You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll start trying to eat breakfast with more protein now.

^^Someone read the original post, ignored the entire thread discrediting it, then posted this.

lofl
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll start trying to eat breakfast with more protein now.

^^Someone read the original post, ignored the entire thread discrediting it, then posted this.

lofl

On the other hand, most people don't eat enough protein in general. Adding it to breakfast might help.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Okay, I'll play: If you want to lose weight, you MUST exercise.

You're not fooling anyone!
  • nguyen3828
    nguyen3828 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow...Thanks for the tips...

My typical breakfast day would be

A cup of coffee (coffee mate + sugar) - didn't tolerate with substitute, it gave me a headache
    Quaker instant oatmeal with soy milk
    or
    2 slices of rye bread toasted (110 cal) + eggs white + light laughing cow spread cheese

I've recently learned never skip breakfast - because breakfast fuel my days...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.

Umm your point?
    All those definitions prove my point - it's a precondition, NOT a guarantee.
    ie. just because an animal eats doesn't mean it will live. Its head might get bitten off by a cougar. But if it doesn't eat at all it certainly won't live.

Nice try but come again.

point = If you "must" eat a deficit to lose weight then it is guaranteed that you won't lose weight without it. (which is not true)

True. I guess you can still lose weight while eating over TDEE - you can chop off a limb for example. Ok you got me! Please share how I can lose weight while eating more calories than I burn?

I keep asking him this, but he doesn't want to share his secret.

They could come back and say surgery (liposuction), or take a diuretic and lose water weight. That is weight loss without eating under TDEE, but misses the point that is trying to be made.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Breakfast doesn't have to be bacon and eggs, think outside the box!

What you talking bout, Willis! Stop now with your blasphemy!

arnold.jpg

:laugh:

He has a point. You don't HAVE to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast... but why bother living if you're not going to eat bacon at every waking opportunity!?
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I am hungry when I wake up, it fits my lifestyle, and energizes me. These are the only reasons why someone should eat breakfast. If you have energy and are not hungry when you get up, there is no reason to eat breakfast at all.

i totally agree, well said :smile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

But I want to be a dictator too!
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.

Umm your point?
    All those definitions prove my point - it's a precondition, NOT a guarantee.
    ie. just because an animal eats doesn't mean it will live. Its head might get bitten off by a cougar. But if it doesn't eat at all it certainly won't live.

Nice try but come again.

point = If you "must" eat a deficit to lose weight then it is guaranteed that you won't lose weight without it. (which is not true)

True. I guess you can still lose weight while eating over TDEE - you can chop off a limb for example. Ok you got me! Please share how I can lose weight while eating more calories than I burn?

I keep asking him this, but he doesn't want to share his secret.

They could come back and say surgery (liposuction), or take a diuretic and lose water weight. That is weight loss without eating under TDEE, but misses the point that is trying to be made.

Well, none of those are sustainable, which means they don't prove the claims he's been making.

Frankly I think he's completely wrong, but would like to read his reasoning, as I have an open enough mind to listen critically.

I mean, the whole calories in/calories out is my entire understanding of responsible weight loss. If that's somehow wrong, I want to know.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

But I want to be a dictator too!

Nope, sorry. Not believable.

Heh.
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at what a negative response the OP has had! I agree that "You must eat breakfast" might be quite a hard way of saying what works for him. I do think he is right. It is a well known fact that if you starve yourself your metabolism does slow down, 8 hours sleepis in effect an 8 hour fast and if you are trying to lose weight it is very likely you didnt eat before you went to bed. So where are you getting your energy from. Its likely you are cannibalizing your muscle mass and that isnt good for you. If you are trying to lose weight you really want to lose fat dont you? You dont want to lose muscle mass and fat. So you really should be into FAT loss not weight loss. Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else. The advantages here are easy to see no lean body mass is lost so your rate of fat loss must be greater. You will achieve your goals quicker. Give the guy a break Hes RIGHT!!

OMFG. We have another one!
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What do u mean U clown? omfg we have another one? doesnt wht I said make sense and if so why? I am puzzled. This is a forum on myfitnesspal insnt it? what people use to well achieve their goals with respect to weight loss, fitness?
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What do u mean U clown? omfg we have another one? doesnt wht I said make sense and if so why? I am puzzled. This is a forum on myfitnesspal insnt it? what people use to well achieve their goals with respect to weight loss, fitness?

Go to page 1 and read through the thread. The OP has been completely discredited but you repeat the same garbage.

This is getting tiresome.
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before bed. So i dont have any of that what you described. I do get up at 5.30 A.M have breakfast and im in the gym for 6.30 so without it I would definitely be struggling and thats 6 times a week:wink:
    I am amazed at what a negative response the OP has had! I agree that "You must eat breakfast" might be quite a hard way of saying what works for him. I do think he is right. It is a well known fact that if you starve yourself your metabolism does slow down, 8 hours sleepis in effect an 8 hour fast and if you are trying to lose weight it is very likely you didnt eat before you went to bed. So where are you getting your energy from. Its likely you are cannibalizing your muscle mass and that isnt good for you. If you are trying to lose weight you really want to lose fat dont you? You dont want to lose muscle mass and fat. So you really should be into FAT loss not weight loss. Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else. The advantages here are easy to see no lean body mass is lost so your rate of fat loss must be greater. You will achieve your goals quicker. Give the guy a break Hes RIGHT!!

Remember the food you ate the night before? Well it takes hours for that to digest and the energy to get into your system. And while you sleep your digestive system slows down, so it takes even longer for energy from the last food you ate to enter your system. Fasting for up to 24 hours is fine, after that you may run into some of the issues you describe.

So no, he is not right. It is the way he did it, but the reason he lost weight was that he was in a caloric deficit long enough to lose that much weight, it is that simple.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I disagree that everyone or anyone *MUST* do anything to lose weight. There is no catchall, we all have to do what works best for each of us.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Lies.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You need to stop drinking all alcohol, only eat the whites of eggs, replace all meat with turkey, and eat 8 meals a day or you'll never lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before bed. So i dont have any of that what you described. I do get up at 5.30 A.M have breakfast and im in the gym for 6.30 so without it I would definitely be struggling and thats 6 times a week:wink:

Remember the food you ate the night before? Well it takes hours for that to digest and the energy to get into your system. And while you sleep your digestive system slows down, so it takes even longer for energy from the last food you ate to enter your system. Fasting for up to 24 hours is fine, after that you may run into some of the issues you describe.

So no, he is not right. It is the way he did it, but the reason he lost weight was that he was in a caloric deficit long enough to lose that much weight, it is that simple.

yes but if you ate a 6 pm the night before it takes hours for that to finish digesting (most likely you are in bed while it is still digesting, so your body has that energy to use (live on) after you wake up.
  • milleyea
    milleyea Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bet OP is a member of the 1200 calorie per day church of MFP also.

:heart: this!

:laugh: