Lean ground beef (95% or 96%) vs. ground Turkey

Options
13»

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Sometimes I use turkey, sometimes I use beef but usually I do a half/half blend of them.
  • cline7310
    cline7310 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    MY HUSBAND HAS INFORMED ME I CAN'T NOT MESS WITH HIS MEAT. SO TURKEY ANYTHING IS OUT OF THE QUESTION... BUT I DO USE THE LEANEST I CAN FIND!! :wink:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There is no great reason to choose turkey over beef every single time. Red meat is a valuable source of iron and other minerals. If you know how to eat in moderation, and you eat a wide variety of foods, you're not doing yourself any favors by constantly replacing everything with turkey. Yeah it's "leaner" but getting some animal fat is actually good.

I don't mind turkey meatballs or the occasional turkey burger. Turkey chili has a gummy, weird texture that I hate. Most of the time I will choose beef instead.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Mostly beef. Turkey on occaision. We have a freezer full of homegrown beef, lots and lots of hamburger around 90% so why spend money I don't have to :)

We also have pounds of burger that are a mix b/t venison and pork. Also lean and works in chilli, there's some at home in the crock pot right now.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i use ground turkey in everything, its easier for me to digest.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Turkey for me except if I'm grilling and sometimes there's just nothing like a good lean hamburger!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    turkey is better but i like to mix lean beef in there also. like on taco night!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    73/13 beef and dark meat chicken with the skin. I'm not fat-phobic.
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Really think ground turkey tastes worse than dirt, so I go for the ground beef. Tastes much better!
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I went to the Kosher Kroger the other day, and may I just say, the kosher ground beef just looked so much more REAL & healthier than the ground beef I usually buy at the regular supermarket. It looked leaner and just plain BETTER than the usual ground beef. I'm not Jewish, but the next time I buy any kind of beef, I think I'll be heading to the Kosher Kroger (also, it's WAY cheaper than Whole Foods!).

As for turkey burgers, I'm just not a fan.
  • naschulze
    Options
    neither. I read a study once that said DNA from 400 different animals were found in just 1 pound of ground beef, and that kind of turned me off to it. I used veggie patties now and I prefer those way more to the alternative. I get different flavors with veggie burgers and they have less calories and fat than meat patties. If I ever do decide to eat ground beef again it will probably be when I can afford to buy one of those machines to ground my own beef, that way I know it will be from a single animal and I don't have to wonder about the process.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    neither. I read a study once that said DNA from 400 different animals were found in just 1 pound of ground beef

WHERE an animal comes from is very important. Grass-fed beef is just amazing.

I'd love to see the study though, can you link it?
  • naschulze
    Options
    @ secretlobster

This isn't the study I read but it says something similar:
    http://www.think-aboutit.com/health/CattleDrive.htm

Come to think of it I believe I heard that from a story on NPR, they were telling a man that they were glad he ground his own meat because of that DNA study that was done. I don't remember what their source was or if there are specific brands, but NPR usually gives accurate information.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    @ secretlobster

"DISCLAIMER:
    I make no claims for the accuracy of this information and express no personal opinion on the matter. The information was acquired off the web and from authors (owners of said pages) and other sources and described as "information" and I wanted to pass it along to anyone who might find it interesting or otherwise useful. I'd appreciate any feedback you'd care to share with me if you wish to proceed in a civilized manner. If the work is yours please email me and we can work something out.
    I want to give the author the credit they deserve or remove the piece."

If you read the rest of the site, it's about aliens and conspiracy theories and an "article" about how AIDS was created by humans to cull undesirables from the gene pool.
  • naschulze
    Options
    @ secretlobster

"DISCLAIMER:
    I make no claims for the accuracy of this information and express no personal opinion on the matter. The information was acquired off the web and from authors (owners of said pages) and other sources and described as "information" and I wanted to pass it along to anyone who might find it interesting or otherwise useful. I'd appreciate any feedback you'd care to share with me if you wish to proceed in a civilized manner. If the work is yours please email me and we can work something out.
    I want to give the author the credit they deserve or remove the piece."

If you read the rest of the site, it's about aliens and conspiracy theories and an "article" about how AIDS was created by humans to cull undesirables from the gene pool.

So it's info he got from somewhere else, not a great example but that doesn't mean it's not true. Like I said, that is not where I heard it originally, I heard it on NPR, which is a credible source that unfortunately I can't link to. It was mentioned in a cooking segment and I couldn't find any articles on their site specifically about that. It's enough to make me skeptical.