UK clothing shops

124»

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Next and GAP have been fairly good for me but I find M&S a bit on the big side - but that's across their range so I know to try a size smaller in most things there.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    I just find places irritating that cane make up their mind! You get to know which shops come up small and which big (looking at you m&s!) but when places arent consistent just gggrrr!
    2 identical skirts from dorothy perkins same size, 1 fits perfectly the other is tiny!!
    x
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Ladies (and boyfriends)- beware of River Island!

My GF was on the hunt for a particular style/cut combination (acid wash/ultra pale in bootcut) of jeans and was complaining that she couldn't find them anywhere.

Attempting to be the dutiful boyfriend - I kept an eye out whilst shopping and actually found them in RI, so picked up a pair in Size 12 (her normal size).

Got home and proudly presented them like a cat with a half-dead mouse... and they wouldn't even get past her thighs - from her reaction you'd think I was caught chatting-up a random stranger!

I scuttle back to RI and explain the situation to the sales assistant (who thinks it's hilarious and tells me I've just made her day!) and swap for a 14.

The 14 are no better! By now I might as well as been caught in bed with her sister!

Ultimately the 14s go back and I get a refund and vow never to bother again :ohwell:
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    I love River Island, I think their sizes are generally accurate.

WAAAAAAH! (See above) :wink:
  • Elvisfan4life
    Elvisfan4life Posts: 22 Member
    good idea on having your old jeans out sandira

i think we all have an old pair of jeans we dont want to part with. my faves are an old pair from primark, when primark did nice stuff! they are a slim size 14, oh to get back into them again would be amazeballs !!

I cal these my TOT trousers of truth .... And the aim is always to fir back into them
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    I have never had a problem with H&M, but I agree that Next is always true to size and so is M&S. xx

Looks like I will also have to check out M&S. The only things I have bought there so far are knickers, bra and pumps. I just love M&S underwear!

Snap! I love M&S underwear! xx
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Everywhere is different. I have such a hard time with my clothing because of my small waist, and skinny legs, but a biggish bum and wide hips. Heck, I bought a pair of moisture control leggings, size 8 and they HUNG off of me from Sainsbury's. By the way, I am a size 10, going on size 8.

When I was a size 12, I found that I had to buy size 16 from H&M. Now I can fit nicely into their size 8's/10's. Republic I found I had to buy a few sizes smaller, even now; Next, usually right size or one smaller; Primark.. size 6's hang off of me. Apart from that, I think best would probably be M&S. I haven't tried any clothes on in a long time, but I am due a new wardrobe. UK sizes suck.

EDIT: Topshop are fairly spot on! But supermarkets I find are too big!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member

My GF was on the hunt for a particular style/cut combination (acid wash/ultra pale in bootcut) of jeans and was complaining that she couldn't find them anywhere.

Attempting to be the dutiful boyfriend - I kept an eye out whilst shopping and actually found them in RI, so picked up a pair in Size 12 (her normal size).

Got home and proudly presented them like a cat with a half-dead mouse... and they wouldn't even get past her thighs - from her reaction you'd think I was caught chatting-up a random stranger!

I scuttle back to RI and explain the situation to the sales assistant (who thinks it's hilarious and tells me I've just made her day!) and swap for a 14.

The 14 are no better! By now I might as well as been caught in bed with her sister!

Ultimately the 14s go back and I get a refund and vow never to bother again :ohwell:

:laugh:

I can't recall ever buying anything in riverisland. Everything just looks so "young" in my opinion.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I was trying on a dress in Sainsbury's (its OK, it had Gok Wan's name on it:laugh: ) with a "control" lining - my hubs though it would look nice. The 16 was HUGE - just hung straight up and down, no curviness at all. The 14 was so tight I looked like an overstuffed sausage (so no change there......) and nearly got stuck inside it.

I like to buy several sizes onine with free retruns and send back what doesn't fit. (M&S and Boden are bes for hour-glass, but even then I have problems with waist measurements sometimes - if it fits then the bum is tight:frown: .)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member

Hahahaha it was the thought that counts, though I'm sure your girlfriend didn't see it that way haha.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member

This is so funny! And I take your warning about River Island.

I have an aunt who sends me Christmas presents of clothes are that are flatteringly much too small. They are always M&S, so they are easy to change for the correct size, but I appreciate that she doesn't try to estimate my size and possibly OVER-estimate - heaven forbid!

Anyway, jeans are odd. Even when I was much slimmer I found them very difficult to fit - if you have a curvier shape, you have to buy them HUGE in the waist to get them round your hips.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    If you have a small waist compared to hips (mine are 28 and 39.5 for example) I would recommend the Levi's curve range. I'm in a size 28 and they fit very well, whereas if I had to get jeans that fitted my bum, I'd be a 14 and the waist would be huge.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    If you have a small waist compared to hips (mine are 28 and 39.5 for example) I would recommend the Levi's curve range. I'm in a size 28 and they fit very well, whereas if I had to get jeans that fitted my bum, I'd be a 14 and the waist would be huge.

I will check them out. I am 27.5 waist and 39.5 hip and struggle with jeans as like I said before, I hate having to wear a belt with jeans.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    tbh i think there should be a national resizing of all clothing to reflect the standard sizing of today and not the bloody 1950's! i love going to the usa and buying their clothing.lol

The sizes have increased dramatically since the 50's.....vanity sizing is giving people an excuse to be bigger, that's just plain wrong, why kid yourself?!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I love River Island, I think their sizes are generally accurate.

WAAAAAAH! (See above) :wink:

Lol at least you tried!