Food Diaries: Open or Closed?

Options
123457»

Replies

• shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have mine open just now, but considering closing it. I have a very small appetite and regularly under-eat, even when I deliberately have extra snacks to make up calories, and it makes me feel very self conscious and guilty. But I'll keep it open for now because I love looking through others diaries for food ideas!
  • mombert
    mombert Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I for one am totally lost I don't know how to open or close my food diary, or how to add friends. I just log my food, put in the odd recipe and read some posts for encouragement, I think I'm technalogically challenged and that isn't helping matters so maybe there are more like me out there who really don't know how to open their diaries.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed for a couple of reasons that have been pointed out. I'm much more honest if it's closed. I don't need to be accountable to anyone else, I'm perfectly capable of being accountable to myself. I'm using MFP as a tool.

Also I know what I am supposed to eat. I know how many calories I need and how much fat and protein, etc. I don't need anyone telling me that I need to cut down on carbs or that I need to up my intake of veggies. I know that already.

Also I've never felt the need to look at anyone else's diary.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think the MAJORITY of people who keep them closed just don't know that it is, because that's the default setting.

I can't remember if mine is open, or just open to friends, but I like that it keeps me on my game! I sneak some bad snacks in, but make sure they fit. I also don't feel bad if I go over because I know that over the week, it balances out.

On having friends with private diaries: I don't want to give someone a thumbs up, or work harder tomorrow without knowing what their choices were. If the diary is closed, you can't tell if they were only over by 10 calories, but made great nutritional choices (big thumbs up!!!). I am much more inclined to high five that person, vs the person that met the calorie goals, but had junk all day and just made it fit.

That's just me :-D

Also, I like sharing, and I enjoy everyone getting ideas from each other :-D
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a naturally nosey and curious person and would like to put a question out there!
    Why do people keep their food diaries closed?

I have asked people on my own news feed and have had some interesting replies from people with open diaries but not as yet from someone who keeps theirs closed.
    I am not judging anyone who decides to do this I am just curious as to know their reasons.

I feel I should give my reasons for keeping mine open as it is not fair to ask for others to share if I am not willing to share myself!

I enjoy reading other people's diaries. I like to see how they have managed to stay under their goal and I love seeing the different combinations of foods. I often steal ideas for meals and snacks and swap recipes with friends. I enjoy the feedback I get from my friends on my diary. I like the positive comments when people want to know more about a meal or snack. I also welcome the not so positive comments. When people tell me I should be doing more or eating more/less that particular day. I find it motivates me and keeps me on my toes! When I moan about not losing as much as I hope, my friends look through my diary and tell me where they think I can tweak and change things.

I may only have 25 friends on here but I value quality over quantity. I have a few friends with closed diaries and I respect their decision as I do for anyone who decides to reply to this post. I appreciate all the support and advice I get from my friends!

I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks and seeing the variety of answers I receive. Also feel free to add me as a friend I try hard to be as supportive as I can but I do expect it in return! LOL xxx

Hi Mandy,

As you know we are friends and I only seen your request on your wall a few moments ago so answered it. So to anyone else here are the reasons as to why mine are closed.

1.sometimes I don't log my food on here but rather write it down on a diary as I go to see a dietician every week and have to anyways. She then lets me know either way where I am going wrong.

2. I am a recovering bulimic and I know the calories on some foods which were making me focus on foods that I could binge on and therefore leading to an attack of splurging which is why I am seeing my dietician and counsellor on a weekly basis.

3. The relationship that I currently have with food is not anyone else's concern so therefore if I am lying to myself I won't lose on the scales every week. I just need to be accountable to myself, yes my friends will give me advice either way however its up to me at the end of the day what I put into my mouth! You are already apart of my facebook diary where I keep my receipes on everything that I eat including my personal blog and you are welcome to ask me questions any time.

I think it really boils down to most people as well is a confidence issue. I have never dealt well in the past with being judged so I guess its a fear that if I open my diary I will get smart or judgemental comments from the public without people understanding my situation.

I know there are people who want to be friends with others only if their diary is open so that they can get tips like you said on what they are eating. Even I have lost friends in the past because I hadn't my diary open. So be it but that's it in a nutshell. :)