Am I the only one without a smartphone?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    nope, had one and went back to dumb phone... didn't feel like paying extra when I hardly used it! very seldom am I in need of something when I don't have wifi and another device to use.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I had a galaxy phone for a while but gave it up and had to go back to my old flip phone, which now needs to be replace as the charging port no longer works. I am watching a used samsung intensity on ebay and am considering buying it. All I need is a cheap functioning phone that I can use until my contract with Verizon expires next May, then I am going to look for a cheap used unlocked smartphone that I can use on a less expensive plan.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone. My high school daughter does not have a smart phone. (bwah hahaha)
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone. My high school daughter does not have a smart phone. (bwah hahaha)

Neither does mine! She has not asked for one yet though. She has Aspergers (High functioning autism)and I guess she does not yet see the need for her own cell phone. I do have plans to buy a tracfone for her to use when I finally get her approved for metrolift (public transport for the disabled in our city). She loves my ipod touch though and put one for herself on layaway online.
  • Valleydachs
    Options
    Are you kidding? I don't have a cell phone....period. Never have. Really not interested in getting one. Still have the ol' land line but at least it's not a party line... LOL.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I only have a pay-as-you go phone and of course a home phone as well.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I justified getting my first smart phone 2 years ago because I'm a web developer, and it made it easier to check my mobile applications.

...Then I got hooked on having it, and my life revolves around the damn thing. It's my phone, my alarm clock, my date planner, GPS and entertainment.

And aside from MFP (which I actually prefer to use on my phone because of the barcode scanner), I've found a few really useful fitness apps like a heart rate monitor.
  • TiffanysWorld
    Options

I had a galaxy phone for a while but gave it up and had to go back to my old flip phone, which now needs to be replace as the charging port no longer works. I am watching a used samsung intensity on ebay and am considering buying it. All I need is a cheap functioning phone that I can use until my contract with Verizon expires next May, then I am going to look for a cheap used unlocked smartphone that I can use on a less expensive plan.

I LOVE it. But my contract ends in Dec so my mom wants to go with stright talk.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My smart phone wasn't terribly expensive, $150 for the actual phone and no contract $35/month ”plan” thru Virgin Mobile. The coverage the further east out of town I go sucks but I rarely leave town so it's not a big deal. We have no landline, no television and no internet so my phone is EVERYTHING rolled into one. I have unlimited internet, text and more than enough talk time. Before this I had an LG Octane and paid over $70/month to Verizon for *jack squat* so this has been a VAST improvement.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    They seem like a waste of money to me. I use my phone to text and call people. As far as I'm aware, any mobile phone can do that. ^__^
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone. Or a dumb phone. Any kind of cellphone. I'm 26 and everyone thinks it's unheard of to not have a phone but as a kid I grew up with the phone attached to the wall (a ROTARY phone! And a party line we shared with another guy across the way I guess) and I guess I just haven't jumped onto this trend of thinking we're all so important we need to be contactable 24/7. Unless you're a doctor or something I really don't see the need. And I don't think it's healthy. People are stressed out about work and stuff because they can't turn it off. It's constant bombardment. I'm always at home or work. There are phones there. If I'm not there I'm at the gym. I don't want to talk to you then. And if I'm out shopping or something the odd time if you honestly can't wait until I get home well then I'd say you need to take a chill pill. And that's MY rant. I kept it short lol

A few people in my life who wouldn't buy a cell phone (and could afford one, if only a little prepaid cell for emergencies) used to protest that it wasn't inconveniencing anyone. That's simply not true.

It's very frustrating to do things with someone who has no cell phone. If you've ever been unable to find someone in a crowded place, had a change of plans, needed to reach someone immediately or send them a photo, a cell phone is indispensable.

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. You don't have answer every call or text.

Some of us just cannot budget those into our lives. Friends and family should understand that. Preplanning gettogethers would prevent confusion. As for sending pictures email works great. Everyone I know has email.
  • bahlquist
    Options
    I still got a flip no smart phone for me
    the smart phones have some cool aps
    but I would rather save the money in the bank
    besides even here in Maine there are a lot
    of hot spots I can use my I pod wi-fii
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm one of the only people on the damn planet without a smartphone. I know it's convenient and all, but I can't afford one of them. Everybody, and I mean everybody has one of them. And what's worse, my cell phone company is all but forcing us to get them (if we want a cell phone). The regular phones used to be somewhat useful..now they're worthless. I can't afford $80/month for even the cheapest data plan...I have no idea how some people afford them along with mortgage, student loans, car loans, taxes, insurance, food, gas ect...

that's my rant for the day..

Try Boost or Metro PCS, they have affordable plans and have a few smart phones to choose from, that's if you want a smart phone I think it's like $45 a month not sure.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    They seem like a waste of money to me. I use my phone to text and call people. As far as I'm aware, any mobile phone can do that. ^__^

I have a dumb cell phone. If you need to do something like look up directions or locations it's better to have a smart phone. I print out the directions at home, but on the street there's always something I forgot. I use an app called Evernote, on which I store everything and it would be great to access it from my phone.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone. Or a dumb phone. Any kind of cellphone. I'm 26 and everyone thinks it's unheard of to not have a phone but as a kid I grew up with the phone attached to the wall (a ROTARY phone! And a party line we shared with another guy across the way I guess) and I guess I just haven't jumped onto this trend of thinking we're all so important we need to be contactable 24/7. Unless you're a doctor or something I really don't see the need. And I don't think it's healthy. People are stressed out about work and stuff because they can't turn it off. It's constant bombardment. I'm always at home or work. There are phones there. If I'm not there I'm at the gym. I don't want to talk to you then. And if I'm out shopping or something the odd time if you honestly can't wait until I get home well then I'd say you need to take a chill pill. And that's MY rant. I kept it short lol

A few people in my life who wouldn't buy a cell phone (and could afford one, if only a little prepaid cell for emergencies) used to protest that it wasn't inconveniencing anyone. That's simply not true.

It's very frustrating to do things with someone who has no cell phone. If you've ever been unable to find someone in a crowded place, had a change of plans, needed to reach someone immediately or send them a photo, a cell phone is indispensable.

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. You don't have answer every call or text.

Some of us just cannot budget those into our lives. Friends and family should understand that. Preplanning gettogethers would prevent confusion. As for sending pictures email works great. Everyone I know has email.

Everyone should at least have a little disposable cell phone for emergencies. You can get one for $25. The best laid plans gang aft aglay and having a cell phone, even the dumbest of the dumb, is miraculous.

In my life, the people who put up the biggest resistance are usually people who can afford a phone. They have no problem with wasting MY time, however.

There are programs for low-income and older people to get phones so they can make emergency calls.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i don't have one.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Not all data plans are $80. Go to a low cost carrier (Cricket or some prepaid) and see what's available.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Nope, you aren't the only one without a smart phone. I have an LG Chocolate Touch that is starting to get flaky. My husband had one as well and his did the same "hey, I didn't touch THAT SPOT!" thing mine is doing. He went over to the DARK SIDE of owning a smart phone and loves his windows based phone. I only want to use my phone to talk and as a day planner. I don't need a "smart phone". So, you can consider me a sister in technology. :-)