1500 calories for a PIECE of cake?

Options
I know the whole supersize nation thing but I'm still in shock.

I drummed and danced for 90 minutes in the cold at an Alzheimer's walk and then went out for lunch with some buddies. All fine until we ordered dessert. The carrot cake was obviously fattening but I split one piece with two other people, figuring the exercise made up for it.

Looked it up to log it later and 1510 calories/serving!!!!!

Thank goodness I split it with friends!

Exercising, watching everything else, and that drumming all let me sneak under my net but OH MY WORD! No wonder its so easy to gain weight.

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's crazy, isn't it? But I constantly see around here people talking about "oh, it takes 3500 calories to put on a pound" as if that's hard. I could easily put on a pound a day if I set my mind to it -- i.e. eating a piece of carrot cake like yours, getting some crepes at IHOP, eating half a pizza, and a burger and fries. BAM! The calories in foods at restaurants are really absurd.
  • tendumom
    tendumom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy??

I regained weight this summer. My husband had started buying muffins at the supermarket bakery. I often had half a muffin for breakfast this summer, sometimes a whole muffin. Found out this week that they are 600 calories per muffin!!! No more muffins for me unless I make them myself.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    People love muffins because they are so moist and light but what makes them so also makes them 700 Calories each!
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's even worse when you find out your SALAD had umpteen million calories. At least you got cake. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake always seems to be the highest. I don't know what the hell they put in to make it so calorific. Maybe they just mold it out of the lard and spray paint it orangey.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's even worse when you find out your SALAD had umpteen million calories. At least you got cake. :)

Exactly! This is the biggest food tragedy. I now stay away from the salads when I good out and eat. Heck, if I'm going to eat 1000+ calories in a meal, I want something good to show for it!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

true... I actually eat fewer salads now because I go for the satisfaction to calorie ratio.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow for a slice that is crazy eww.. Lol not literally eww. im sure it was good but that much calories in it eww. and Yes thats exactly the kind of stuff people gain weight on thats why its so easy lol . but before you slip that down Just remember how hard it is to get the weight off once you get it on lol.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Restaurant desserts are the worst. One of my favorites is a cookie that rings up at about 900 calories. For a cookie. Granted, it's a big, oooooey, gooooooey cookie that is more like a chocolate chip brownie than a cookie. But still! A cookie the size of the palm of my hand should not be that high in calories.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why it's really not a good idea to eat out very much if one cares about both one's health and calories. What people say above illustrates why it is SO-O easy to have 1500 calories before one even knows it. Restaurants now are notorious for packing in the sugar, salt and fat in everything and don't even get me started on portion sizes. At some places, even splitting something between 2 people, one is still getting too much. Unfortunately, a number of people have gotten into eating the same way at home.
    An interesting case in point. note the difference in the sizes of plates, bowls and cups from the 1950s and 60's vs. what one can buy now. Almost all the new ones one can buy now are much larger. And one will tend to fill up that big plate, bowl or cup, thereby serving oneself at least 2-3 times a correct serving of something.
    As far as what my husband and I do personally when we eat out, is usually just order appetizers that are reasonably simple, and split other things. With the salad issue, always ordering the dressing on the side, if at all, or just having the waiter bring some lemon slices and avocado - MUCH better than some chemically-laced dressing that has a bunch of sugar and fillers in it. And being careful of any denser foods that are in the salad too. Too much cheese or meat isn't good or mayonnaise, etc. But we're pretty selective of where we eat too, where those options are available, like inexpensive ethnic restaurants of the type in internationally-oriented cities. Usually there's something on the menu that fits for that meal out. But the usual chain restaurants in particular are a REAL disaster. Just some thoughts here!
  • kristineevans
    kristineevans Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow bet it was nice though! :-)
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I know it certainly is crazy??
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    That must've been a huge slice of cake!

Costa (a UK coffee shop) has all the calories on display by the counter, and they have carrot cake, It says it has about 615 calories per slice, and I thought that was a lot. Muffins there are about 450 calories. I guess in the UK we have smaller portion sizes than in the US.

I'm sure if you make cakes yourself they have less calories.

I prefer not to get cakes/dessert out.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy??

I regained weight this summer. My husband had started buying muffins at the supermarket bakery. I often had half a muffin for breakfast this summer, sometimes a whole muffin. Found out this week that they are 600 calories per muffin!!! No more muffins for me unless I make them myself.

crazy right?
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake always seems to be the highest. I don't know what the hell they put in to make it so calorific. Maybe they just mold it out of the lard and spray paint it orangey.

nuts, oil, sweetened shredded coconut, sour cream
    frosting: cream cheese, butter
    all high calorie, i use all those things in my carrot cake
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Exactly! This is the biggest food tragedy. I now stay away from the salads when I good out and eat. Heck, if I'm going to eat 1000+ calories in a meal, I want something good to show for it!
    Its not the salad itself,its all the dressing and croutons they put on,. plain olf salad leaves are nothing much at all.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    Isn't it crazy??

crazy right?
    hhehe people dont realise how many hidden cals are in cakes. I make my own sometimes and there quite low until i add the buttercream on top , then that doubles them usually to around 400 cals each or more. Home made brownies are about the same or worse ,depending on how much chocolate I put in. I know know that in the uk, most peices of cake are around 500 cals, carrot cake is higher ofcourse, its all the oil they out in it. I try and go for cheesecake and leave the base alone, at least the cheesecake is protein mostly and not just sugar and fat.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i remember a friend of mine saying she wanted to order a piece of carrot cake because "it's so healthy". dafuq.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    This is precisely why it's really not a good idea to eat out very much if one cares about both one's health and calories. What people say above illustrates why it is SO-O easy to have 1500 calories before one even knows it. Restaurants now are notorious for packing in the sugar, salt and fat in everything and don't even get me started on portion sizes. At some places, even splitting something between 2 people, one is still getting too much. Unfortunately, a number of people have gotten into eating the same way at home.
    An interesting case in point. note the difference in the sizes of plates, bowls and cups from the 1950s and 60's vs. what one can buy now. Almost all the new ones one can buy now are much larger. And one will tend to fill up that big plate, bowl or cup, thereby serving oneself at least 2-3 times a correct serving of something.
    As far as what my husband and I do personally when we eat out, is usually just order appetizers that are reasonably simple, and split other things. With the salad issue, always ordering the dressing on the side, if at all, or just having the waiter bring some lemon slices and avocado - MUCH better than some chemically-laced dressing that has a bunch of sugar and fillers in it. And being careful of any denser foods that are in the salad too. Too much cheese or meat isn't good or mayonnaise, etc. But we're pretty selective of where we eat too, where those options are available, like inexpensive ethnic restaurants of the type in internationally-oriented cities. Usually there's something on the menu that fits for that meal out. But the usual chain restaurants in particular are a REAL disaster. Just some thoughts here!
    [/quote
    lol your right, eating out is my downfall and i love it. But its very hard here in the uk to know what your eating, very few places have any info about there foods at all, and the some that do shock me alot.We love to go to florida and we eat out all the time there, and im assuming i will take in about 5000 cals per day there, and thats very easy to do.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    i remember a friend of mine saying she wanted to order a piece of carrot cake because "it's so healthy". dafuq.
    lol actually one of the worst to have .