1500 calories for a PIECE of cake?

Options

Replies

• beckssmith70
    Options
    My sister is a cake baker and makes a carrot cake TO DIE FOR!
    I said to her about making a skinny licious range which she won't do, personally I think she is missing a trick there, but get this she says to me her carrot cake is low fat because of all the carrots and pineapple she uses! She fails to mention all the butter, oil, cream cheese and castor sugar! It is absolutely loaded!

I think that all foods in restaurants should have a calorie content next to it, some do but not enough, I am sure it will make some think twice about what they put in their mouths, and also bar drinks, these young binge drinking girls that get plastered and into trouble on a weekend will think twice if they realise just how much calories they are drinking on their nights out.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Wow, in one slice??? That is crazy!
  • farahsaleem
    farahsaleem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why it's really not a good idea to eat out very much if one cares about both one's health and calories. What people say above illustrates why it is SO-O easy to have 1500 calories before one even knows it. Restaurants now are notorious for packing in the sugar, salt and fat in everything and don't even get me started on portion sizes. At some places, even splitting something between 2 people, one is still getting too much. Unfortunately, a number of people have gotten into eating the same way at home.
    An interesting case in point. note the difference in the sizes of plates, bowls and cups from the 1950s and 60's vs. what one can buy now. Almost all the new ones one can buy now are much larger. And one will tend to fill up that big plate, bowl or cup, thereby serving oneself at least 2-3 times a correct serving of something.
    As far as what my husband and I do personally when we eat out, is usually just order appetizers that are reasonably simple, and split other things. With the salad issue, always ordering the dressing on the side, if at all, or just having the waiter bring some lemon slices and avocado - MUCH better than some chemically-laced dressing that has a bunch of sugar and fillers in it. And being careful of any denser foods that are in the salad too. Too much cheese or meat isn't good or mayonnaise, etc. But we're pretty selective of where we eat too, where those options are available, like inexpensive ethnic restaurants of the type in internationally-oriented cities. Usually there's something on the menu that fits for that meal out. But the usual chain restaurants in particular are a REAL disaster. Just some thoughts here!

i agree
  • queensturg
    Options
    It is crazy just how much the calories can add up, even from things you know are going to be high-cal, but you never guess just how much till you start paying attention. One night a few weeks ago, my husband ordered Dominos pizza, and just the half of one that I had was over 1000 calories. Once I realized that I was glad that I didn't have a whole pizza to myself. I guess I should've realized though, pizza isn't exactly skinny food of course.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid homebaker and have run a lot of my recipes through the recipe function. It's a tragedy! Top tips at home - minimum halve the portion size, cut into portions straight away and freeze individually. Most cakes can be frozen successfully. Swap vegetable oil for butter - same calories but massive difference in saturated fat. Or half oil and half fat free greek yoghurt, big calorie difference. If you're not averse to sweetners bake with Spenda or half splenda/sugar, but not truvia - leaves a distinct bitter aftertaste. If out - don't ever eat a pastry or biscuit base, and scrape off all icings where possible. Additionally halve the portion and save the rest for another day, give it to the kids/partner/friend, or even just leave it.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I bought some (what looked like) single serving chocolate cakes yesterday at the store. Turns out the label says there are two servings, each being about 300 calories. Most people would eat the whole thing since it looks like it's made for just one person. Quite a nasty shock when they realize they just ate 600 calories!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid homebaker and have run a lot of my recipes through the recipe function. It's a tragedy! Top tips at home - minimum halve the portion size, cut into portions straight away and freeze individually. Most cakes can be frozen successfully. Swap vegetable oil for butter - same calories but massive difference in saturated fat. Or half oil and half fat free greek yoghurt, big calorie difference. If you're not averse to sweetners bake with Spenda or half splenda/sugar, but not truvia - leaves a distinct bitter aftertaste. If out - don't ever eat a pastry or biscuit base, and scrape off all icings where possible. Additionally halve the portion and save the rest for another day, give it to the kids/partner/friend, or even just leave it.

Funny but I do this, i never eat the pastry on anything, unless its a actual danish, But say it it was a strawberry tart, apple pie etc, I leave the pastry off all the time, and if i go to a buffet and there is cake, i eat the middle and the top and thats it, i leave the actual cake lol, probs not the best part to eat but it cuts down on the cals going in lol.I havent tried baking with the spenda types etc yet, as not sure how much you would actually need to add instead of normal sugar. I eat atkins bars and i can sometimes taste that aftertaste of the sweetener they use.
  • aletagob
    Options
    I'm glad I read your post--it really got my attention! I absolutely adore carrot cake, and there is a restaurant in town that makes it from scratch instead of buying it off a truck. Heaven! But after reading your message, I must no longer consider it angel's food but rather devil's food!
  • laurensgettingfit
    Options
    here in NSW Australia they made a law that larger chains ("standard food outlets") had to display the kj content of food as well as a statement of what the average daily intake is for an adult.. It's silly that its not Australia wide as I live on the border and literally am in the next state in 10 minutes. Bu it really helps me to choose what I'm going to eat sometimes what appears healthy say a fruit smoothie, is higher in calories than if I ate an actual meal. The link to the study they did of consumers when evaluating the law change said that 79% of people still underestimated how many calories they were eating ...but it also said in the study that most people didn't understand how to read kilojoules and what it meant and how many kilojoules they were supposed to eat even though the average adult intake is on the menu board.... no wonder us Aussies are getting so huge!!
  • laurensgettingfit
    Options
    I bought some (what looked like) single serving chocolate cakes yesterday at the store. Turns out the label says there are two servings, each being about 300 calories. Most people would eat the whole thing since it looks like it's made for just one person. Quite a nasty shock when they realize they just ate 600 calories!

that happens to me all the time and I realise AFTER I eat the whole thing that it was 2 serves... stupid labelling. Then I have to spend an hour on the exercise bike to make up for it.
  • floydfreeman911
    Options
    lol too true
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "hehe people dont realise how many hidden cals are in cakes. I make my own sometimes and there quite low until i add the buttercream on top , then that doubles them usually to around 400 cals each or more. Home made brownies are about the same or worse ,depending on how much chocolate I put in. I know know that in the uk, most peices of cake are around 500 cals, carrot cake is higher ofcourse, its all the oil they out in it. I try and go for cheesecake and leave the base alone, at least the cheesecake is protein mostly and not just sugar and fat."

This is precisely why I never bake either, even though I'm capable of making some very simple stuff like Tollhouse cookies. Those simply can NOT be in the house, period as you know what happens to home-baked cookies that are any good. I did a brief stint with baking my own whole-grain breads and all years ago, but you know, same thing when it's fresh out of the oven and one will eat far more than one or two slices. Actually, these days I don't even BUY bread. The closest thing I have to it is Ezekiel sprouted english muffins - I have half of one of these at breakfast. And we do have whole wheat tortillas. But even with those, one has to be careful, as just one has 22 grams of carbs, so I cut one in half to bring the carb count down to go along with my eggs or some cheese. The only things my oven gets used for are the very occasional baked potato, or roasted veggies. I come from a family of excellent bakers, but most of that gene passed me by. Just today, a friend of mine was telling me that a friend of ours is a baker, but her stuff is full of refined flour and sugar, and she has arthritis, but refuses to change her eating habits.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That must've been a huge slice of cake!

Costa (a UK coffee shop) has all the calories on display by the counter, and they have carrot cake, It says it has about 615 calories per slice, and I thought that was a lot. Muffins there are about 450 calories. I guess in the UK we have smaller portion sizes than in the US.

I'm sure if you make cakes yourself they have less calories.

I prefer not to get cakes/dessert out.
    AHHHHH! I went to Costa yesterday with a friend and he had a slice of carrot cake. I'm glad I picked that egg sandwich instead. :P
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    restaurants suck. I hate them all.

You spend all that money on food only to learn that the food is all ****. I don't understand why it's so difficult for a restaurant to make decent food that has a normal amount of calories... but apparently they are all stupid and lazy and use prepackaged and frozen stuff and then add a pound of butter and whatever other fattening crap they use.

I hate restaurants.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    mmm CARROT CAKE!!!! I only allow myself that once or twice a year and always split the portion. Cream cheese icing adds lots of calories
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    At least with carrot cake you get " 1 of your 5 a day "

:drinker:

If you want carrot cake try
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/03/five-minute-carrot-cake-for-one/

Its a single serve ( though i ended up with 4 and froze 2). And much better than store bought/ restaurant.
    :smooched: :love:

I've stoped buying cakes/ biscuits and if i want some i have to make them myself. Normally by the time i get home i'm too tired to bake so i end up going without.
  • emtronics
    Options
    Test
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    1500 calories, Wow. You will have to jog about 2000 miles.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake hate.......your all reported.:smile:
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's easy to see why we put on weight isn't it. 1500 calories for a slice of cake.....the sad thing is, I see people's food diary all the time where they've added a 'generic' entry from the database after eating out, so it's like: 'Generic, Carrot Cake, 1 Slice - 249 calories' Yeah right, you just KNOW they didn't have a 249 calorie slice. 1500 is probably more likely to be close to the average.

My sister once made some death by chocolate cake thing and decided to work out the calories, thinking it would be 3-400 calories a slice. Turned out to be 1800 calories a slice.