Why is surgery considered so wrong???

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think surgery is wrong. Some people need it to lose weight and the risks are outweighed by the benefits of the weight loss. My sister had WLS done in 2003. She lost all of her weight and has kept it off. I saw her struggling just like non surgery people, she needed the forced appetite control to get herself through it. No more high blood pressure problems for her and she is so much healthier.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Firstly congrats on your loss! Very proud of you!

I personally do not consider weight loss surgery "wrong" but I can see the point of view of others who think it may be an easy way out ( I do not think that). I personally think that there are those that are very close minded and don't realize how hard it can be for some people to actually lose weight. I thought it was impossible for myself but my mentality was all wrong. Fortunately I didn't have any health problems that would physically limit me from losing weight. I know my father on the other hand sticks his nose up when he hears of someone that has had wls. It upsets me that he's that way but he doesn't understand. He is one that says it's the "easy" way out. I beg to differ. Even though I have never had WLS I realize that there is no easy way out. You go under the knife, you have to recover, you still have to learn to eat differently, and you should *but don't have to* change your eating and exercise habits. I think there are people out there that think that people who go in for WLS are just there for a physical fix that will solve all their problems. I don't think these people realize that it's not that simple. As someone who has NOT had WLS I do see both sides to the equation. You can go in the surgery thinking that you won't have to change anything and that you will just magically lose weight, or you can go in and come out of surgery with the intent of changing your lifestyle as well. I know my aunt had WLS and she didn't change anything afterwards except for the fact she couldn't eat as much. She still ate crappy foods and never exercised. It's been 10 years since her surgery and she is bigger now than when she went in for the surgery.

But, I personally don't consider WLS wrong, it's for some people and for some people it's not. And who cares what the negative people have to say? It's not their life and it's only their opinion.... And you know what they say about opinions....
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just my two sense....

I have a Lapland and it helped me lose 80 pounds very quickly. But, guess what? I gained 40 of it back. After my surgery I did not work out and I thought this "tool" was supposed to make me lose everything. As with gastric, you can eat as much as you want. The band does have issues with leaking, etc. Looking back on it, I woudn't do it again because it did not change my mind set of being addicted to food. The change your mindset on food you have to put i the sweat and tears and work through every pound. In my opinion, the lapband is a major "cop out." I would not suggest it. I would suggest everyone to put in their sweat and tears into every pound so that you don't have the same issues down the road once you'ved reached your prefered weight. You will never get to your goal unless you have the mindset. When you finally have the mindset, you know deep down inside that NOONE/NOTHING is going to stop you from reaching your goal. I realized this one day at of the blue and I've been full force since then. The pounds are coming off and it makes me realize that I was an idiot for putting it off for so long.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Surgery is neither right, nor wrong. The deal with surgery is you better off not doing it unless it is medically necessary. My hubby has had three surgeries and I have had two. Recovery is a b!itch! But if it is necessary to save your life, or for some other dire medical reason, then it's necessary.
  • Quilled
    Quilled Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think WLS is wrong, and I certainly dont think its 'easy'. But to try and compare the difficulty level to someone who does it the old fashioned way, is not at all realistic. People with weight loss surgery are going to lose weight (at least for a while) regardless of what they do. If they eat until they throw up, if they eat nothing but junk, if they eat properly, if they exercise, if they dont exercise. It takes away the accountability in the decision making process. People doing it the old fashioned way still have that accountability, they still have to fight everyday over what they want to eat and they will face the consequences of weight gain or a halt in weight loss if they do give in. To lose weight the old fashioned way you HAVE to change the way you eat and you have to get up and get moving, there is no other option. I am not saying everyone who gets WLS sits on the couch, eat junk and still shrinks, but, thise who get WLS have essentially taken away the choice.

The statistics being thrown around are misleading. Like 95% of diets failing, that depends entirely on the definition of a diet. If you are doing south beach diet, 21 day diet, cabbage soup diet, of course they are going to fail, they are short term solutions to a long term problem. The root of the problem is changing your life FOREVER and not just a few days, weeks or months, because if you only do that you will of course gain the weight back, even those with WLS. WLS is 'reversible' over time. I can't remember the exact statistics but I know I am close, over a 10 year span, approx 80% of those who had WLS gained back at least half the weight, over 30% of that 80% gained back all of the original weight/put on more than the original weight.

In the end, diets, weightloss surgery, its all got the same problem, which is, if you use it as a temporary fix or crutch its going to be just that, temporary. What you really have to do is change your whole life, for the rest of your life, and the longer you stick to those good changes the better your chances of success are long term. WLS is one of the avenues to get there, however, I personally believe it often puts people in the wrong mindset. Because WLS is reversible, WLS is not a permanent fix and you will eventually put all the weight back on if you dont change your whole life in the process which can also be done without the surgery.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really care what anyone else thinks about me or the fact that I had lap band surgery. That decision was between myself and my doctor, and I am here on this site to learn how to fuel my body correctly and support others to get healthier themselves, in whatever way works for them. Period.
  • 240x30
    240x30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I too get frustrated when people judge those who have surgery. I have a thyroid problem. I spent 5 days in the gym last week and started 30 Day Shred and ate 1600 cals and lost 1lb. I'm over 300. I was told I was eating 3900 cals a day to maintain that weight all these years. WHAT? I have in no way been eating anywhere near 4000 cals a day? I work all day!

I'm starting to feel like I have no other choice.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm quoting one of the first people on the first page:
    People see weight loss surgery as wrong because it's basically handing over the responisbility of how much you eat to something else. You can't eat a lot, not because you choose not, but because you have a smaller stomach.

Hello world. I am one of those a**holes that think the surgery is wrong because you're handing over the responsibility of your body's consumption onto someone else.

I'm sure it's not easy - being forced to eat significantly smaller portions then you have ever consumed; but I have had multiple friends and coworkers - all that aren't more than may 75 lbs overweight - say they are considering it... simply because "it works". It's not easy. Losing weight IS DIFFICULT. Especially when you've got a good amount to get rid of.

God built my body a certain way with certain attributes. I'm figuring my stomach is a certain size because it needs to be. The gallbladder - had to go; cuz it was making me sick as a dog. That's different.

I don't ridicule those whom have gotten the surgery - but if you could crash land my thoughts - you would see that I feel it's cheating. Sorry. Told you I was an a**hole.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Let me give a bit of info. I have been overweight my entire life. I have not been a reall overeater until I moved in with my OH. I have always tried to eat healthily especially since I got IBS 15 years ago.
    I tried WW when I was 10, doctors have put me on diets including the legendary cabbage soup diet. 4 years ago I spent my six weeks summer holidays going to the gym for 1/2 hours a day and was on a 1500 calorie diet set by my doc. In 6 weeks I lost 3 pounds!

The weight continued to pile on. I used to put most on during the autumn winter then lose most of it during the sprong summer. This stopped after I moved in with my OH and ate more and more processed.

I decided enough was enough when I reached 23 stone and I am only 5 ft 3.

I went to see my doc who reccoemended me for surgery. I saw a member of the bariatric team who told me I had 5/10 years to live if I carried on....I was 37 years old. Once I stopped crying he talked about my history and my diet. I changed to no processed food at all and max 1200 calories a day. I bought a fit bit, joined here and worked hard and gave all my time and energy to losing as much weight as I could to be safe in the op. Towards the end bad eating habits started to creep in and I know I could not have done this over the long term. I lost 3.5 stone over the 5 months

I have had a gastric sleeve done and have lost 3 stone since my op. I now cannot over eat and am eating 800/1000 calories a day. Don't get me wrong this is not easy. I can still eat rubbish if I choose to. I still have to watch nutition and calories. I struggle to get my protein in and get my fruit and veggies. This is not an easy option, I have to watch every bite that goes into my mouth.

It does upset me when I read the posts on here about surgery. Surgery can be successful if you are ready to work at it. The difference is you have a tool that helps you. I read the forums to get food ideas but unfortunately I cannot share hints and tips with others who have had surgery because we are not encouraged to post that info here.

I am a lower weight now than I can ever remember being, I am able to move more, I get 10,000 steps in every day and am over 6 and a half stone lighter than I was in January. For me this is a success story. I have a life I never knew I could have and I am going to live to a good old age!!!

i don't know why people consider it wrong. maybe because they're judgemental, self righteous *kitten*? do what you gotta do to be happy. congrats on your weight loss!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I can see how someone who is dealing with medical complications from obesity could choose WLS or decide that it's the best route for them to go.

As long as you're happy with your decision and feel like you made the right one, I say, "good for you."

Personally, I have no interest in going to that kind of extreme to drop my weight, but then again, I'm not anywhere near morbidly obese either, and I don't have medical complications from my weight. My situation is entirely different as is, I suspect, my mindset. I do not consider it an "easy way out" as some others do, but rather I consider it just another option for people in a different situation than me.

OP, I hope you don't feel ashamed to share your story. You've still done the work to get and keep your weight off, and for that you should be proud.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've lost over one hundred pounds by changing what I eat and working out hard everyday. The only reason I have a problem with weight loss surgery is I think people who've lost weight "the hard way" and have set their mind to loose weight through diet and exercise don't get the credit they deserve for their accomplishments and the people who have had the surgery get lots of attention for it. Believe you me, I know this first hand:explode:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Honest response: I've kind of always put it in the same category as plastic surgery. I didn't realize I was judging (since I really could care less if someone gets their boobs done) but from reading these responses i guess its a lot more than a quick fix.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    People see weight loss surgery as wrong because it's basically handing over the responisbility of how much you eat to something else. You can't eat a lot, not because you choose not, but because you have a smaller stomach.
    A lot of people, including myself have been obese, morbidly obese, and lost the weight by sheer grit and determination. Also by doing a hell of a lot of research, reading books, experimenting with different foods and methods, talking to people who have lost the weight. My mothers best friend was 28 stone, she is now 10 stone. Not because she had weight loss surgery, but because she decided enough was enough and chose to not eat bad foods anymore. She is incredible and a weight loss hero.

I spent £3,000 training to become a hypnotherapist...in order to cure my depression, find out how to be a better person and explore the reasons behind my compulsive and obsessive over eating.

By getting sugery, you are fixing your body, not your head, which is where overeating and obesity comes from. You still have the urges to eat junk food.

IMOH, if every person had explored every possible way to gain a healthy relationship with food and exercise before getting the surgery. Then no surgeries would happen.

I think people, especially in the UK, are unhappy about weight loss surgeries, is because the funding for these operations comes out of the taxpayers pocket.

bump, love this
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!