URGENT Mother in Law

Options

Replies

• BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started. Mine was here for dinner last night after flying in for her 8th booty call/online hook up in 3 years.

How about, "I hear your daughter's a *kitten*. Branch didn't fall far, eh?"

:-D
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I don't have to worry about a mother in law as she is now an out-of-law but I have to worry about that with my own mother. Bite thy tongue, zip thy lips and smile and nod and just agree with whatever they say as long as you don't have to make a commitment to anything.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's just the opposite for us! My MIL is wonderful! She always agrees with me...LOL!! She NEVER sides with my husband. We bonded instantly. We have a lot in common. My husband probably feels the way that you do about my mom...LOL!!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm POSITIVE you SHOULDN'T say is, "Wow! When are you due?" LMAO! :laugh:

Hope I made you smile...
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You could try: "Wow, I'm sure glad you didn't pass that crazy gene down to your son!"

or

"I'm sorry, I don't speak B*tchenese, could you try that in English, please?"

or

"Wait!....nope, I still don't give a *kitten*".
  • Katydone
    Options
    As a mil I've found out there is nothing I can say that is all right...everything gets misinterpreted and second guessed. We hardly see our two sons or our grandchildren. I would say treat her like an individual and give her respect for having raised your husband. I had a wonderful relationship with my mil. I realized that him loving his mom made him just that much of a better husband and father. I wish my dils would tell me when I have said something that is hurtful to them...I try to love them and treat them with respect.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Omg I not only have a crazy mil but a crazy grandmother in law as well! She looks in our windows if we don't answer the door right away and when my daughter was a baby I was giving her a bath and the crazy grandmother in law took her clean onsie and stuck in underneath her giant boob to "warm it up!" whatttttttt??? :noway: oh and it was July!

So no I didn't put that onsie on her! Nasty!
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Avoid the truth at all costs. For instance, don't say:

"I've been dreading this lunch with you so much, I hardly slept last night."

"No appetizer for me, please, I want this lunch to end as soon as possible."

"I couldn't have the pasta, I'm so nervous it would come right back up."

On the bright side, if you're too wound up to eat, maybe it will help you diet!
    Awesome - -laughed & cried... a litttle :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What makes you think I wanted to know that?
    Have you thought about developing friendships with people your own age (I actually told her that one)

Mine (to be fair, this is my ex-mother in law - my "outlaw") talks 100 mph so there's no time to actually say anything - then she'll stop and ask an intensely personal, none-of-your-business kind of question. Her latest obsession is when my daughter might start her periods. I've learned an awful lot about when my MOL developed breasts and started menstruating - or rather, I would have if I hadn't tuned her out. Then she'll ask "So when did YOU start..." and I tell her "I'm not comfortable sharing that with you."

My Dad's response to people asking prying questions was "What exactly would you do with that information, if you had it?" Watching them try to say something other than the truth (so I can gossip about you) is very entertaining.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    You could try: "Wow, I'm sure glad you didn't pass that crazy gene down to your son!"

or

"I'm sorry, I don't speak B*tchenese, could you try that in English, please?"

or

"Wait!....nope, I still don't give a *kitten*".

Can I say these in my head?!!!
  • hungryshay
    hungryshay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks but no thanks on the parenting advice. I live with a kid you raised and he could definitely use some work.

:)

Good luck!
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    As a mil I've found out there is nothing I can say that is all right...everything gets misinterpreted and second guessed. We hardly see our two sons or our grandchildren. I would say treat her like an individual and give her respect for having raised your husband. I had a wonderful relationship with my mil. I realized that him loving his mom made him just that much of a better husband and father. I wish my dils would tell me when I have said something that is hurtful to them...I try to love them and treat them with respect.

I have tried the "honest" approach to the many things she's said & done mean to me.... the truth is she doesn't want to hear it... she just wants me to be someone else.... more like her... someone she can like.
    I will NEVER do this again - its a surefire backfire everytime
  • cherryberry2x4
    Options
    Absolutely do NOT mention the adorable star shaped mole your hubby has on the left side of his ding dong. She will NOT be amused. *troll face*
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Absolutely do NOT mention the adorable star shaped mole your hubby has on the left side of his ding dong. She will NOT be amused. *troll face*
    Ha HHA HA
    Thanks for laugh...
    Thanks everybody!
    I sooooo needed this!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I feel sorrier for the MIL my husband has to deal with.

That would be my hubby. Me on the other hand had the best mom in law. I always called her mom.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was lucky, my mother-in-law was wonderful, I miss her more than I miss my ex-husband anyway!! My new partner's mum is lovely too, only met her a few times, I adore her son, what could she dislike? Good luck with lunch, smile a lot and count to ten before you reply, just to give you time to re-think the response just in case!!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Anytime i can have a conversation with my mil without calling her a bigot is a success.

other marks of success:
    not rolling my eyes so frequently that someone asks if om having a seizure.
    Not threatening her when she tries to convince my hubby that he should leave me.
    Not screaming her stupid every time she tells me im going to hell.
    Not laughing when she goes into hysterical sobbing whenever she sees her grandkids eat candy.
    Not asking her what the odds of a house falling on her are, since she lives in kansas.

Be so sweet sugar wont melt in your mouth. then, as soon as lunch is over, get on here and let us know if you need to borrow a shovel
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Oh... good luck to you. MY potential future Mother-In-Law is a religious NUT. You can't even say "dam" in that house if you stub your toe!

"Dam" for me? Yeah... that's WATCHING my language!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's only lunch not a road trip. Maybe get to the reastarant early and get something put in your drink, or hers.
    Be kind, it always shocks people into good behavior.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I really like my future MIL, however my future FIL is another story. He has a way of throwing off a vibe of "you aren't good enough for my son" at all times... If he only KNEW. That and he talks about himself 24/7 and couldn't care less about getting to know me whatsoever.

I just smile and nod despite the fact that I don't agree with 90% of the **** that comes out of his mouth.