URGENT Mother in Law

Options

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Thanks but no thanks on the parenting advice. I live with a kid you raised and he could definitely use some work.

:)

Good luck!

Hahaha! I'll have to borrow this one when we have kids one day.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    MIL's are tricky. Try to relax and to SEEM relaxed around her. She'll either be relieved that you're so comfortable with her or she'll be ticked that she didn't have you shaking in your boots. Either way, you win!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Least said, soonest mended. Just smile and nod a lot :smile: Good luck!

^^ This. Just be polite and listen attentively. Who knows, you might actually grow to like her :)
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty great MIL, most of the time. I talk about whatever she talks about, cooking- the kids, etc. I do NOT talk about politics, shows on Lifetime, or religion. Those things would be dealbreakers.

My husband has a nightmare of a MIL. He just makes sure we always face her as a unit. Never leave each other alone when they are here or the once a year we go out there. Can't let one or the other get sucked in by my mom OR my father.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Could I say:
    "I thought that might be your perspective, you don't hide your negative feelings well."
    When she criticizes me? Or would that just be starting an argument?
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    "Can you breathe on this bread for me to toast it?"
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't do what I do - which is get sooooooo wound up and nervous about not being 'up to par' that I become super awkward - and so when we come to do the obligatory 'hello, how are you hug?' I ALWAYS get my arms wrong - do we, don't we hug? - and I end up holding their boobs. Yup, my hands develop a mind of their own , I aim too high and instead of hands on the waist, it's hands in the boobage area.

And the more I try not to do it the more insane my arms become.

Doofus.

OH MY GOSH! I have the same problem, but with my face, and only with my boyfriend's uncle and good friend. For some reason, when I hug those 2 men, and ONLY them, they seem to want to go the same direction with their head as I do, so we ALWAYS end up almost smashing faces. GOD it's so awkward. I have been dating my boyfriend for 3 yrs, met this uncle and this family friend (guy about my dad's age) at about 3 mos and 6 mos respectively--so that's A LOT of awkward kiss/hug disasters. EVERY time I self talk in advance "ok, let them take the lead, don't lean your head until they do, DON"T ALMOST KISS THE UNCLE OR FRIEND this time" but what do you know, BAM, near lip smush every time.

I'm a bit relieved that I"m not the only one with uncooperative body parts.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    smile_and_wave1_zps72f6a8bb.jpg

Don't know how to post pict.:sad:
    now, there you go, Yeah!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry that you have an abundance of healthy family members that really want to spend time with you. Im sure it sucks hairy biker *kitten*. You have my condolences.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My MIL used to live with us early on in our marriage........caused all kinds of grief and disrespect......even told me "once" that
    "I'm not the one who married a woman who could not have any more kids"..................needless to say I told my husband it's me or her and completely your choice............she lives with his sister now and we get along great!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i absolutely LOVE my MIL, my husband's MIL on the other hand...
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Offer her an other bottle of wine / Shot of tequila, etc.
  • mamakira
    Options
    How did it go? Did she survive?:bigsmile:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'm married for 34 years. Cheerful and stupid works every time, I promise :-)
    lol! this....the less drama, the more they like you and wont bother you about anything;) which in turn makes YOU the smarter one! eh? think about it;)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Pretending I didn't understand her was about the only thing I could do with my MIL. She only spoke french, and I let her believe that I didn't really understand or speak it. (Which is not true - I'm functionally bilingual) Hubby went along with the rouse.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My MIL is usually too busy burping, snorting, loudly blowing her nose, and just being inappropriate in general to pay any attention to what I have to say. Makes for a pleasant experience at the Thanksgiving dinner table.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    lol! this....the less drama, the more they like you and wont bother you about anything;) which in turn makes YOU the smarter one! eh? think about it;)

I so do this, working for me so far LMAO" :o)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

"You know, you really messed up with raising your son.. here's a quick list of everything I blame you for"

hah! Was thinking along those same lines recently. Pity we can't actually hold the moms accountable :grumble:
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    things you SHOULDNT say....hahah -"well, everybody KNOWS we dont like eachother, so why do we both go on pretending this way? lets just glove up, throw down and do this already! "
    haha i cant take 10min alone with mine, she picks away at me constantly. ill never be good enough and im done trying to please her. i just say whatever now. the time is quickly approaching that she and i will 'face off'. you can only swallow someone elses **** for so long...for me 8 years is plently long enough. after i had the kids i also grew some balls. she still infuriates me like no other. she woulda been my bff for life if i would have never gotten pregnant. now we're married with 2 kids and she knows im here for good. SUFFER WOMAN!
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    Options
    What NOT to say: "Getting to know you better has made me understand where my husband gets his *kitten* behaviour from"