1500 calories for a PIECE of cake?

Options

Replies

• vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One night a few weeks ago, my husband ordered Dominos pizza, and just the half of one that I had was over 1000 calories. Once I realized that I was glad that I didn't have a whole pizza to myself. I guess I should've realized though, pizza isn't exactly skinny food of course.
    This is where portion control comes in though. I've definitely eaten a fair number of entire pizzas to get where I am, but I remember family pizza night as a kid - the four of us were easily able to share one medium pizza. Two slices was satisfying, alone or with a side salad.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    People love muffins because they are so moist and light but what makes them so also makes them 700 Calories each!

I make moist and light muffins at only 80 calories per....what kind of muffins are you eatting?
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake always seems to be the highest. I don't know what the hell they put in to make it so calorific. Maybe they just mold it out of the lard and spray paint it orangey.

Carrot cake or carrot muffins always highest in fat because of the amount of OIL that is used to make them. If you were able to see the restaurant make the them you would never eat them. I worked at a donut shop a long time ago. Once you realize the ingredients it is impossible to eat without guilt
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I never order dessert at the restaurant, I'm usually pretty full after my meal plus those desserts are crazy expenssive.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i remember a friend of mine saying she wanted to order a piece of carrot cake because "it's so healthy". dafuq.

I know, right? Does carrot cake even have any carrots in it????
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I believe it! Desserts alone can be killer!
  • tootoop224
    Options
    My sister is a cake baker and makes a carrot cake TO DIE FOR!
    I said to her about making a skinny licious range which she won't do, personally I think she is missing a trick there, but get this she says to me her carrot cake is low fat because of all the carrots and pineapple she uses! She fails to mention all the butter, oil, cream cheese and castor sugar! It is absolutely loaded!

I think that all foods in restaurants should have a calorie content next to it, some do but not enough, I am sure it will make some think twice about what they put in their mouths, and also bar drinks, these young binge drinking girls that get plastered and into trouble on a weekend will think twice if they realise just how much calories they are drinking on their nights out.

That's just crazy talk!!!! I'm with you about posting calories for food items, but let's leave the drinks out of it. I don't see any problem with young (or even older) girls binge drinking and getting into trouble. Sheeeeshhh... what are you trying to do, ruin my social life????:laugh:
  • tootoop224
    Options
    Test

Test recieved. Now... what the hell are we testing again?:wink:
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I eat out 4 times per week and have been doing so while losing nearly 2.5lbs per week.
    I do so at lunch time though and have a meal more similar to a lunch in the evening.

The trick is to check the calories carefully. As an example I might have half a roast chicken basted in a hot sauce with a *small* portion of spicy rice and that will come in at around 800 cals. But that's all I'll have. No starter and no desert.

Deserts are very calories heavy, but even at 1,000 cals for one, I fail to see the harm once per month.

Everything is ok in moderation. There' no need to feel like you've failed if you have one desert every few weeks even when you're losing weight, much less maintaining it.

A bigger problem is candy bars, potato chips, bad main meal choices, multiple courses etc every week.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    People love muffins because they are so moist and light but what makes them so also makes them 700 Calories each!

I make moist and light muffins at only 80 calories per....what kind of muffins are you eatting?

I'm guessing... the kind you can see with the naked eye?:laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's crazy, isn't it? But I constantly see around here people talking about "oh, it takes 3500 calories to put on a pound" as if that's hard. I could easily put on a pound a day if I set my mind to it -- i.e. eating a piece of carrot cake like yours, getting some crepes at IHOP, eating half a pizza, and a burger and fries. BAM! The calories in foods at restaurants are really absurd.

When people say it takes 3500 calories to put on a pound, they are talking on top of maintenance. So if those foods added up to your maintenance calories for the day, you wouldn't gain a pound of fat. You may gain a pound of water weight, but thats about it.

To OP:
    Oh well, you live and learn.

Life is too short to not eat cake and sweets.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat out maybe twice/year. On a side note about portions, I work for Frito Lay (sorry that I contribute to the obesity epidemic, but they pay well) and the little $1.49 bags of chips at the registers of supermarkets - there are almost 3 servings in each little bag. Now do the people that buy those actually stop eating after 1/3 is gone?? I doubt it. And if you've ever looked at an individually wrapped muffin or danish, etc, it states there are 2 servings in each pkg!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Two words. Cheesecake Factory. Any of their desserts will AMAZE you.
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im confused, I looked up carrot cake and a slice comes in about 200 to 500 Calories.....Where did you get 1500 from?
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Speaking of muffins...I found a good no fat banana oat muffin recipe yesterday and made them, only 103 calories...Now if I could figure out how to post the recipe on here, I would. :ohwell:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful that more restaurants have nutrition guides available.
    I would like to think that they are mostly accurate :wink:
    It's nice to be able to go online before we even head out the door and make healthier choices.
    I've also learned a lot about what is and is not healthy/low calorie.
    Eye opening! :noway:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I never order dessert at the restaurant, I'm usually pretty full after my meal plus those desserts are crazy expensive.

Same with DH and me. Restaurant portions (even locally-owned, non-chain places) are too big for us and we almost always take some of it home in a box. There's rarely any room left for dessert! At business dinners, if others want to have dessert, I just enjoy another glass of wine.

Once in a great while (maybe every other month) they'll have a bakery cake at our church to celebrate something or other. Frosting on bakery cake is my weakness. I thoroughly enjoy a piece, don't think about the calories, then back away from the table.

For me, the shocker was bagels. We have the Einstein's chain here and sometimes people bring them in to work. I think a raisin one is something like 300 calories. Heck, they're not real bagels anyway. I lived in NJ in a town where they had a bagel shop that made real bagels, which are boiled in water before they're baked. No more Einstein's for me.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Restaurant dessert portions are always sized for sharing with between 2 and 4 people. The carrot cake slice that is 1500 calories is for 4. But restaurants don't tell us that.

When I go out, I look up the calories of desserts in chain restaurants before ordering. Then I usually pick the lowest calorie one and share it. If I know the calorie count before I eat it, I know how much of it I can eat before putting it in my mouth and dealing with the guilt after.

Ask for a separate plate so you can portion out your share of it and just eat that. I'm not ever going to give up dessert, but checking first then portioning out my share is my way of doing things and still being satisfied.