People telling me that I'm too thin..um I'm MAD!

Options

Replies

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Um, you only eat 1200 calories as a base.. I'd be hungry to.

Just because you want to be thin, doesn't mean you need to eat like a bird.

Up your calories and you prob. wouldn't find yourself snacking out of boredom so much.

I never actually EAT 1200 calories. I eat 14-1700 calories a day. If you look in my diary, you'd see that.
  • haylz247
    Options
    these people are just not happy with themselves that's all :)

ignore the haters! i got told i was too thin when i was in school. but i ate like a horse. always ate second helpings. sometimes thirds! :love:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Um, you only eat 1200 calories as a base.. I'd be hungry to.

Just because you want to be thin, doesn't mean you need to eat like a bird.

Up your calories and you prob. wouldn't find yourself snacking out of boredom so much.

I never actually EAT 1200 calories. I eat 14-1700 calories a day. If you look in my diary, you'd see that.

I did look.. and that 1400-1700 is with exercise calories.. but if you subtract those out, your net(IE what you've actually consumed) is 1200 or less.

You only have 7 pounds to lose.. bump it up.
  • emire31
    Options
    They've convinced themselves that their obesity is normal so by comparison your normal, healthy weight is thin, they need to believe that you're emaciated because otherwise they would have to face the extent of their own obesity. Pay no attention to their delusions, they're projecting their mental issues onto you.

You could either refuse to engage in conversation about your weight or eating habits or every time they comment on your weight, you fire back with comments about the obesity epidemic and how it's become so prevalent that most people don't even realise how fat they are. Then look them up and down and hand them an educational leaflet.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!

Actually, you are pretty close to the lowest healthy weight for your height on the BMI charts I'm looking at. I think you look beautiful though! Just ignore them, they are very likely just envious!
  • lollie1285
    Options

You could either refuse to engage in conversation about your weight or eating habits or every time they comment on your weight, you fire back with comments about the obesity epidemic and how it's become so prevalent that most people don't even realise how fat they are. Then look them up and down and hand them an educational leaflet.

This would be EPIC!
  • lollie1285
    Options
    Some of them say it because they care. Others say it because they're nasty, and that's what bothers me. The one lady at work the other day was saying stuff to me and I told her how much I weigh and i was like "130 is at the upper half of the healthy weight range for my height" and she goes "for what, an emaciated person? yeah, okay..." Umm who do you think you are, lady!!

Actually, you are pretty close to the lowest healthy weight for your height on the BMI charts I'm looking at. I think you look beautiful though! Just ignore them, they are very likely just envious!

Wow, really?! I thought it was closer to the higher range. Thank you for letting me know! And thank you for the nice compliment :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Exactly!!! The norm IS skewed so people who are overweight look at those who are thin as being too thin when that's just not the case at all!! My grandmother is over 200 lbs and tells my sister and I every day that we're too thin. Fact of the matter is, she is just way too large, unhealthy, and out of her mind. We have to keep reminding ourselves that every time she makes a dig at us. My sister is 5'3 and 105 lbs. However, she doesn't work out at all and eats like a hog. Figures. Hahaha!

And yes, that lady does deserve a big fat helping of STFU!!! She is a nasty thing and thinks she's better than everyone else!

105 pounds and 5'3 is too thin IMO--unless she's all fat. I'm 4'11 and that's the upper end of where I'd like to be but at 4 inches taller than me--i couldn't imagine her NOT being too thin. That being said, maybe people are trying to encourage you to stop where you are--maybe you look great now. i don't think that further weight loss is necessarily in your best interest.
  • Karen080776
    Options
    Believe me, those people are just jealous! I would LOVE to be told I'm too thin! Better than too fat! I'm 5'5" and weigh just over 200lb (I've lost 9lb). I'm aiming for 140lb, if I get told I'm too thin then I know I've succeeded!! Willpower is my problem! The weekend rolls around & I want to eat!!
  • lollie1285
    Options
    Exactly!!! The norm IS skewed so people who are overweight look at those who are thin as being too thin when that's just not the case at all!! My grandmother is over 200 lbs and tells my sister and I every day that we're too thin. Fact of the matter is, she is just way too large, unhealthy, and out of her mind. We have to keep reminding ourselves that every time she makes a dig at us. My sister is 5'3 and 105 lbs. However, she doesn't work out at all and eats like a hog. Figures. Hahaha!

And yes, that lady does deserve a big fat helping of STFU!!! She is a nasty thing and thinks she's better than everyone else!

105 pounds and 5'3 is too thin IMO--unless she's all fat. I'm 4'11 and that's the upper end of where I'd like to be but at 4 inches taller than me--i couldn't imagine her NOT being too thin. That being said, maybe people are trying to encourage you to stop where you are--maybe you look great now. i don't think that further weight loss is necessarily in your best interest.

Hers is just metabolism. The kid eats and eats and never gains! She's a teenager, I guess that's why. I was verrrrry thin when I was young too and ate everything in sight. Then it backfired. I keep trying to warn her.
  • lollie1285
    Options
    The weekend rolls around & I want to eat!!

I'm right there with you!!! My mom made banana chocolate chip mini muffins yesterday and I already ate four of them this morning with my breakfast. She called me on the phone and goes "you're gonna be mad but...I made muffins." Banana choco chip is my FAVORITE. I just can't NOT eat them!
  • levstein
    Options
    working in a doctor's office is an ideal place to pin up a weight/height chart try putting one in the ladies toilet where people can look at in private who knows some of them might do something about their own weight but at least it should get them off your back
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    working in a doctor's office is an ideal place to pin up a weight/height chart try putting one in the ladies toilet where people can look at in private who knows some of them might do something about their own weight but at least it should get them off your back

I LOVE this idea.

It would be a very subtle way of telling everyone what you think. Then on the way out of the bathroom hang up a sign up sheet for a "biggest loser" competition or something. haha
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Wow, really?! I thought it was closer to the higher range. Thank you for letting me know! And thank you for the nice compliment :)
    actually, the bmi chart is not the best way to gauge your health. my trainer is in the obese range on it and he does not have an ounce of fat on him. better to go by fat percentage. the more muscle you have the more you can look thin but be "heavier" on the scale. not one of my friends can believe I weigh 160 pounds, they guess more like 140. the scale is not always the best way to note your progress.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

You're welcome! Actually, I just noticed your ticker though, and if you lose another 10 lbs you would be underweight. Maybe they really do just love you and are worried about you losing too much more. There are some health risks associated with being underweight too, such as losing bone mass and messing up your reproductive hormones. I know every body is different, but just something to keep in mind in case you might be one of those people who doesn't see herself accurately.

• Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    congrats you work hard for it!!
    I get that a lot now, no one said anything before but now I'm getting thinner than them they tell me I shouldn't lose anymore (I'm 5'5 and 143) I know how my body feels, it's MY body =P
    All you can do is ignore them.
    THIS!!!!
  • hunneric
    hunneric Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Annoying as it may be to be accused of being too thin by people who may be a bit on the heavy side themselves, I don't think that sarcastic put downs are the best way either to endear yourself to the rest of the office nor probably to get them to take a long hard look at themselves and take action.

If, as Heather points out, you are already at a healthy weight and planning to go lower, it is possible that some of the comments you have received reflect a genuine concern which (being tinged with just a shade of jealousy) are carelessly phrased and which you may perceive as being more hostile than you imagine.

Returning fire by telling people that they are going to die young because of their disgusting corpulence is hardly likely to endear yourself to them - and may not be entirely appropriate if, in light of Heather's comments, you decide to review your own goals.

Just remember, as annoying as comments about being the weight you aspire to be might seem to you, comments you make about the fact that some of your co-workers are at weights that they probably don't aspire to be will hurt more. You don't retain the moral high ground by hitting your opponent harder than they can hit you.

Stick to facts. This is my goal, this is why and this is how I'm going to go about it. You work in a medical environment; people there will presumably know a bit about what is and isn't a healthy weight. Your co-workers may have different views from yours - reasonable people can disagree on the matter after all and BMI isn't the be all and end all of health (or appearance for that matter). Cutting them dead might make you feel better but it will make them feel worse and probably make them think the worse of you rather than admiring your rapier wit.

If you can turn a catty comment from some lardy co-worker into a relaxed discussion about the matter without anyone getting their feelings hurt, you might be able to persuade other people of your point of view, that some of the things they perceive as privations aren't so bad after all and they might actually want to follow your example. At a minimum you might manage to get some healthy food delivered instead of the junk. But potentially, you might get several people in your office working together to be healthier.

I absolutely guarantee that being the skinny cow who snuck the BMI chart into the ladies toilets will not stop the comments and won't change anyone's behaviour.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is a strong emotion. They just envy you for being able to eat a lot and still have a good figure.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    hunneric...has a point.

This! :D
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling.
    My mum used to smoke and since she stopped {A month or so before she found out she was pregnant with me} she put on weight and now I am trying to lose weight and be healthy and if I say to her 'I don't feel hungry, if you're cooking dinner tonight don't give me too much please' she goes mad and says I'm anorexic and have an ED. I do have BED {Binge Eating Disorder} but she can't distinguish the difference, it's so frustrating, I really feel for you and at least you have a great community here who don't judge you like that :D.