You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Lies.

:laugh: The title of this thread cracks me up every time I read it.

I NEVER eat breakfast and yet somehow lost 26 pounds. How's that? :laugh: :noway:

you must be unique snowflake :laugh:
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Lies.

I NEVER eat breakfast and yet somehow lost 26 pounds. How's that? :laugh: :noway:

I have lost over 70lbs not eating breakfast - what does that make me - an even more unique snowflake?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose weight, you must: eat 1.5 carrots, 4 chicken thighs, 2 turtle doves, and bushel of blackberries every day. Eating any more or less of these items will result in exponentially increasing obesity. Want to eat only 1.45 carrots? Fine, your call. Happy heart attack. What's that? You want to eat 3 turtle doves? Great. Go for it. Best lay out that welcome mat for your BMI of 78.

I've told you what to do to lose weight, as scientifically proven by my thurough guesstimation and cum hoc ergo propter hoc logic.

You're welcome.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Awesome word, "magnific!"
    :embarassed: Sorry for the mistake, I'm spanish and as you can imagine my english is far away from being perfect.

No mistake on your part. It actually is a word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/magnific

And it's awesome!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've told you what to do to lose weight, as scientifically proven by my thurough guesstimation and cum hoc ergo propter hoc logic.

Your superior logical arguments have no place in this thread.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I am hungry when I wake up, it fits my lifestyle, and energizes me. These are the only reasons why someone should eat breakfast. If you have energy and are not hungry when you get up, there is no reason to eat breakfast at all.

I agree with this post^^^. When I eat breakfast (which usually consists of watermelons, or grapes, or cereal), I rarely include any meats. I've lost weight doing this. I think losing weight is different for everyone.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    every single meal you eat is breakfast. when you eat, you are breaking the fast that started after your previous meal. It might be a 3 hour fast or a 16 hour fast or for some, a 10 minute fast.

when you eat you break the fast and we call that breakfast. so the real question is, when should you break the fast that you started after your last meal. When you wake up? after you work out? or whenever you want?
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here on these MFP forums now and again a thread comes long which is truly outstanding and merits a read of each and every response. Have laughed and cried and now need a nap. Thanks to all who added their tuppence worth, especially angry diet whose pithy one liners cracked me up.
    Thanks for the entertainment folks.....loved it.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I am hungry when I wake up, it fits my lifestyle, and energizes me. These are the only reasons why someone should eat breakfast. If you have energy and are not hungry when you get up, there is no reason to eat breakfast at all.

I agree with this post^^^. When I eat breakfast (which usually consists of watermelons, or grapes, or cereal), I rarely include any meats. I've lost weight doing this. I think losing weight is different for everyone.

THANK YOU! The one thing everyone needs to understand is that everybody's body is different. For me, I have to eat breakfast because it helps me get a good start on the day. I do change up my breakfasts ever so often. One morning it could be a cup of cereal and a cup of skim milk. The next morning I could be eating a Chobani yogurt and Fiber One brownie. The next morning could be a homemade breakfast wrap with the Tumaro's wrap, broccoli, and chicken or egg (LOADS healthier than one of those fast food breakfast wraps). Since I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January, I've had to make major changes in my diet, and so far I've lost 40 pounds! (Overall, it's been 52 pounds since being at my highest at 192 in 2010). My scale only shows 10 pounds because I haven't been with MFP that long.

Go with whatever works for you. For some of us, breakfast is extremely important while for others, perhaps not so much. It just depends on each person's individual needs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Lies.

I have lost over 70lbs not eating breakfast - what does that make me - an even more unique snowflake?

That makes you.......... A WIZARD!! :laugh:
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    I wonder who will be the lucky 500th poster...and is there a prize.... If so, I hope it's breakfast at IHop.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    love my breakfast....

Coffee
    Almonds

protein mix (w/yogurt) before (mid-morning) and after an intense workout :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Here on these MFP forums now and again a thread comes long which is truly outstanding and merits a read of each and every response. Have laughed and cried and now need a nap. Thanks to all who added their tuppence worth, especially angry diet whose pithy one liners cracked me up.
    Thanks for the entertainment folks.....loved it.

Yes, it is entertaining. That may have been lost on a few people.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I Have been on MFP for bout three months now and every once in a while someone posts this breakfast deal about losing weight and I just now the comments are going to start rolling in lol....I usually know some of the response before I read them! You will get the BS calls, and of course the starvation mode folks, and the IF'ers calling everyone out = hilarious..

Myself, I have been experimenting with leans gainst 18/6 fast for the past four weeks (this is week four)..I have been skipping breakfast and dropped about a pound of weight and maybe 1% body fat..I really need to get some calipers as that reading is based on body weight scales..I weigh twice a day and take average...

I work out five days a week heavy weights - squats, deadlifts, weighted pulls/chins, clean and press etc etc....

I think after six weeks I would stick with leangains/IF but I think the best advise is to eat when hungry and make sure you get your macros in and meet the goals that you set for yourself..
  • TinkyT82
    Options
    Eating breakfast every morning is not essential for losing weight but it does help control hunger which helps with weight loss. Studies have been completed in this very area and show that breakfast eaters have an easier time with weight loss. People that skip breakfast, their bodies are almost in starvation by the time lunch rolls around which can lead some people to chose unhealthy food or over eat. Spreading your calories throughout the day help keeps your body from reaching that point of being starving which helps fuel your body and keep you making healthy food choices!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

"When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."--Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eating breakfast every morning is not essential for losing weight but it does help control hunger which helps with weight loss. Studies have been completed in this very area and show that breakfast eaters have an easier time with weight loss. People that skip breakfast, their bodies are almost in starvation by the time lunch rolls around which can lead some people to chose unhealthy food or over eat. Spreading your calories throughout the day help keeps your body from reaching that point of being starving which helps fuel your body and keep you making healthy food choices!

"When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."--Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School

What if you are not hungry when you wake up? For the past four weeks I have not "broken my fast" unti about 12:30 each day and I am not "starving". Also, from my reading Starvation mode only begins when one does a 24 to 36 hour fast...

If what you are saying is true how did I drop 1pd of body weight and 1% body fat in four weeks?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I will also say when I used to eat breakfast I would eat like three eggs, three egg whites oatmeal fruit etc...and then about two hour later be starving...how can that be if by eating breakfast one staves off starvation mode?
  • TinkyT82
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast at all either but I started out small and eventually my body became used to eating in the morning and eventually I actually became hungry in the morning. Or even if you have read any research done on the eating 6 small meals a day, you would need to be eating one of those meals in the morning or whatever you would consider the "morning" It doesn't have to be right when you get up. Normally my breakfast I eat at work so obviously I've been up for a little while before then. Starvation will cause you to lose weight obviously, but you will gain it back much faster when you begin to eat normally again. So why not start a healthy routine in the beginning?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This is just not universal. I agree with this argument for some and if it makes compliance with goals easier, then great. I have the opposite issue. It makes compliance harder. If I skip breakfast and eat a larger lunch and dinner, my compliance to my goals is better and easier. If eat breakfast, I start the cycle of hunger and satiety and more focused on food all day.

I'm also hoping you are using starving here "Spreading your calories throughout the day help keeps your body from reaching that point of being starving which" as a euphamism and don't actually believe that state to be near after 12 hours or 16 hours or even 24 hours. The data indicates that metabolism actually inctreases after 24 hours fasted and remains that way for about 3 days at which point it begins to slow. So, while some may feel hungry, you are nowhere near starving.

Lastly, there is much data that would disagree with the Duke doctor you cited. It takes longer that 12 or 24 hours for any of the responses she describes to take place. There are many links to research data on the Leangains site you may find interesting. WebMD would not be considered a highly authoritative site.

Bottom line, there is not metabolic or physiological advantage that has been proven and the main issue is what works best for compliance for an individual and what works best to enable thier training and exercise to be most effective. Both good reasons to do it if it works best for you or to not if not.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This is just not universal. I agree with this argument for some and if it makes compliance with goals easier, then great. I have the opposite issue. It makes compliance harder. If I skip breakfast and eat a larger lunch and dinner, my compliance to my goals is better and easier. If eat breakfast, I start the cycle of hunger and satiety and more focused on food all day.

I'm also hoping you are using starving here "Spreading your calories throughout the day help keeps your body from reaching that point of being starving which" as a euphamism and don't actually believe that state to be near after 12 hours or 16 hours or even 24 hours. The data indicates that metabolism actually inctreases after 24 hours fasted and remains that way for about 3 days at which point it begins to slow. So, while some may feel hungry, you are nowhere near starving.

Lastly, there is much data that would disagree with the Duke doctor you cited. It takes longer that 12 or 24 hours for any of the responses she describes to take place. There are many links to research data on the Leangains site you may find interesting. WebMD would not be considered a highly authoritative site.

Bottom line, there is not metabolic or physiological advantage that has been proven and the main issue is what works best for compliance for an individual and what works best to enable thier training and exercise to be most effective. Both good reasons to do it if it works best for you or to not if not.

This ^^^^