You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• TinkyT82
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1144

This website has some great information in it. It's all personal preference to what works for people's weight loss. You can do whatever works for you, I'm just trying to back up what I'm saying with some research :)
  • TinkyT82
    Options
    I will just leave as to each his own. Every one has an opinion :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast at all either but I started out small and eventually my body became used to eating in the morning and eventually I actually became hungry in the morning. Or even if you have read any research done on the eating 6 small meals a day, you would need to be eating one of those meals in the morning or whatever you would consider the "morning" It doesn't have to be right when you get up. Normally my breakfast I eat at work so obviously I've been up for a little while before then. Starvation will cause you to lose weight obviously, but you will gain it back much faster when you begin to eat normally again. So why not start a healthy routine in the beginning?

I did not just read on six small meals a day I did it in practice for about four years and then I came across the leangains site and also Brad Pilon's eat/stop/eat....when I at six meals a day I would be starving at night time...and then sometimes in the morning I would force myself to eat when not hungry and then would feel bloated and then be starving again two hours later...So I decided to expieriment iwth the lean gains 18/6. It is not starving myself as I still eat about 1800 t0 2000 cals a day.. I just get most of my cals in my post work out window....hell, I still eat breakfast on Saturday, I just think that IF is a different way to look at eating and you are not a slave to six small meals a day.

eating breakfast has nothing to do with "eating healthy' if you wake up and have five panckakes with syrup and butter but someone else just has water and coffee who is more "healthy" ....
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm generally more hungry when I do eat breakfast than when I don't.. I usually eat my first meal of the day around noon. But that's just me.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast every morning because I work out in the mornings.... do it for energy to get me through workouts.
  • theCoke
    theCoke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast every day was the first healthy change I made. Eating breakfast gave me energy and reduced my late night snacking. When people don't eat breakfast it drives me crazy! Especially when they complain about being tired!
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    I eat breakfast regardless if i'm hungry or not but its usually bread type things or a fruit smoothie. Usually eat a half hour or hour after getting up anyway The later I eat the less hungry I am for lunch.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it really just depends on the person and what works for them. There is no "set' program. Each person is different and they have to find what works best for them. I HAVE to eat breakfast. I can't go without it. However, a good friend of mine lost over 100 pounds 3 years ago, and never eats breakfast. She was successful in her weight loss and keeping it off. She has never felt deprived or unsatisfied.

To each their own.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I always hated the word must.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I get up around 7:30-8 and I always eat breakfast.

At noon.

That's of course how I lost 73 pounds.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight, and make sure it includes lean protein. Eating lean protein at breakfast is one of the most important things you can do to fell less hungry.

Even if you don’t feel hungry in the morning, eat breakfast anyway. It may be a challenge, but this is something you can do. Breakfast will help you prevent hunger later on. It will reduce your appetite and cravings and help you stick with your eating plan all day long.

I start my day off with good breakfast. For me it means non-starchy vegetable, fresh low-sugar fruit, lean protein, whole grain bread, and healthy fats (I take Omega 3 supplement).

This is my average day, but I generally eat the same things from day to day:

blueberries, blackberries, or apple,
    1 slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with
    1 slice of 99% fat free turkey breast,
    1 fresh tomato hot tea (no milk, no sugar).

As you can see it is not a typical "breakfast foods". The protein consumption, when eaten as part of the daily first meal reduces my appetite throughout the day. I also believe that it jump-starts my metabolism and sets my body in the optimal fat-burning state.

Eating like this was initially a little challenging, but I got used to it. It has become a part of my eating strategy that caused me to lose 91 pounds without feeling hungry.

I eat breakfast every day

I was able to lose quite a bit of weight without breakfast. 140lbs in 7 months to be exact. Thanks though.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It sounds like this guy is trying to write a book about his "plan" that he has developed and is trying to see if people are actually stupid enough to buy into all of his made up 'science'.

The answer is yes, people are stupid enough but you'll have to approach Dr. Oz to locate your targeted audience.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nothing is ever set in stone or black and white with losing weight. Too many variables to say that unequivocally ...one must eat breakfast to succeed at weight loss.

That being said, I do find that eating breakfast prevents the immense hunger cravings that I tend to get at the end of the day. But I think that if I skipped Lunch i would get the same craving too.

I think really every person has to find what works FOR THEM.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.
    Disagree. You MUST do what works for you, and to heck with everything else.

As crazy as it sounds, humans are not all made the same.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hate breakfast, it's my least favourite meal of the day so I am loathe to eat high calorie when I don't want to, leaving me short for the rest of the day.

I've tried it, I have tried everything over the years it has taken me to lose close to 100lbs and for me it makes NO difference whatsoever, as long as my total calroies in vs total calories out is at a deficit I lose weight.

I have settled on 100 cals for breakfast, usually just a slice of toast or a crumpet, something carby.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Personally I don't care for breakfast though I don't mind drinking tea or coffee.

Glad to see you found a way to lose weight by eating breakfast OP.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When you skip breakfast your brain is forced to work extra hard in breaking down stored carbohydrates or to turn fats and proteins into usable forms of glucose. Eating breakfast has been proven to improve concentration, increase your problem solving capabilities, enhance overall mental performance and even boosts your memory and mood.

Those who skip breakfast are the usually the ones who turn to snacking later in the day in an attempt to ward off low energy levels. Allowing your body to become over-hungry leads to distorted satiety signals, and leaves the door wide open for overeating later in the day.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? Did we need EIGHTEEN pages of "nu-uh, not true?" Wow...
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

LOL Well that about sums it all up.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    total rubbish!! i've lost 125lbs and i don't often eat breakfast. I mostly have coffee in a morning and don't eat till late morning before i go to the gym.
    You do what works for you, there is no hard and fast rule about what you MUST do to lose weight