How do you guys consistently track you food?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If I'm out, I just write it in my phone. Got an Excel spreadsheet. Copy it across (manually) at the end of the day.
  • rladd6421
    Options
    i have the app on my phone and i just log when i eat, it's pretty much become second nature.
  • Carovnik
    Options
    When I started using MFP, I got myself into the habit of sitting down for a few minutes each morning to spend some time planning my meals for the day. Of course, this doesn't mean that I stick to what I've put down rigidly. If I deviate from the plan I'll add or delete things on the fly using the Android app during the day.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How do you guys consistently track you food? I mean seriously? I always forget to write down my food and then I forget what I ate by the end of the day. How do you stay motivated to track your diet?
    I hardly never close MFP except when I shut down my laptop. It is also on my phone. I have an outlook daily reminder that pops up EVERYDAY at 1:45 pm to track my food just in case I have been in meetings or traveling. I know your pain b/c I had the hardiest time tracking my food for the 1st year. But I decided if I wanted to make a change, I had to MAKE CHANGES. So I set reminders and my MFPs helped remind me too LOL

Edited - I DO NOT PRE-PLAN my meals. I travel way too much for that. I just try to make smart decisions.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    PRE-LOGGING!
    I tried MFP waaay back in Feb and was only updating at the end of the day. It just didnt work for me because the sneaky cookie/cupcake/bag of crisps would always escape my memory and the log so really I was wasting my time. Its easier to pre-plan because then you know what you can eat and when without constantly thinking of calorie content. Pre-logging also helps me get the macros under control so as well as eating a better diet Im getting the balance right.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've got the app on my phone so just log as I go. Being a woman with a handbag that contains everything I may ever possible need maybe at some point, I also have a notepad with me at all times, so if I can't log in I make a note and log it later.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods each day during the week for breakfast and lunch so I log in advance. The rest of it I log it as I eat it using the phone app.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I log as I go... or pre log for the day when I have a second. If I have absolutely NO time to log, it keeps me from eating too much or snacking mindlessly because I want to be able to remember everything I ate when I dogt a chance to log. Also, I have the app on my phone which I think makes a big difference. I can log lunch while I'm sitting in the car waiting for the light to turn green...
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i use the app on my phone. I love the fact u can scan barcodes to add things to your diary. Its so so quick and easy.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    phone app. i check calorie count before ordering when I'm out..... it's been invaluable
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I almost always plan my day's food out a day or two in advance. It helps me stick to it and know how many calories I have for wiggle room.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Pre plan... Do everything the night before and stick to it! X
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to plan in advance during the week and log it in the morning, I would be rubbish at keeping to my calories if I didnt
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    Often I plan my meals out the night before. I'm a student, so I take most of my food to school. Dinner is how ever many calories I have left. I have the app on my phone, so I can edit throughout the day and while I'm cooking.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i pre-log all my food the night before. i usually pack my breakfast and lunch and snacks, and i know what i'm going to have for dinner too.

and i always over estimate my foods, because i usually take off something. so when i pre-log, i don't have a problem going a couple of hundred calories over goal.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have the app on my blackberry, and my playbook, tab pinned on google chrome on work pc and my laptop, can't really escape it so it reminds me to log everything. I plan my days and take food with me to work, the bakery is just round the corner so best NOT to risk temptation!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    It's always the first thought I have when I eat something
    Sometimes I pre - log if I know what I'll be eating
    The phone app is a HUGE help (the scanner is the greatest thing ever!)
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the phone app for this site so I just throw whatever I eat after I've eaten, it's nice and quick.

What's nice with the phone app (or later iPad app) is that I can scan the bar code of the food and get the data instantly right into MFP.
    I log everything as I eat it usually.
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I log after I eat or plan what I'm going to eat for the day, log it in and stick to it. I also keep track of it with my phone app.
  • LexRaven
    LexRaven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat. Having the phone app helps, alot.