I want your "are you pregnant?" stories

Options

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    One of the homeless guys that hangs around my hood wears a dress and stuffs a ball or balloon in there. I asked him if he was prego the other day. He got a huge smile on his face. It was either the question or the $5 bill I gave him.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I've never been asked luckily. I think it's because I carry most of my weight below my waist.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Stupid empire waist shirt- "Is that a baby under there?" from my boss' exwife. My response "Nope, just fat"

At a massage place- "Im going to need you to fill out the prenatal form (or whatever pregnancy info)". Blank stare- "Im not pregnant."

Different massage place- Discussing with my mom and best friend about who was going to do what service (we had 3 things booked and were debating about who was going to do what). I was telling my mom "I dont want the massage, I think I want the facial." The clerk butted in and said "But we do offer a prenatal massage". Blank stare again- "Im not pregnant." I was kinda surprised that she said anything but I didnt miss a beat, just kept on talking with my mom.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My mom asks me this often. Pretty sure she's just mean.
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    Back when I was 200 lbs I was asked this about 5 times... I tend to carry my weight around my belly, so in all honesty, it sorta did look like I was pregnant... it just hurts to be asked that when you're not. I just wish people would keep their mouths shut unless the person brings it up...

2 of my worst stories...

1 was when I was 16 getting my license... I got in the car with the officer who was supposed to have me drive around the neighborhood and then tell me if i passed. at the end of the test when i parked, she says "so when are you due?" i was like "ummm i'm not... due...." and she looked all uncomfortable and was like "ohhhh i thought i heard from someone that you were pregnant... i'm sorry..." but she had no idea who i was, i'd never met her in my life, so she was just trying to save herself.

another bad time (this was literally like a week before i said to myself, enough is enough, get rid of this weight) i was working at Payless and an older man came in and when i was ringing him up he says "oh!!! ok ok, i'm really good at this... it's a boy isn't it?" i just looked at him... horrified... and said, "ohh... um.... i'm not... pregnant....." and he was just like "ohhh i'm sorry" and left.

talk about mortifying. those were terrible days. i cried a lot.
  • llrbaker
    llrbaker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've heard, "Congratulations! When are you due?!" for most of my adult life since I've always been obese and looked the part. However, the BEST story is the most recent one when someone said the same thing, and I looked at her with a straight face and said, "My baby is 3 months old" (I had my first baby girl in June of this year). Not to mention that I've lost ALL of the baby weight and then some. She just looked at me in shock after I said what I said (*insert awkward silence here), and replied with "oh". She then walked away. I couldn't help but to get a good chuckle out of it;)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    that was the comment to me that got me started on this journey :)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It hasn't happend to me but here's my story....

I was about 7 or so months pregnant with my second daughter and my then 3 year old daughter and I were walking through a store. There was a rather large lady browsing through the kids clothes section and my daughter blurted out, "hey she has a baby in her belly too". I could clearly tell this woman was not pregnant, but just overweight. I apologized and quickly went the other way. That was so embarrassing!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I was at the grocery store with my newborn, who was approximately two weeks old, a lady in line asked me why I got pregnant so fast with my second. Ummm, yeah. Ok.

Okay, yeah - why are people so dumb? Do they honestly think every woman bounces back to her pre-pregnancy shape five minutes after popping out the kid? Seriously...
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ALL THE TIME especially this last week because I've been dizzy alot and getting sick Someone actually posted on my facebook wall "are your pregnant" I was mortified.
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Cafeteria worker at my job - "You're eating for two, right?"
    Man on train: "When are you due?"

and endless others. I get this question alot because I'm an apple and ONLY carry weight in my tummy (my arms, face and legs are thin thin thin...). I used to get really really upset at this, but have tried to accept that this is my body shape and just ignore it. But honestly, WHO SAYS THIS to women? It's basically the WORST thing you can say. Never mention pregnancy unless the person says their pregnant. Otherwise you're going to ruin someone's day!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was standing in the recieving line at my grandmother's funeral, next to my dad. A lady (whom I've known forever), walked up to me and put her hand on my stomach and asked when I was due. I wasn't exactly in the mood to humor her, so I gave her a dirty look and said "I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat." Luckily no one but my dad heard the exchange. I was so embarrassed (and pissed off).
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to be a manager at a local McDonalds. we would have our 'regular' daily customers come thru everyday and order. This one morning, i had opened the store and it was only like 7am, and it was winter so everytime we opened the drive thru windows it would be FREEZING!

So anyway, this guy who is a dentist came thru like usual and ordered his coffee. i went to hand it to him, and as i was about to say 'have a good day, see ya tomorrow'. he stopped me and said 'when are you due?". at first, i didnt really hear what he said, it was windy and freezing outside so i was just trying to shut the window! i blurted out "what?!" and again he said "when are you due?!" i looked at him with gigantic eyes and said 'I AM NOT PREGNANT!" and the wind and cold weather from outside were making my eyes really watery by now, and he just said "oh im so sorry" and drove away.

he didnt come back for well over 6 months. and lets just say from then on it was always SO awkward. F!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ive been told one time that I looked like I was pregnant, it was my senior year in highschool...other than that even when i WAS pregnant I didnt look it...just looked fat. BLAH.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I posted about this a few weeks back. Had almost lost 3 tone and went to pick my daughter up from nursery and one of the workers there asked me if I was expecting again.

I think my look of shock surprised her and I felt awful especially as I had been doing so well.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a few times over the years, but the worst was when my grandma asked & when I said no she responded "Just fat, huh?" That was kinda the last straw in our relationship, and we rarely spoke after that incident.

I slipped up and asked someone a while back. When she said no I was absolutely mortified. It was a professional colleague, and I still work with her today. Every single time I talk to her I think about that, and my face turns red.

I don't know which is worse...being the offended or the offender. :sad:
    Yeah that is the only thing that has stopped me from chatting it up with a pregnant woman (or at least I think they are). LOL...

I've been asked but I'm just like, nah I'm just fat.
  • Potts1024
    Potts1024 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been asked. I was at a bar, of all places, because that is where pregnant women hang out?? LOL.. It was very hurtful, but I responded pretty quickly with the whole no baby, just me, response. I avoid the empire waisted/baby=doll style clothing for this very reason. My weight is very much in my mid-section and it doesn't take much to make me look pregnant. I know people don't mean harm by it, but it still hurts deeply when they go there :(
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    Cause when I was smaller, around 170, I got that question a couple of times. Then I gained 80 pounds and haven't gotten that question at all, until I lose 20 pounds, and a couple of days ago when it was someone I hadn't seen in a few years, and she was "just curious if I was pregnant" lol

I want to hear some of your stories so it'll make me feel better that I'm not the only one :P

Lol. Not the only one. I was meeting with one of the guys in the financial literacy program I run, and he asked me when the "happy event" was. I had NO IDEA what he was talking about (I was thinking... lunch? in about twenty minutes...) Nope, he wanted to know when I was due. To his credit he was appropriately mortified when I laughed and said that that happy event was 7 years previously, when my DD was born...

Yah. I burned that shirt when I got home. lol.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    did it on a picnic table while camping....9 months later....sweetest baby girl ever! Oh wait....I misunderstood :glasses:
  • rexzmumu
    rexzmumu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was a Sr. in highschool at the store an old woman said "When are you due honey?" ... bla - i just told her i wasnt