YOU. Your current weight is healthy and so is your goal, so screw those people! I get such silly comments from friends, family and even strangers for refusing fatty foods, but really, the best thing to do is rise above it and not get into those types of conversations, it's pretty futile anyway. :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm not always hungry, I'm just always bored at work and tend to eat out of boredom and mistake it for hunger. My work environment is a drag.

If your workplace is boring, that's probably why your colleagues focus on your weight. I've always found that in boring workplaces, people like to find people to gossip about. Just like you eat out of boredom, they focus on your weight out of boredom. If you find a job that is very busy and stimulating, this is a lot less likely to happen.
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tell them "just because my mouth is hungry, does not mean that my stomach is hungry" I am 5'6 and weigh 165 lbs (I have lost 31.5 lbs) I hear about it all the time. "your working out too much" "your not eating enough", usually from those who are 65 to 70 lbs overweight and can barley walk up a flight of stairs. Here is the thing, do what makes you feel good and ignore people who would knock someone who is trying to stay healthy. As far as the food delivery, if they want to eat it, more power to them. We often have food at work and we have a cafeteria and I stay away from both, choosing to pack my meals so that I eat right.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ha! I've got a colleague like this. She loves to tell me I'm getting too thin and that I need to stop losing weight (and unlike you I'm a good 5kg above the very top of a healthy weight for my height). The other day I told her that and she acted all incredulous. She said to me (and I actually laughed out loud) "But, you can't weigh more than 50kg". For those of you non-metric folk 50kg is 110lbs (I'm around 150 lbs).

I think the last time I weighed 50kg I was about 10 years old (and I wasn't a fat kid).

I actually don't mind too much although I wish she didn't feel the need to talk quite so loudly/openly about my weight. I don't think she's meaning to be rude.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ah I totally get what you are saying! Being an overweight woman myself, when I see someone like you (say a coworker or something) I don't think "omg she's too thin, she needs to eat", I carefully look at WHAT she's eating and admire it if it's healthy and she looks like a good weight for her size and age. I admire people like you and trust me, am striving to be like you! YOU DO NOT LOOK TO SKINNY TO ME!! I wish people would just shut their pie holes and leave healthy people alone... not cool man, not cool!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should stress that my colleague isn't overweight herself and never has been (think thin Asian woman, I live in Japan). She just honestly has no idea what I should weigh.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot too from my family....who are all overweight :frown:

Till yesterday :bigsmile:
    I was out with my mum and I went on one of those machines that measure body fat, weight etc...it showed my weight and I'm slim but because I do weights I look lighter than what I am... My mum was like, ' oh you're not as light as I thought ' which made me laugh coz last year I was the same size but much lighter, but I'm still same size but heavier...

That shut her up :bigsmile:
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Shut off all those unnecessary noises, cos you are doing what's necessary to keep yourself healthy and it will go a long way, esp when you grow older. So, really, feel great about yourself and continue to do what's right.
  • lollie1285
    Options
    Exactly!!! The norm IS skewed so people who are overweight look at those who are thin as being too thin when that's just not the case at all!! My grandmother is over 200 lbs and tells my sister and I every day that we're too thin. Fact of the matter is, she is just way too large, unhealthy, and out of her mind. We have to keep reminding ourselves that every time she makes a dig at us. My sister is 5'3 and 105 lbs. However, she doesn't work out at all and eats like a hog. Figures. Hahaha!

And yes, that lady does deserve a big fat helping of STFU!!! She is a nasty thing and thinks she's better than everyone else!